What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hardest man to ever play league

innsaneink said:
Did you see Brian Clay play?

I dunno about Beetson and tough...or toughest, he was tough but not up with the toughest. How old are you?

Preacher& ozzie & Twizzle: Did you see Hornery play......and if you did, did you ever see Jim Cody play....was apparently a tough one, a niggly backrower for the Magpies....never took a backward step
jimcody68.jpg

Darth Bobo

Charlie Saab said:
when has Gower ever "dived"

I remember the incident so it could have been a Tigers game. With his post match interview I remember his smirk and the comment along the lines of "We got the penalty".

It wasn't a soccer dive but he did milk a penalty.

thickos

First Grade
Jason Croker. In 2001 he won the John Sattler award after playing a match vs the Roosters with a partially torn MCL and a small fracture in the other leg. It was the ultimate match of attrition with Mark McLinden breaking his jaw, several other injuries and no-one left on the bench when Croker hurt himself.... so he stayed on and "defended" on the wing.

To stay out there was a simply inspiring sight for a Raiders fan - and we won in the dying stages too :D

ibeme

First Grade
Wristy McSlashalot said:
If we're going by biff and aggression I'd have to say Tallis. Sure, most players from the 80s and 70s were a lot handier with their fists than those of today but I've never seen a player who put the fear of God into their opponent so consistently. Passionate and unrelenting in attack and defence

Les Boyd used to have opposition players running away from him. He was a psycho. I know a bloke who used to play for the Roosters (won't mention his name), and played against Les Boyd. He accidentally trod on Les' hand. Les spent the rest of the game chasing him.

Peter Sterling might throw in a vote for Jeff Robinson as being a hard man also.

JJ

Immortal
Can only comment on who I've seen...

Some that stand out:
Mark Broadhurst
Chris Mortimer
Crag Gower
Shane Webcke

Spike

First Grade
Geoff Toovey was a hard little nut. I remember him taking numerous hits throughout his playing career and walking them off on wobbly legs for a while before getting back in it.

Others that come to mind are Alan Cann, Shane Webcke, Danny Nutley, Marc Glanville, David Gillespie, Bill Dunn, Billy Johnstone, Paul Sironen,

number8

Juniors
Gary Hardaker
Bill Hardcastle
Roert Hardie
John Harding
V Hardiman
Ralph Harding
K Harden
Ted "tich" Harding
Bill Hardman
Jack Hardman
Hevin Hardwick
Bill Hardy
Don Hardy
G Hardy
Jeff Hardy
John Hardy
Ken Hardy
Les Hardy
M Hardy
N Hardy
Nelson Hardy
Scott Hardy
Steve Hardy
Ty Hardy

Apparently, Craig Izzard, Bob Izzard, Brad Izzard too, & Grant Izzard.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Darth Bobo said:
I remember the incident so it could have been a Tigers game. With his post match interview I remember his smirk and the comment along the lines of "We got the penalty".

It wasn't a soccer dive but he did milk a penalty.
Exactly. And it was Scott Sattler, his former teammate, who he took the dive off. It was the most blatant dive ever and forever made Gower a cat, regardless of other displays of toughness.

An41

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
Exactly. And it was Scott Sattler, his former teammate, who he took the dive off. It was the most blatant dive ever and forever made Gower a cat, regardless of other displays of toughness.

It was late and High, it deserved a penalty anyways but I dont condone what Gower did

sooperdooper

First Grade
ozbash said:
tough ? aussie doesnt have the word in its vocab...
the majority of aussie players are bloody hollywood throwing wimps,, johns,kimmorley,buderus,woolford ,finch etc etc etc

tough- mark graham-dean lonegan-tamati bros-q pongia-sorrenson bros-wiggs-sbw-sam stewart-orchard bros-johnny lomax.

theres a tough team for you.

aussies, tough ?????
bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa

gee aussies not tough, surprisingly coming from a kiwi. how the hell do you have SBW in there? he is far from tough. he is a pretty boy who has hardly played any nrl to compare him to others!

Azkatro

First Grade
Hardest man to ever play League? Has to be Jason Stevens, given that he's a virgin.

GAMEFIRST

Juniors
Gavin Miller was a forward that always played at the line and through the line-got smacked so many times that he had nothing of his nose bones left from constant broking over 8-10 years, he had a really battered right shoulder and flimsey left shoulder from many shoulder barges after the ball had left his hands-

-i always admired his courage to keep coming back over a long period in an era where L Davidson, Gillespie, Tunks, Roberts, P Kelly, B Battesse etc were intimidating and coaches like Ryan were also just as desperate and ruthless.

My vote is for G Miller, then i always though of Pricey and T Lamb as playing beyond their weight and excelling while surviving a battering- others com to mind are J Croker, D Nutley and as a smokey, i thing Buderus is among the toughest as well-playing 80 minutes with injuries over the last few years and surviving the pain.

SirShire

First Grade
ozbash said:
tough ? aussie doesnt have the word in its vocab...
the majority of aussie players are bloody hollywood throwing wimps,, johns,kimmorley,buderus,woolford ,finch etc etc etc

tough- mark graham-dean lonegan-tamati bros-q pongia-sorrenson bros-wiggs-sbw-sam stewart-orchard bros-johnny lomax.

theres a tough team for you.

aussies, tough ?????
bwaaaaaahaaaaahaaaaa

SBW? Pleeeeeease....

sunny

David "Cement" Gillespie. I mean, just for the nickname alone you have to put him in there, not to mention the nasty tale about his thumb!

dubby

Bench
Vince Karaulis (sp?).

One tough pommy bastard from the 50s & 60s.

Currently....Webcke, Wiki, Croker is tough too.

Toovey has plenty of voters for courage, i'd like to mention Brad Clyde and Ray Price in the same vein...