What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews and SG Ball Discussion Thread

Kilkenny

Coach
Huge number of changes in both sides for this weekend.

Of note, Jett Cleary an out for Ball, don’t know whether it is injury related or he has been dropped. It would be a brave coach to drop him.

Mathematically possible for both sides to still make the playoffs but even if we do just making up the numbers.

Last edited:
Huge number of changes in both sides for this weekend.

Of note, Jett Cleary an out for Ball, don’t know whether it is injury related or he has been dropped. It would be a brave coach to drop him.

Mathematically possible for both sides to still make the playoffs but even if we do just making up the numbers.
Cleary limped off injuries just before halftime. Penrith were leading 22 - 6.
Harold Matthew side has Kemp Riches from Cowra on the bench this week.

maple_69

Bench
So Ball are dusted for the year and Matts are relying on both the Warriors and Manly dropping games to teams below them to scrape in. Assuming this weekend is the end of the season, any Ball guys of note we'd expect to come up to Flegg?

Kilkenny

Coach
So Ball are dusted for the year and Matts are relying on both the Warriors and Manly dropping games to teams below them to scrape in. Assuming this weekend is the end of the season, any Ball guys of note we'd expect to come up to Flegg?
There won’t be too many I wouldn’t think, Flegg undefeated and Ball were pretty ordinary .

Kilkenny

Coach
There were suggestions here before a ball was kicked this SG Ball was ’stacked’ but it has been a very underwhelming campaign.

Jaxen Edgar, Judah Galuvao, Jenson Tauoi and perhaps Hokafonu Lemoto a few who no doubt will progress onto Flegg but maybe not this season.

half_back

Juniors
I thought the Matts team looked pretty stacked also, with a number of players with decent reputations. Realistically who if any show the potential to progress all the way?

Iamback

Coach
There were suggestions here before a ball was kicked this SG Ball was ’stacked’ but it has been a very underwhelming campaign.

Jaxen Edgar, Judah Galuvao, Jenson Tauoi and perhaps Hokafonu Lemoto a few who no doubt will progress onto Flegg but maybe not this season.

I was one who thought that.

I didn't expect Casey McLean to play Flegg over Ball, A few others missed Ball as well. The side is after prepared FG I guess

No surprise we smashed Manly when Edgar came back from injury

No we never stacked. The same person says that every year.
There is a story in the Daily Telegraph (behind a paywall) that for the first time in over 20 years Penrith has failed to make the finals in either Harold Matt’s or SG Ball.
IMO this is unexceptionable with the amount of junior sides we have. Change is needed.

Alintheeast

Juniors
Had a quick review of Ball season they were competitive against top sides(Rooster, Dragons Dogs) and were usually leading 3/4 way through. but hammered by Raiders and lost to Sharks. I think they only scored 6-7 trys after 56th minute(2 of them against Manly). Junior competitions and teams can be turned on their heads by 1 or 2 talented players would have been nice Edgar and McLean every week.

Kilkenny

Coach
There is a story in the Daily Telegraph (behind a paywall) that for the first time in over 20 years Penrith has failed to make the finals in either Harold Matt’s or SG Ball.
IMO this is unexceptionable with the amount of junior sides we have. Change is needed.
I went to half there games and both sides were underwhelming. Disappointing I guess.

GongPanther

Referee
Ball and flegg were a top 6 team cutoff comp, and I was also doing the math 2 weeks out in thinking we were still in with a chance, lol!

Roosters should win the Ball comp although St George Illawarra wont surprise. Matts will easily be won by the Dogs. Steelers will take the Tarsha Gale Cup, whilst the Dogs will easily take the Lisa Fiaola Cup.

But yea, it was either a disappointing year for both grades, or we are using them solely for development.

Iamback

Coach

How many SG Ball aged guys aren't in SG Ball?

Iamback

Coach
Had a quick review of Ball season they were competitive against top sides(Rooster, Dragons Dogs) and were usually leading 3/4 way through. but hammered by Raiders and lost to Sharks. I think they only scored 6-7 trys after 56th minute(2 of them against Manly). Junior competitions and teams can be turned on their heads by 1 or 2 talented players would have been nice Edgar and McLean every week.

3 of the 4 losses the side had. Edgar didn't play, McLean didn't play a minute of the season.

A couple of others too are in higher grades.

How many SG Ball aged guys aren't in SG Ball?
Only the two McLean brothers. Let's be honest about this we failed to make the finals in both competition. Changes need to be made otherwise we will be going back to the bad old days. As Kilkenny said the other day that we have no half's coming through any of the grades. Change is needed.