What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final Team Named

http://www.parraeels.com.au/default.aspx?s=article-display&id=16232

parraeels.com.au said:
Harold Matthews Cup Grand Final Team Named
Ross Smart
Pirtek Parramatta Eels Media

Wednesday, May 06, 2009
00001931-image.jpg

© Warren Keir, www.smpimages.com
Kalausa Leha stretches out to score for Parramatta in Harold Matthews Cup.

The attentions of Eels fans everywhere turn to St Mary's Leagues Club Stadium this Saturday as the Eels Harold Matthews Cup side attempts to win back to back premierships.

The Eels won through to the decider with a comprehensive 40-16 defeat of Western Suburbs in the semifinal, and they now face the Bulldogs in the big one, which kicks off at 1pm on Saturday.

There they will look to repeat the heroics of Parramatta's 2008 Harold Matthews Cup winning side, which defeated red hot favourites Penrith to the title.

The Eels have received a massive boost ahead of Saturday's game, with skipper Sean McGuinness welcomed back to the side from suspension.
McGuinness slots straight back in at halfback, with the remainder of the side as follows:

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP GRAND FINAL : PIRTEK PARRAMATTA EELS V BULLDOGS

ST MARY'S LEAGUES CLUB STADIUM : SATURDAY 9 MAY 2009 : 1PM

1. Jacob GAGAN 2. Kelepi TANGINOA 3. Vai TOUTAI 4. Soane MANUMU'A 5. Derek GOLDING 6. Troy ERRINGTON 7. Sean MCGUINNESS [C] 8. Junior PAULO 9. Robbie KAMOTO 10. Josh NEALE 11. Jordan MALAKI 12. Joseph UALESI 13. Frazer MASINAMUA INTERCHANGE: 14. Brendon NEWTON 15. Chad MCGILL 16. John ASIATA 17. Alan KAMOTO 18. Kalausa LEHA 19. Adam MCMILLAN 20. Sione HEHEPOTO 21. Michael LEIFI 22. Todd GRAHAM 23. James TUITAHI COACH: Chris BRADBURY

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I wish them the best of luck

Hopefully some one can keep us updated with the scores

rambo1

Juniors
http://www.ourfootyteam.com/news_09.php#nationalJuniorRepsPreview070509a

NATIONAL JNR REPS – GRAND FINAL PREVIEW

Well here we are folks. We’re down to the last two. The absolute best.

PK’s crystal ball was spot on last week when I picked the four winners and I believe I’m on a roll. I got the crystal ball out again this week and I have made two judicious decisions.

Congratulations to the Bulldogs for having both teams in the grand final. A great achievement for this famous Sydney club.

Congratulations to the Parramatta Eels who attempt to make it two in a row in the Harold Matthews Cup following last year’s victory.

Congratulations to the Melbourne Storm who have made history by qualifying for the grand final in their first year of competition at this level.

All teams are fighting for something extra this year. As exclusively revealed in ourfootyteam.com two weeks ago the winners will not only be crowned SG Ball Cup and Harold Matthews Cup champions but they will gain the title of national champion.

This year’s national junior competition included the best from Queensland, NSW and Northern Territory fighting it out to be in the round of 16.

Now we are down to the crème de la crème. BRING IT ON!

HAROLD MATTHEWS CUP

Bulldogs v Parramatta Eels

The big question? Can the Parramatta Eels win back-to-back premierships?

I questioned earlier in the season whether the Parramatta team had the same ability as last year’s Harold Matthews team that smashed Penrith in the grand final.

At the time I felt they didn’t possess the same ruthless defence as their predecessors. Since then they have improved their defence to be the best in the competition.

Not only that but over 12 games they also have the best attack by scoring the most points. Points for and against for the Eels over 12 games is 450/132.

The Bulldogs compare favourably with 428/146. Nothing between them.

The two undefeated teams have strike power all over the paddock and have belted some clubs this year.

I think Parramatta have been marginally more impressive in the finals series. I say this because they have beaten Brisbane-based Norths Devils and Western Suburbs 38-24 and 40-16 respectively the last two weeks without their two big guns.

Halfback Sean McGuinness resumes for the grand final after serving a suspension for a spear tackle. He and number six Troy Errington are the brains behind the Eels backline.

Superstar NSW fullback Jacob Gagen, one of the best players in the competion, will also play in the grand final after being out with a hamstring injury. My sources reveal he is fully recovered and ready to go!

In looking at the two undefeated teams I would say that is the difference between the two teams; the fact that Parramatta will be strengthened by the inclusion of the dynamic duo and that should give them the edge over the Bulldogs.

THE BIG MATCH–UPS:

Fullback Jacob Gagen v Peter Irwin
Five eighth Troy Errington v Samisoni Langi
Props Josh Neale and Junior Paulo v Davis Klemmer
Second row Jordan Malaki v David Minute
Halfback Sean McGuinness v Jaline Graham

PK’S TIP:

With Batman and Robin back for Parramatta they will save the day so I’m tipping the Eels to win by 6 points.

lizziebra

Juniors
Well they lost 34 - 22.

Gagan suspected broken/dislocated ankle 5 mins in. Went off on a stretcher.

But the Bulldogs were too strong the whole game in every department - they still would have won even if Gagan was on the field. Ripped up through the middle and deserved the win. It was 34 - 10 at one stage.

Was disapointed with a few of the 'better' Eels players... didn't really step up for the occasion.

Great effort to get the GF for the young fellas, bad luck on the loss.
Well done to the bulldogs, hasn't that club turned around in the last couple of years.

Latest posts