What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

hugzy

Juniors
i dun find the footy boring. but it annoys me that EVERY team except 1 or 2 play the exact same way with the exact same plays at the exact same time.
eg: the cross field kick on 5th tackle for the winger - success rate probably 1/10? *YAWNS

y dont teams make more use of THESE plays:

*rolling the ball into ingoal for a dropout - it's not even a trick play, just something which seems to be common sense yet all the mediocre teams go for the big hollywood all-or-nothing plays on 5th tackle. which is probably y so many teams r mediocre...

*kicking early in tackle for 40/20 - especially when the wingers haven't dropped back, i see numerous chances for 40/20 goto waste during a game

*take a dropkick from the optional restart - i cant find this in the rule book anymore but apparently if u drop kick from a 20m restart and it finds touch (not on the full) u get the ball back via scrum? i've seen it done a couple of times and always wonder y it isn't used more often. wingers often stay up for these restarts or drop back 5m as a token gesture

*spread the fking ball from 20m restart when opposition are retreating - cant believe it's been 1.5 years since it was introduced and we still dont see it being utilised more effectively

*chip and chase - only see cronk-slater do it as a surprise tactic. rest of comp do it when they're on 5th tackle being 6 pts down with 5 seconds left; or when they're up by 30. surely theres room in the game to try this more often

docbrown

Coach
Grubber kick in goal to force drop out - seems to be less common this season. Attacking teams just don't seem to be chasing down their kicks enough and too many are going uncontested. Are they afraid of being penalised?

Kicking early in tackle for 40/20 - I love the guts that it takes to do this and you see the good teams read and do it. I would still like to see it become a general 40 metre kick (10/50, 20/40, 30/30, 40/20 etc) to have those wingers move back and forth in coverage to encourage ball movement in the attacking team's half.

20 metre restart - teams are just running simple hit ups to gain metre. The whole point of this was to create a situation where a returning defender now in possession can slice through a scattered defence. Some people seem to think though that waiting for the ref's whistle and just running into a wall of set defenders is more entertaining... total misses the f**king point IMO

counterpuncher

Juniors
Felt a little low after the Dragons/Knights game.

After catching some of the overnight cricketing "action" from the Caribbean, I feel a whole lot better about the ability of rugby league to keep me entertained.

Will be tuning in to Pup and the boys again at 11:50 tonight. Best sleeping pill ever.