What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the footy become boring?

Has Rugby League (NRL) become boring?

• Yes

Votes: 21 22.1%
  • Maybe a little

Votes: 31 32.6%
  • No

Votes: 43 45.3%

• Total voters

DRAGONZ_RULE

Coach
No way that the Storm are boring .. they play a very structured and disciplined style, but when they get inside the opposition 30m, they are generally quite exciting to watch with the array of plays they have at their disposal.

Which is something you'll get when you have the best hooker, the best halfback, and the best fullback in the competition in your side .. plus a very able (and under-rated) five-eighth.

azza18

Juniors
Id say it's been more frustrating then boring. In the games I've watched, there's been a lot of unforced errors and some pretty lackluster attack - so many teams have had such ordinary season starts with almost no consistency. I suppose it doesn't really help when the same teams are pretty much shown on FTA week in week out.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Geez whenever this topic is brought up the supporters of teams that win using boring football always bring out the "would you rather watch your team win or be entertaining" argument. I’m sorry to say that this argument totally misses the point.

First of all, as already pointed out, the question of whether the game is boring is not a question about whether or not you enjoy watching your team win, it's whether or not you enjoy watching the sport in general. Personally, I now rarely watch a game that does not involve Parramatta in its entirety.

Second, and in my opinion more importantly, excitement and winning don't have to be mutually exclusive. The question of whether you want your team to win is not in doubt here. Of course you want your team to win, and of course professional sportsmen and the coaches coaching them want to win, and as we know they will do anything within the rules - and some things outside the rules - to achieve that goal. But why can’t they win and play exciting football? This is not an issue of what a coach or team will do to win, it’s an issue of what they need to do to win. Can playing in an attacking, exciting manner lead to glory, or does the construct of the game and the rules themselves force people to play conservatively?

This argument comes up in all sports around the world. It's one that nearly every sport faces and it's not one that is new to Rugby League. The limited tackle rule, the change to a 10m rule, the eradication of goal-line drop-outs for balls caught on the full in the in-goal, the introduction of surrender tackles - these are just some examples of the many rule changes that Rugby League has put in place in order to achieve the right balance between attack and defence. Some of these rules encourage attacking play, while some – the surrender tackle for example – ensure that defence plays its rightful part in the game.

Sports all around the world have shown that professionalism brings with it higher levels of conservatism because those who have their livelihoods – and millions of dollars - riding on the outcome are more afraid to risk losing in order to win. Therefore, it is more important than ever that the league ensures that it is providing the right level of reward for attacking play.

So the issue is not whether your team is boring, or whether another team is boring, or whether your team is winning or not, the issue is:

Do the rules - and how they are interpreted by referees - encourage the proper balance between attack and defence?

It is important to note that this does not mean that all rules need to be designed to encourage attack. Some of the best games – in any sports – are when great defensive teams come up against great attacking teams, and this particularly true of Rugby League where great scrambling defence can be the highlight of a game. It is important that in promoting entertainment the true essence of the sport itself is not lost, but it is vital that the rules in Rugby League allow great offences the opportunity to attack great defences and that we aren’t left with a sterile game of ruck it up and kick.

Parramatta, the Tigers and Warriors have shown that overtly attacking teams can be somewhat successful, but most coaches have chosen the higher percentage option of "grinding" football, so it’s difficult to ascertain how – or even if – rules should change to encourage a better balance. I personally believe that they need to be looked at. But to do that you need to look at all the rules at the same time and in conjunction with each other, as changing one may affect another or may force another necessary change. It is a big task and Australian sports in general, but rugby league in particular, have not been great at scientifically analysing themselves to predict how changes will impact the game. In America they are much better at it (though there is currently an argument in the NFL that attacking play is rewarded too much) as they disect everything down to the nth degree.

I would like to see the independent commission put in place a committee who are charged with analysing rules and interpretations and making recommendations for changes.

entirely agree with this post

BigRedV

Juniors
If the footy in general is boring (which i agree it has been thus far) its more an indication that the rules are choking the game, more than teams not being entertaining.
Every little edge a player can get through a quick re-start or a creative little run, gets called back by the f**king refs becuase they tapped it on the wrong blade of grass. I'm generally a passive kind of bloke, but have never wanted to go on a murderous rampage more than when i see a ref repack a scrum fifteen times. Or what the point of a quick sprint to the 20m line for a tap, when half the time the players are called back to take it again.
The rules have well and truly farked this game beyond repair. Unfortunately the only way from here is new rules will be introduced to police the current rules and it will get even worse.
Another big part is the interchanges. Most forwards these days are machines as it is. Its been said a billion times, but when you can keep resting these guys and swapping em every 10 minutes, it turns the game into exactly what we have now. An arm wrestle of fresh bigmen, instead of room for creative backs to entertain.
Next, piss off the video replay. Give the teams 2 challenges per half, if they challenge and they are right they keep the challenge. If they're wrong they loose it. Just like tennis.
The replays this year are f**king killing me!! Watching it 15 times means you have doubt you f**king undeductaed non decision making little farks! Its all this stop start that has killed it. Nothing to do with players or teams not being "entertaining". The good coaches are coaching to the rules, and the numpty's still think they're entertainers, entertaining the bottome of the ladder.
It is boring, it does suck balls. And it will get worse.
In the past i would watch games i taped start to finish. Lately i'm fast forwarding most of time.

/End Rant (for now)

docbrown

Coach
entirely agree with this post

Same.

If I were to answer the question though I would say that

1. Attacking strategies are becoming too simplistic
2. Too much wrestling in defence
3. Not enough collision
4. Certain referees are killing the spirit of certain rules (recalling 20 metre tap restarts because no whistle - give me a f**king break)

Yet if you raise the idea of rule changes some purists snap your head off.

I like the theatrical violence of rugby league. I hate seeing sanitized. It should be a game played at helter skelter speed and force with creative ball movement.

And also furthermore, I think it's a cop out when coaches promote negative tactics and then come out and decry the diminishing spectacle. And I say this with a current coach who is guilty of doing that...

I love this game but I hate negative/dour football

Last edited:

Lambretta

First Grade
On the whole the quality of football has been rather dull this season, but there are some exceptions.

Some teams play one out attack, look for a quick play the ball, kick the ball long and search for a knock on to get attacking field position.

St George and Newcastle are two teams that rely almost solely on these tactics and they offer very little imagination in attack and therefore reasons to get excited about watching them. In last nights game the average set of six contained six or fewer passes for the whole set (if they kicked before the 5th). My god it was f**king dull. Unfortunately these two teams feature highly on Channel Nines rotation, so we get force fed a diet of dull football on free to air television.

Teams play this way because field position is all important. Forcing a knock on is an easier way of getting the ball in good field position than getting your way there by using your attack. Teams that pass the ball run the risk of dropping it, so they just don't bother with it.

However as Melbourne have shown this season, passing your way into space can be successful if your players can catch the ball and I wished that more teams would do it.

Other than the Storm v2012, the teams most likely to want to attack are the Tigers and Warriors and to a lesser extent the Roosters, Sharks and Cowboys. The Roosters really shouldn't try to do this as they can't bloody catch, but they have a go anyway so hopefully one day they'll get it right. The Warriors and Tigers are all over the shop at the moment and anything they do is merely a steaming pile of aardvark shit with pubes sticking out of it. If they actually get it together and click then there's half a chance we'll see some good football.

Another reason for the drop off in quality this season is the number of injuries to some of the most exciting and creative players in the competition. Burgess, Gidley, Parker, Tony Williams, Jennings, Glenn and Brett Stewart, Foran, Guerra, Kenny-Dowell, Ellis, Wallace, Yow Yeh, Hodkinson, Cooper, Loko, Michael Gordon, Nathan Merritt, Dugan, Fensom, De Gois, Tupou, Greg Bird, Kevin Locke etc the list goes on. All those players create opportunities either as play makers or off-loaders that create 2nd phases. I can't remember a time when we had so many injuries to so many key players across so many clubs.

When these key players come back from injury the quality of football should improve - and fingers crossed the Tigers and Warriors can sort their shit out and give us some additional reasons to tune in or turn up each week.

The quality of the games has got worse this season. Individual brilliance side, there just isn't the high quality general play of recent years.

CC_Roosters

First Grade
No. Only thing i notice is that many sides seem to be getting tired earlier in the game, i think they train to much.

If the referees suddenly started penalising any lying on in the tackle/wrestling it would help though. It is the only thing that frustrates me

Chook Norris

First Grade
The quality of the games has got worse this season. Individual brilliance side, there just isn't the high quality general play of recent years.

there is a distinct lack of intensity and sides simply going through their paces throughout the game

having said that, the quality of games will and should nevertheless improve as the season goes on

Vic Mackey

Referee
Haven't read the thread.

Teams are too focused on just completing sets and then try and score after a penalty marches them downfield. I haven't seen any stats but I'd bet tries from over halfway are way, way down on previous years. I've found the footy this year very, very dull. And not because the tigers are going like busteds, the games not involving them are what I'm talking about.

I was glad when manly won last year as they actually played footy.

Mr Fourex

Bench
But will you watch games not involving the dragons if its boring? Thst the OP question, has the comp as a whole got boring?

Have to admit to turning away from the Eels V Knights on Sunday

and the St Merge V Knights last night

Horrible shit to watch

Hmmmm.........Newcastle ey?

simmo1

First Grade
Definitely has been pretty dour stuff over the past few weeks.

Watching great defence is all well and good - provided its against great attack.

I think there are too many shit teams playing with no desire, no intensity. Eels, Titans, Warriors, Roosters to name a few. Knights probably have the desire but they're just shit.

Rod

Bench
Switching your TV on every Friday night and seeing the Broncos is pretty boring.

Mr Saab

Referee
At least they have players that can play entertaining footall. The Dragons of 2009-11 look like the Eels of the 80s compared to the Knights