What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harlequins RL -> London Broncos

Goddo

Bench
Confirmed that the name change will be back to London Broncos. Club colours and logo tbc.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/rugby_league/15353867.stm
Harlequins RL are to revert to the name London Broncos next season, BBC London 94.9 understands.

After six years under the Quins banner, club chairman David Hughes is expected to confirm the announcement next month.

After seven seasons at The Stoop, the club are also actively working with the Rugby Football League to find a new playing venue of their own.

That was never an option for Quins' current licence period, but something the club hope to do in the future.

"Ever since the chairman told me a name change was possible, Broncos was always the most likely," said BBC London 94.9 rugby league reporter Ian Ramsdale.

"It was 99% confirmed by the end of the season and I understand the remaining issues have been resolved.

"The idea of a name change has been around for over a year.

"With a desire to have their own identity, in order to build the rugby league profile in the south, a move away from the links with such a distinguished rugby union name and kit was seen as a key step.

"A number of other options were considered after the club consulted the fans with a survey.

"But, with David Hughes' memories of the old Broncos team, only a sponsored name was a real alternative and no suitable deal was found."

Having played in a Challenge Cup Final at Wembley against Leeds in 1999 as the London Broncos, many fans will be happy to see the name return.
BBC London also understands that a new logo and playing kit are to be unveiled as part of yet another change of brand.

When the old London Broncos went into business with Harlequins RFC in 2005, a name change to Harlequins RL was part of the initial three-year deal.

Since that expired, at the end of the 2008 season, the rugby league club have been effectively renting the ground purely as tenants.

Hopefully they go with a mostly blue jersey - way too much red in Super League. Something like this oldy:

Evil Homer

Staff member
It's not been confirmed yet. I don't like 'Broncos' but anything is better than Harlequins really.

pcpp

Juniors
Just did a bit of research on the Skolars name... according to Wikipedia thee club name was changed to London Skolars as they nearly got a big sponsorship from Skol.

bartman

Immortal
I think they've gained all that they were meant to gain from the Harlequins name, and the re-branding can only be a positive thing.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Great news, I having their own name and a new stadium can only be a good thing for the branding of this club.

This club needs a strong brand, similar to the Melbourne Storm.

Evil Homer

Staff member
Londom Storm then.
There is a club called South London Storm.

I don't think the Broncos is really a strong brand for London - didn't they adopt that name in the first place because of a link up with Brisbane Broncos? There's also Denver Broncos. 'Bronco' is not really a relevant word in England, and there are also issues with the use of 'London'. It's an improvement from Harlequins, but London Broncos has failed once already and I think there are far better potential choices of name.

NRL-TGG

Guest Moderator
Londom Storm then.

They need a strong brand as like the Melbourne Storm have.

The Storm brand is known throughout Australia, particularly after what happened.

They need to make the 'London Broncos' or whatever they choose as strong as that brand.

Jankuloski

Juniors
They don't have the money to cheat on the salary cap :D

Seriously, though Broncos does sound weird for London.. and they need to find a way to attract new fans..

roughyedspud

Coach
Just did a bit of research on the Skolars name... according to Wikipedia thee club name was changed to London Skolars as they nearly got a big sponsorship from Skol.

thats not true.....skolars started out as a student (or ex-student) team...hence SKOLARS

skol became interest as a sponsor well after that

langpark

First Grade
I don't mind the logo, but I prefer the old one...

broncoslogosoldnew.jpg

Also, I like their navy blue kit, but not so much the sky blue. Seems the navy blue will be the home kit???

http://www.code13rugbyleague.com/2011/11/01/london-broncos-are-back-from-harlequins-rl/

nadera78

Juniors
Like the name, like the colours, like the badge. Dislike the shirts - stick a chevron on them and they'd improve no end.

Glad to see the back of Quins tbh. Best bit of news I've had in a while.

Simo

First Grade
I think they've gained all that they were meant to gain from the Harlequins name, and the re-branding can only be a positive thing.

Having not seen much of the ESL in recent years, what have they gained from aligning with the union brand?

From memory, crowds were abysmal, not sure on how the team peformed or sponsorhips. Can anyone fill me in on the last 5 years of the Brocnos/Harlequins? Is it actually growing or stagnant as a nothing team?

Evil Homer

Staff member
Having not seen much of the ESL in recent years, what have they gained from aligning with the union brand?

From memory, crowds were abysmal, not sure on how the team peformed or sponsorhips. Can anyone fill me in on the last 5 years of the Brocnos/Harlequins? Is it actually growing or stagnant as a nothing team?
They haven't gained anything. The link-up with RU wasn't a strategic or voluntary thing, IIRC it was the only option at the time to save the club from oblivion. The crowds are worse now, and understandably so. I still think that they will need to move location to see any sort of significant improvements, but no doubt ditching the Harlequins name will help.

I like the fact they've gone back to the Broncos name but don't like the colours, but guess they've got to try and be original. The jerseys are sh*t, pure and simple. I just hope they were done quickly leading up to the press conference.