What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

Has the Sleeping Giant Finally Awoken?

• Yes

Votes: 66 47.8%
  • No

Votes: 72 52.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steelers4eva

Juniors
laurie said:
u only use two parts of the body what about ya chest and ya head !! what about the goalie who uses his hands !!

Both games are awsome but soccer is definatly the more skillfull.

I would say they have 2 different skill sets and there for cannot even be compared. Where as someone like a Johns or Lockyer may be able to hit a target with a pass or deft kick, a Vidmar or Kewell might match with similar precision. The only difference is the soccer guys can concentrate on exactly what is required safe in the knowledge that someone the size of Shane Webke isn't going to smash them while they do it. I don't know if you've ever played Lauri but it takes quite an amount of skill and concentration to put a football on the chest of a bloke when a 110kg monster is about to smash you.

Therbs

Juniors
It hasn't awoken a sleeping giant. What it will do is attract more dollars to soccer as sponsors jump onto higher ratings. It will mean that the A-League doesn't fold after two seasons. Junior player registrations will have an increase, there will be some increase in A-League crowds and TV audiences.
It isn't going to be an overwhelming result. The NRL and AFL do not have to worry.

Someone posted elsewhere that soccer thrives in areas where there are no natural predators or competition. That about sums it up.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Misty Bee said:
Melon, I understand the junior thing. Saying that soccer is more skilld though, is rubbish. Its a game where players have to have the same skills. That's where League is different, because you get multi skilling. Put Offiah at halfback and see what happens.

Dingbats like Tommy belive the only skill God ever invented is the skill to kick a round ball. To him, the skill of a good League defensive player aka Gillmeister doesn't exist. Tommy, It takes a lot longer to master the art of being a Rugby League defenser than a bloody round ball dribbler. Blokes who just stand in front of things become turnstiles, because the'yd be sidestepped. They are the people who fling an arm out. Like soccer players.

Soccer has one skill. Dancing with a ball on the ground.

If you reckon it's so wonderful, Tommy, f**k of back to England where you dopn't have to troll a Rugby League forum to find another soccer fan.
It would seem there are a few on here who appreciate the skill required to play football. Not everyone is as insecure and biased as you. I love both sports, and living in Australia i've probably grown closer to League as its the sport i see the most with a team i can actively follow (except EuroChamps and WC when football is king). Ive also played both sports and have to say that football is much harder to master. It takes years to develop the skills, and thats if you have the ability to begin with. When i first played league (13 or 14) it took me a few weeks to adjust to the structure but after that i was fine and did ok. At that age especially, the gap between skill level can be diminished somewhat if you just get 'stuck in'.

It should be noted that just because League doesnt require the same level of skill/ability (on the whole, halfbacks for one do require natural ability - the good ones anyway) doesnt mean that League is any less of a game. Maybe the opposite actually because more peope can play it successfully as opposed to looking like a dummy on a football field.

No need to get so defensive and abusive just because i think more ability (probably a better word than skill) is required to play football.

Boing Boing

Juniors
Tommy Smith said:
It would seem there are a few on here who appreciate the skill required to play football. Not everyone is as insecure and biased as you. I love both sports, and living in Australia i've probably grown closer to League as its the sport i see the most with a team i can actively follow (except EuroChamps and WC when football is king). Ive also played both sports and have to say that football is much harder to master. It takes years to develop the skills, and thats if you have the ability to begin with. When i first played league (13 or 14) it took me a few weeks to adjust to the structure but after that i was fine and did ok. At that age especially, the gap between skill level can be diminished somewhat if you just get 'stuck in'.

It should be noted that just because League doesnt require the same level of skill/ability (on the whole, halfbacks for one do require natural ability - the good ones anyway) doesnt mean that League is any less of a game. Maybe the opposite actually because more peope can play it successfully as opposed to looking like a dummy on a football field.

No need to get so defensive and abusive just because i think more ability (probably a better word than skill) is required to play football.

Spot on.

Tommy Smith said:
It would seem there are a few on here who appreciate the skill required to play football.

Of course there's skill required to play Football competently. Rugby League, especially the NRL, is quite unkind to uncos.

Tommy Smith said:
Not everyone is as insecure and biased as you.

lol

You hypocrite.

Tommy Smith said:
I love both sports, and living in Australia i've probably grown closer to League as its the sport i see the most with a team i can actively follow (except EuroChamps and WC when football is king).

We don't want you.

Tommy Smith said:
Ive also played both sports and have to say that football is much harder to master.

I disagree, I think Rugby League and Soccer are both as difficult as each other to master but I take on board that your opinion is that Rugby League is more difficult to master.

Tommy Smith said:
It takes years to develop the skills, and thats if you have the ability to begin with.

I see, so you can't be a good Soccer player without having ability before you kick a ball?

Tommy Smith said:
When i first played league (13 or 14) it took me a few weeks to adjust to the structure but after that i was fine and did ok.

So which NRL team did you play for if it was that simple?

Tommy Smith said:
At that age especially, the gap between skill level can be diminished somewhat if you just get 'stuck in'.

In either sport.

Tommy Smith said:

That doesn't make sense, you're comparing Football to Football?

FYI, Rugby League is Football.

Tommy Smith said:

What you think is irrelevant because you're stupid.

As has already been stated....

Kicking a Soccer ball takes skill as do other parts of the game.

But, how skilful would they be if a 110 kilo forward was about to rip them into pieces?

Misty Bee

First Grade
Soccer is not more skilful. League is not more skilful.

However, in League, a larger array of skills is needed. In defence etc.

In soccer, you have to get an object that is spherical, and about 30cm diameter, past one player.

In League you have to get an object roughly 180cm tall and 100 cm wide through a line of 13 players.

Which one is the tougher assignment? Obviously the latter. Advancing a soccer ball is easy. Most soccer plays are done at walking pace anyway, unless in the frantic atmosphere of a goal square. Where sitters are usually missed.

In soccer there are 2 rules. 1) don't use your hands. 2) offside rule.

League has a myriad of rules that a player eeds to remember. Still, in last weeks soccer game, there were 3 times as many penalties as in an average League game.

And soccer is more skilful. :lol::lol::lol:

laurie

Juniors
well its looks like somthing has awoken !! its got 13 pages of u guys talking about it. if Australia had of lost there wouldnt have been anything like this going on

gaterooze

Bench
laurie said:
well its looks like somthing has awoken !! its got 13 pages of u guys talking about it. if Australia had of lost there wouldnt have been anything like this going on

Well... Luke Covell has prompted even more discussion on this board...

Dogaholic

First Grade
Misty Bee said:

In soccer, you have to get an object that is spherical, and about 30cm diameter, past one player.

In League you have to get an object roughly 180cm tall and 100 cm wide through a line of 13 players.

Which one is the tougher assignment? Obviously the latter. Advancing a soccer ball is easy. Most soccer plays are done at walking pace anyway, unless in the frantic atmosphere of a goal square. Where sitters are usually missed.

League has a myriad of rules that a player eeds to remember. Still, in last weeks soccer game, there were 3 times as many penalties as in an average League game.

Thats a load of crap

Misty Bee said:

Football is more skilful.

League is physically tougher.

Funnily enough that's how both games are marketed and what fans of both codes take pride in respectively.

sooperdooper

First Grade
Misty Bee said:

that is the biggest crock i have ever heard there is no need to try to argue with that i will have to type for hours on end.

melon....

Coach
Misty Bee said:

You clearly dont know enough about the round ball code.

Your talking out of your ample arse now.

There is nothing wrong with appreciating both codes 4 what they offer. But for God's sake, if you are clueless, and you clearly are, just dont say anything.

Surandy

Bench
Can we get some links to Australian based soccer forums so we can go trolling and piss them off for liking their boring game?

FIREUPGAZ

Juniors
Look at the response a simple thread got, debating about wether football is really soccer, hahah i think their is a bit of fear in the rival codes and supporters

Angry_eel

First Grade
Hmmm I agree soccer players are more skillfull at taking a dive and cheating.

This thread is stupid and equally stupid is saying that either of the games require MORE Skill. Yes they require different skills but no its not easy teaching someone and making them a superstar in either of the codes. Whoever said that sidestepping can be taught is frickin stupid, yes one can be told what to do when attempting a side step but after that its their skill.
Different people have different skills in terms of sport. e.g. No one can get tendulkar to curl a soccer ball like beckham but no one can get beckham to hit a coverdrive like tendulkar.

Also, any skill needs perfection but sometimes there are exception like benji marshall. Training and perfection to either of the codes. Young kids can start league at a young age and still be better then the kids who started soccer first. But in anycase best soccer players and best league players are born not made. Just look at pele, maradona, kenny, Lewis or an immortal of any club in either of the sport.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Everlovin' Antichrist said:
I should have said "stupid and English".
Oh well that's done it now.

Before i was saddened but now im a mental wreck. You really know how to hurt a blokes feelings...*goes looking for the rope*

Latest posts