What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hasler's comments on the ref

dogslife

Coach
I want to see the replay of Krisnan Inu "almost ripping a blokes leg out of its socket" in a tackle

in.tro

Juniors
I don't think comments like that by coaches are good for the game. The $10000 fine for coaches bagging refs is a joke. I don't think it deters anyone. They should make it $100000.
the only joke here is that hasler is fined at all.

what would be good for the game is consistent refereeing.
referee's not influencing outcomes with inconsistent and contradictory decisions.

its not good for the game when a player is penalised for 'lying all over the ruck', the momentum swings, a team comes back, wins the game.. whilst another 20 of those tackles are made during game - none of which are penalised.. but the coach brings it up and you wanna fine him $100,000? lol come on man.

the coaches freedom of speech is what can keep the refs honest.

im curious as to where your coming from though, why is it such a bad thing if coaches comment on a ref's performance?

mongoose

Coach
Des has every right to complain if the refs were talking about a momentum shift in the game at half time, especially when its that megalomaniac merkin Suttor. f**k he's a peice of work.

Canard

Immortal
im curious as to where your coming from though, why is it such a bad thing if coaches comment on a ref's performance?

1) It's an attack on the integrity of the game.
2) It will deter anyone from being an official
3) Its just a massive whinge from a noted whinger pushing his own agenda to the detriment of the sport itself.

Doomednow

Bench
He brought to light that the refs kept on saying "the game is changing" and took it as the refs went with a per-conceived notion that they were the ones that were leading the game to change.
Personally if i heard the refs saying "the game is changing" i would be rather annoyed they are doing a commentary on the f**king game rather than doing their job.

I'm glad he has, if the refs have actually said "the game is changing" im pi**ed just as a league support, refs should ref to the game not what they think will happen.

Des has every right to complain if the refs were talking about a momentum shift in the game at half time, especially when its that megalomaniac merkin Suttor. f**k he's a peice of work.

I missed this being said but were the refs possibly talking about the game of rugby league as a whole, and not just this specific games, as in "the game and the way you've come to expect it to be officiated is changing, we have been given a directive to focus more on these issues and what was ok to get away with in the past isn't any more"?

Or something to that effect.

Canard

Immortal
Reading the whole quote, Dollar De$ is also having a whinge about how the Refs weren't "respectful" to Ennis.

FMD, watch it again mate, Ennis carried on like a grade A dickhead for large portions of that game, Im amazed he didn't even get so much as a warning for the way he carried on.

M2D2

Bench
I missed this being said but were the refs possibly talking about the game of rugby league as a whole, and not just this specific games, as in "the game and the way you've come to expect it to be officiated is changing, we have been given a directive to focus more on these issues and what was ok to get away with in the past isn't any more"?

Or something to that effect.
No.

Perth Red

Post Whore
ARLC need a mandate out now to:
A) stop players talking to the ref, sick of hearing whinging players carrying on like soccer girls
B) stop refs being so chummy with players, your there to enforce the games rules not make friends
C) "encourage" commentators to not disect every single decison from 20 different camera angles then decide the ref was wrong and slate him for the next 10mins
D) stop refs coaching players, your there to enforce the rules not coach players
E) Get some people in control of the refs who know what they are doing

That should sort out the game for the better. Mentioned this before but watch a Chooseday night game from the early 90's and see how much better it was with no slating of refs, no backchat and no replays of every decision.

Hutty1986

Immortal
f**k this under the radar bullsh*t is so painful. Your side are the competition favourites Dessy

blacklock

Juniors
ARLC need a mandate out now to:
A) stop players talking to the ref, sick of hearing whinging players carrying on like soccer girls
B) stop refs being so chummy with players, your there to enforce the games rules not make friends
C) "encourage" commentators to not disect every single decison from 20 different camera angles then decide the ref was wrong and slate him for the next 10mins
D) stop refs coaching players, your there to enforce the rules not coach players
E) Get some people in control of the refs who know what they are doing

That should sort out the game for the better. Mentioned this before but watch a Chooseday night game from the early 90's and see how much better it was with no slating of refs, no backchat and no replays of every decision.
the issue isnt so much the refs....

its that our comp has become more level. now each team is scrapping for individual wins. you cant be 18 ahead (*cough....warriors...cough*) and simply expect to win. so teams are turning their attention to gain every small advantage. the biggest one being the refs.

so its not so much the refs have outright changed, we will always get weird calls. its that now those calls have a lot of weight behind them. getting a penalty in this day and age, more often then not equates to scoring.

personally i prefer when refs just leave the game to play itself out. judge the bleeding obvious penalties, but when it comes to the 50/50's just leave the teams to rough it out.

especially in the ruck when players like matt utai flip flop around trying to milk. its good theyre calling "milking", but quite a few times exaggerated dives still get them to blow the whistle.

i have no issue with people making criticisms of bad calls, i just say they make less calls and thats the solution. If you make fewer 50/50 calls chances are youre going to make fewer bad calls.

btw if they call play on during play....they should not be allowed to go up to the video ref if a try is scored. technically the titans should have been awarded that try. by waving play on the ref has already made the call and the video ref shouldnt be allowed to "un make" it.

Feej

First Grade
Is it just me or am I also seeing more players staying down after a big hit or when they loose the ball in a heavy tackle? Seems to be going down the soccer track...

blacklock

Juniors
Is it just me or am I also seeing more players staying down after a big hit or when they loose the ball in a heavy tackle? Seems to be going down the soccer track...
absolutely...but (as was seen in a few of the games) the refs arent awarding penalties unless it was a really bad hit.

in the broncos game, one of the players was lightly hit on the face and stayed down...even with the trainer out there no penalty was awarded. which is good as (you alluded) we dont want to become what soccer has.

Lambretta

First Grade
absolutely...but (as was seen in a few of the games) the refs arent awarding penalties unless it was a really bad hit.

in the broncos game, one of the players was lightly hit on the face and stayed down...even with the trainer out there no penalty was awarded. which is good as (you alluded) we dont want to become what soccer has.

It would help if the refs said "get up you f**king nancy boy - this isn't soccer we're playing" when they ran past

Now that's how I want them to talk to players.

Big Tim

First Grade
I want to see the replay of Krisnan Inu "almost ripping a blokes leg out of its socket" in a tackle

Me too.

I normally see most of the "underhanded" wrestling techniques, but this one escaped me.

Des did well. The refs were not good, but no way near as bad as he made out. Smart coach.

skeepe

Immortal
I absolutely hate it when refs tell a player things like "I could have penalised you for any of the last 4 tackles" or "that's 2 in a row that are too slow"

Penalise the first one, and we won't have the second (or third or fourth or...)

Mr Saab

Referee
[youtube]BvTNyKIGXiI[/youtube]

"thank you for saying what needed to be said!"

That is Bunniesman.

On topic - Suttor needs to go and go now. He is not a 1st grade ref.
Harrigan can join him...how the @#% did he pair Robinson and Suttor together is insane. They are 2 of the worst referees out there as far as talent and ability to deal with players are concerned. None of the players respect them.

Dogs Of War

Coach
I absolutely hate it when refs tell a player things like "I could have penalised you for any of the last 4 tackles" or "that's 2 in a row that are too slow"

Penalise the first one, and we won't have the second (or third or fourth or...)

You just hate refs full stop.

Latest posts