What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardest man to ever play league

Its the off season so its time for another 'Toughest players of all time' thread.

Pick your toughest players of all time and state your reasons why

Current - Shane Webcke Has the best work ethic and the best attitude in the NRL, doesn't need to throw a punch to prove he's tough (largely because he can't fight), has played with some bad injuries. Broken arm in 2000 final series and busted ribs in last years Origin series come to mind.

All time - Geoff Toovey (Little big man, no one tougher pound for pound)

Also, Brendan Tuuta. He never rates a mention in these threads and although he wasn't 'tough' in the traditional sense he was madder than a cut snake. I've never seen a player run so hard at the defensive line

If we're going by biff and aggression I'd have to say Tallis. Sure, most players from the 80s and 70s were a lot handier with their fists than those of today but I've never seen a player who put the fear of God into their opponent so consistently. Passionate and unrelenting in attack and defence

Garts

Bench
Probably more to do with courage than toughness but I will go for Tooves, for a small man he never took a backward step. Loved watching him play.

Booyah

Bench
Les Davidson, as voted by those who count the most - his peers.

You deadset couldn't hurt Davo with a Sledgehammer.

Ian Roberts was also one tough bastard.

Garts

Bench
John Sattler must have also been a tough bastard, playing a game with a broken jaw. Jesus that would hurt!!!

coolumsharkie

Referee
Kimmorley is a tough bugger... non too popular but anyone that plays on with a ruptured testical deserves a little respect.

I'd have to say the toughest footy was in the seventies no doubt...

Prodigiousman

Juniors
Ruben Wiki and Webcke immediately stand out from the current group of players... a group from the players i've seen requires more thought.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
gregstar said:
graeme o'grady

in fact, the entire western suburbs pack of 1977 - 1980.

there was something about Wests

I'd go for Noel Kelly (showing my age), but if you ever saw him play, you'd know why

Peter Diamond was another tough nut from the Magpies

ozbash

Referee
tough ? aussie doesnt have the word in its vocab...
the majority of aussie players are bloody hollywood throwing wimps,, johns,kimmorley,buderus,woolford ,finch etc etc etc

tough- mark graham-dean lonegan-tamati bros-q pongia-sorrenson bros-wiggs-sbw-sam stewart-orchard bros-johnny lomax.

theres a tough team for you.

aussies, tough ?????
bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa

Skinner

Coach
Davidson
Roberts
Donnelly
Cement

but in terms of toughness and guts, Toovey....got smashed his entire career
and never took a backward step.

Skinner