What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Haumono and Boxing

Gday all,

I been watching a bit of Haumono lately on Jeff Fenech fight nights. This guy is good, and IMO, has much more of a future than Mundine. It would take a lot tohurt this man.I think he is up to something like 7 KOs from 7 starts, and has an awesome punch.

What are the future prospects for him though? Not being a close boxing fan, im wondering if he has the opportunity (in the future obviously), to come up against the top boxers such as Tua and Lewis?? Im assuming he is in the same weight class

Cheers,
Moffo.

B

bender

I have been watching a fair bit of Huamono also. He is very good and has a ton of potential. I have been saying that since he debuted. However, he also has a long way to go, a lot further than Mundine. THere is huge difference between World Champion status, World Ranked Status, and Australian Champion status. No one in Australia would go a single round with Lennox Lewis (or even Tua), so Soloman has a long way to go. Still, he is the best Aussie Heavyweight I have seen since Craig Peterson and he probably even has more potential then him (I have not counted Bugner).

Against a kiwi a fight or two ago, Soloman was knocked down and hurt. It was an excellent sign that he came back and that showed potential. However, it must at the same time have been worrying that a nobody like that could cause damage. I think he is just raw and if he really trains hard and works on his defence he could be the best Aussie born heavyweight ever. Hopefully the stories i have heard about himbeing lazy in training are not correct.

El Duque

Bench
Haumono has not impressed me one bit in any of his fights.Sure he can hit but so can all heavyweights.
His chin is suspect too.Got wobbled by a bloke with no punch and dropped in his last fight.Soon as he gets in there with someone who cann bang it's goodnight Solo.

El Duque

Bench
"{No one in Australia would go a single round with Lennox Lewis (or even Tua)"

Justin Fortune went 5 rounds with Lewis in '95.
Kali Meehan(I don't think he'sAussie but he's based here)would stand a good chance of going more than a round with Tua and given his size could possibly beat him but not likely.

B

bender

FAir enough, El, I did not mean literally. But realistically, on their day they would be all KO'd bythe better Americans without too much trouble.

It probably did not come across too clearly in what i said but Soloman has power and looks to possibly have a bit of heart. I think he would beat most of the Aussie heavyweights around at the moment and he has the potenial to do better than any of them. Having said that, like Jimmy Thunder and some of those who preceded him, he would be found out by the first decent American he met unless he improves dramatically.

With regards to the Aussies i can think of at the moment, I believe he would probably beat Bob Mirovic and Kali Meehan provided he fought well and did not run into a haymaker.He would certainly beat the likes of Peter Graham, IMO.

I cant remember too much of Jusin Fortune.I think i canremember him losing toa couple of Aussies but cant remember who. Did he ever fight Thornberry,Gary Wills, or someone similar? Incidentally, aside from getting knocked out, how was going upuntil then against Lewis?

El Duque

Bench
He was getting pummeled butit took a bit to stop him and even then I think he was still on his feet.He fought Meehan a while ack and took some big right hands before being stopped.
I'd think Meehan would crush Haumono within a round.

Javaman

Juniors
I haven't seen enough of Solomon Haumono to comment on a fair level. I've seen bits and peices of him, but nothing of any decent length and certainly not studied his strengths and weeknessesI just don't comment on boxers until (I believe) I've seen enough of them either live or on the tape. It's just the way I am. But remember what poster El Duque said earlier: "Surehe can hit but so can all heavyweights." it's a pretty accurate statement. A heavyweight who can't hit will not last in the international-pay tv level. I could probably name on one had the number of recognizedheavyweights fighters in history who had an average punch or worse. And they crashed and burned in a rapid way.
I do have a couple of comments though.
Poster Bender said:"No one in Australia would go a single round with Lennox Lewis (or even Tua)."

I don't agree with that statement. I have seen just enough of Russell "The White Rhino" Townsend to state that he would easily go at least half a dozen or morerounds with David Tua, and maybe a couple of that short with Lewis (Lewis doesn't now or ever has impressed me) even at this early stage of his career. The White Rhino hails out of the notorios Kings Cross in Sydney who is reportedly a former 'heavy' and stand over man. He's also a former competitive bodybuilder with a number of National, Pan-Pacific and Oceana titles to his credit. He left the gymiron for the padded gloves about 2 and a halfyears ago (roughly)and trimmed down from a competitive 140+kg to around a lean 120kg or so as he is of now at 5ft 9in height. Since his new found love, his pre-professionalrecord (I think) is 19-0 with 17 by KO and over half of those within the first 3 rounds. Please don't quote me on those numbers though, as I'm trying to remember from what i was told. His pro record is listed below. Although they are nobodies (some) that he has fought in his 6 fights,his KO record is impressive even still.He's as harder trainer as any boxer is(anyone who knows boxing will know that boxers are the hardest trainers in the world of any sport...most of them and surprisingly some amaters train harder than the pros but nobody trains harder on an aerobic and anaerobic level in my honest opinion), who is dedicated of moving onto the main stage of boxing, and is hoping to break into the US market in the next couple of years or so after a few more fights under his belt. A huge hitter, very mobile for his size, moves well, average guard, slow foot work at present though has improved alot since he began, relatively quick hands, limited eray of punches, swarmer, and a very good chin though he hasn't fought anyone who has been able to put it to test yet, but word is he regularly spa's with 'street fighters' who he advises to hit him with their best shots.
I honestly believe on his best day he could give DavidTua an allmighty run for the cash. Honest. I won't even comment on Lewis because I have no respect for him as a boxer and don't like his styly or find his overall boxing skills anywhat appealing. No offence to Lewis fans ofcourse.
Remeber the name please boxing fans & posters alike, because all things going to plan, he may just be a name of the future of heavyweight boxing. Maybe.
He does impress me quite a bit.
<table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=3 align=center bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <td align=middle bgcolor=white colspan=2>Russell Townsend</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=white>Sex </td> <td bgcolor=white>Male</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=white>Nationality </td> <td bgcolor=white>Australia</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=white>Alias </td> <td bgcolor=white>The White Rhino</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=white>Division </td> <td bgcolor=white>Heavyweight</td></tr> <tr> <td bgcolor=white>World Rank </td> <td bgcolor=white>219</td></tr></tbody></table><br clear=all><br clear=all> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=3 align=center bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <caption align=left>Record to Date</caption> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff> <td>Won 6 (KOs 6) | Lost 0 | Drawn 0 | Tot 6| | [/B]</td></tr></tbody></table><br clear=all> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=3 align=center bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <caption align=left>Career Record </caption> <tbody> <tr bgcolor=#cccccc> <th>Date</th> <th>Opponent</th> <th>Opp Rec</th> <th>Last 6</th> <th>Location</th> <th colspan=3>Result</th></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2002-05-17</u></td> <td><u>Joe Tanuvasa</u></td> <td align=middle>2-11-1</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ffffff></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Dallas Brooks Hall, Melbourne, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>TKO</center></td> <td>1</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2002-02-15</u></td> <td><u>Nake Naketoatama</u></td> <td align=middle>0-0-0</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Woonona-Buli, NSW, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>KO</center></td> <td>1</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2001-12-15</u></td> <td><u>Moeloa Fagasola</u></td> <td align=middle>0-0-0</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Bondi, New South Wales, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>KO</center></td> <td>2</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2001-11-03</u></td> <td><u>Oge Telepe</u></td> <td align=middle>0-0-0</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Sydney, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>KO</center></td> <td>1</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2001-08-29</u></td> <td><u>Charlie Mahanga</u></td> <td align=middle>0-0-0</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Sydney, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>KO</center></td> <td>2</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=#ffffff> <td align=middle colspan=11> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody></tbody></table>Townsend 126.00kgs, Mahanga 117.00kgs</td></tr> <tr bgcolor=white> <td><u>2001-07-20</u></td> <td><u>Shane Norford</u></td> <td align=middle>5-11-0</td> <td align=right> <table cellspacing=1 cellpadding=0 bgcolor=#000000 border=0> <tbody> <tr> <center> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td> <td bgcolor=#ee4444></td></tr></tbody></table></CENTER></td> <td>Sydney, Australia</td> <td bgcolor=#99cc99> <center>W</center></td> <td> <center>TKO</center></td> <td>1</td></tr></tbody></table>

An article of possible interest from the Illawarra Mercury:
White Rhino sets sights on delivering The Bomb <h3></h3> <h4><u>BOXING By MIKE GANDON</u> December 14th 2001</h4> Australia's biggest boxing sensation Russell ``White Rhino'' Townsend is set to continue his barnstorming march when he fights New Zealander Moela ``The Bomb'' Fagasoia at Easts Leagues Club in Sydney on December 15. The 120kg Townsend has smashed all three of his opponents, delivering two first round knockouts and one second round knockout in a short but exciting professional career. Townsend grew up in Wollongong, playing rugby league for Collegians. He still has close district ties, with his parents owning a quarter horse farm at Jamberoo. Townsend's most recent contest was a brief affair when he ended it with the one and only punch of the fight at Dapto Leagues Club early last month. A smashing left hook from the White Rhino meant lights out early for Auckland's Oge Telepe in just 27 seconds of the first round. Telepe is also known as Sugar Ray Ramos and under the circumstances an alias will be handy for him whenever this one-punch fight is mentioned. Townsend's next opponent, The Bomb, is also a New Zealander. He will be hoping not to bomb out like his countryman when he steps in the ring against the White Rhino midway through this month. The 100kg Fagasoia, trained by Brij Sain, has a record of six fights for three wins by knockout, one draw and two losses and is a ranked contender for the New Zealand heavyweight title. Townsend has shed another couple of kilograms from the 122.25 he was when he fought Telepe, alias Ramos, and intends to get down to a fighting weight of about 112kg next year. But Townsend's handlers are not fast-tracking a world title shot in the Anthony Mundine mould. ``A lot has been learned from the Mundine situation against (Sven) Ottke,'' Townsend spokesman Dugald Saunders said yesterday. ``Russell's trainer Paul Isgro has adopted a steady-as-you-go approach.''
End.
Thanks from Javaman.

Javaman

Juniors
I found this on The White Rhino's web site. For some strange reason I cannot put up the link here. I can tell because the address won't underline.There isn't too much on it because it's onlyvery small,so I'll just copy the worthy bits in my opinion. I hope people don't mind:
Welcome.....
Ironic as it may seem but Townsend is training at the Woolloomooloo Police Boy's Club,which years ago used to be used as the old Sydney Police lock-up. Starting out weighing well over a hulking 135kg,Townsend hooked up with exprienced trainer Paul Isgro and after training, hitting the pads and doing some bag work, the Isgro brothers saw potential. Townsends the first to say that his movement and ring craft need work but the biggest problem facing Team Rhino will be finding suitable opponents. Meanwhile the Rhinos had many sparing sessions against different opponents iincluding a 10 round encounter with current Australian Heavyweight champ Bob Mirovic. One step at a time.
Townsend is a 120kg slab of muscle who grew up on a stud farm at Jamberoo and looks as if he could knock out a bull with a well-timed jab.
Townsend has lost 15kg off the frame that saw him shoulder-press a world record 500 pounds (227kg) and bench press an Australian record 600 pounds (272kg). "I've never been fitter in my life," the 30-something fighter said. Described as a"notorious Kings Cross enforcer" by the Wood Royal Comission, Russell Townsend was "a man not to be messed around with." When questioned on his past he is quoted as saying,"If you want to know about me its in your files", in relation to articles written in the newspapers."I could be in jail or even dead now" he says without blinking. "You ask me how far I want to go........as far as I can,obviously. One step at a time beacause I realise there's a chance I might not even have this opportunity. "After hearing of his "career change",already there are plenty of experts predicting he will be feared in the ring as much as he was feared on the streets of the Cross.
Here are some comments made about 'The White Rhino' :
"Australian boxing fans are about to see something very special," I.B.F Vice - President Ray Wheatley
Paul Isgro - "As far as I'm concerned, there's absolutely nobody in boxing that posseses the power Russell has
I.B.F. Vice-President Ray Wheatley - "People I have alot of respect for are very positive about his ability and all reports indicate he is a tremendous power puncher," ......."Russell might only be fivefoot 10 but there's no reason why he can't make it to the top of heavyweight boxing.David Tua is two inches shorter and he's the No.1 contender."
Put Up Your Dukes boxing promoter Dugald Saunders "Russell can also take a hit and he's learning the boxing game really quick."
Australian Middle Champion Vito Gaudiousi - "Are you going to buy me a new bag ?,"after inspecting one of his punching bags following a typical Townsend workout.

TWRImage.3.jpg

Javaman thanking and saying sorry to poster MFC for slightly swaying from his original topic.

B

bender

It is obviously impossible to comment on Townsend for me because I have never seen him box, however, it is not uncommon for big guys to be billed as unbeatable when they win their first couple. Usually this is because (a) their opponents are ordinary and unfit and (b) they all can hit so hard because of their size. Jimmy Thunder was billed as a champion and he was blown out in a round by an average Herbie Hide. I can also remember a young James Grima getting some good attention and he turned out to be nothing. The underground "Kings Cross Connection" is nothing special, Any half decent heavyweight boxer is near on unbeatable in Street fights. Anyone remember Joe Savage, the bare knuckle street fighting champion who fought in that 16 man knockout tournament a few years ago. He lasted less than a round from memory against a real boxer. Still though, wouldn’t it be great if Soloman and Townsend did fight each other.

Cheers Javaman, very interesting indeed.

I may have scrolled past it, but how old is he?? Looks extremely bulky, how well would he go against some of the better boxers that know how to 'work the ring', so to speak. I mean, if he came up against an evasive boxer, he may need a bit more endurance. And with that body frame, i wouldn't be to confident. All his results have come in the 1st and 2nd rounds.

The Rhino v Solomon?? Sounds interesting already

Moffo.

Javaman

Juniors
Poster MFC. If I had to guess Townsend's age, because I don't know for certain, I'd say early to mid thirties at best.
Russell is a big framed boy. A lot more so than that photo does him justice, and even if a photo in printwas to do his size justice, he looks much bigger in person. As wide as anyone I've ever seen, and I use to be a huge bodybuilding fan, so I've seen one or two big boys in my days.
How does that size and muscle work against him in the ring? Well it certainlydoes (as does David Tua's in my opinion). A boxers ability to "work the ring" comes purely from ring experience in the form of title fights, not training time in the gym. No amount of training can compensatefor that in my opinion. The work you do in a fight (in the ring)in comparison to what you display at the gym (spa-ing against others during training sessions) is two completely different things. I've seen some super hard trainers throughout the years who have been mediocre come fight day. If you had've see Mike Tyson hitting that bag durring the training for the Lewis fight, you would have sworn Lewis's head would have left his shoulders come fight day. We all saw what happened.Like the saying goes: "bags don't hit back".And that's one area that Russell Townsend trails in with only a handfull of fights on a professional basis to this date. Fight time and experience.No fault of his though. Fights and challengers are more a political circus in Australia than entertainment value, television and sponsorship rights, and what the fans wantlike it is in some other oversease countries. The way it should be really.Plus Russell Townsend decided to try his luck at boxing at an age alot older than many usually do. Many fightershave retired, or contemplated retirement, at the age when Russell Townsend is just getting into the thick of things (ala: Lennox Lewis at 36yrs).
After saying all of that, Townsend is suprisingly quick and evasive for his pocket-rocket size (I don't believe he's 5-10 like his web site claims). Although there is always room for improvement in boxing (and both Joe Louis-greatest heavyweight&amp; S.R. Robinson-greatest fighter everuse to say that regularly, even though Ali was too cocky and arrogant to ever say it claiming he was the greatest), I beleive that considering the amount of ring experience Townsend has had to this date, he is ahead of many durring the same time in their career. Peaking too soon? Possibly. I tend to believe it's more a case of maturity (age)and experience (on the streets, though it's not always an accurate indicator). Russell Townsend does lack someendurance due to lack of (that phrase again) ring experience and fight practise, but by all reports, even during his bodybuilding years, Russell Townsend payed a lot of attention to his cardiovascular fitness. And he reportedly trains now often with long-duration moderate-intensity (endurance and overall cardiovascular benefits)rather than short-duration high-intensity (more anearobic &amp; explosive movements and plyometrics form of training). So in comparison to some other more experienced fighters, Russell Townsend may lack endurance to last say longer than 5 rounds or so, but it is merely an assumption based on his matches to date. Simply because nobody know until it happens, as he hasn't gone any decent round yet.
I'm not going to say that Russell Townsend is going to rock the international or even national heavyweight boxing scene. But it's so good to see an Aussie heavyweight who looks the part and delievers as good as his opponents will let him at current. If Russell Townsend does crash and burn, it would surprise me and not. It would surprise me because I don't see any Australian hevayweight who has the punch power to KO him (he has an excellent chin by all accounts), and it wouldn't surprise me because it certainly wouldn't be the first time I've been wrong in judgement. More wrong than right actually. Eg of late: I swore there wasn't a fighter in the world who could defeat Prince Naseem Hamed in the featherweight division until he retired. Well we all know what Marco Antonio Barerra did to him in early 2001.

Things may be different up against a world class heavyweight (Vitali&amp; WladimirKlitschko,Evander Holyfield, Mike Tyson or even David Tua) but I guess only time will tell. If it does at all.
I'm certainly a fan and I wish the "The White Rhino" the very best.

Poster bender. You sate that:
Any half decent heavyweight boxer is near on unbeatable in Street fights.
I'm sorry but I don't agree with that statement fully. Very briefly.Boxers fight to a different drum beat that street fighters. Boxers abide (or are suppose to - not all are as wild as Tyson) by certain rules when employing their skills inside the ring. Street fighters have next to no rules when they put their practice to excerscise. If the two (both exceling at their field let's say for arguements sake)were to go at it on the street, I would pick the street fighter 8 times out of ten. Boxers know the techniques to attack and avoid punches. Stree fighters know all the dirty tricks including how to throw and defend punches. Their are exceptions like Max Baer, Jack Dempsey, Jack Johnson,Roberto Duran, Joe Frazier, Sonny Liston and our very own Jeff Fenechjust to name a few, who were all genuine street fighters wellbefore they went into the ring (and remember their success in relation to my comments and feelings about Russell Townsend and how far he may progress) and excelled once their by wining one or more world titles in their respective weight classes. These men were some of the most feared in their time.But in my honest opinion, it was their street fighting skills which gave them the decisive edge.
I won't get into any furtherdepth here poster bender, but I hope you can see deeper into my comments. I don't want to continue changing and swaying from thread topics. I've done too much of that of late.
ps-sorry for any sentences that may sound like they were rushed or misspellings. I did rush this and am in a hurry.
Thanks from Javaman.

Russell Townsend payed a lot of attention to his cardiovascular fitness. And he reportedly trains now often with long-duration moderate-intensity (endurance and overall cardiovascular benefits)rather than short-duration high-intensity (more anearobic &amp; explosive movements and plyometrics form of training).
Do you have any formal training or certification in the health and fitness industry Javaman? Well said Javaman.
Another top post mate
'fan-baller

Thanks Java, i do take your points on the differences betweenpunching bagsand actually getting in the ring and having an opponent. I will have to check out this Townsend, as to be honest, i haven't heard much of him apart from his name.

As for street fighters, it really depends on the individual. An elite (if you could call it that) street fighter would be very hard to topple. But Boxers are usually very disciplined, and this would work in their favour a lot of the time. I mean, i can't say that i know of a lot of street fighters, but id assume there are a lot out there that might just have a great left hook, or something like that. A clever fighter would always be able to get past that, same goes for a disciplined fighter, who would just wait for the right opportunity.

With that all said, its hypothetical anyway! I'd be happy to see an Haumono v Townsend contest.

Moffo.

Javaman

Juniors
Poster Broncos fan baller: I hold a Biochemistry and Human PhysiologyGraduate Certificateas well as a Master of Nutrition and Dietetics GraduateDiploma. Both were attained at the University of Sydney.
I'm also aCertified Strength &amp; Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, and a Certified Personal Trainer with the National Endurance Sports Trainers Association. Both these certifications were obtained whilst I was in the United States of America for 8 months. I did these two certificates first many years ago now,as I wished to persue a career in the health and fitness industry, but realised upon my return to Australia that neither were recognized on the scale I wished or hoped. They did help me though 'getting the foot in the door' at Sydney University.
I am involved in the health and fitness industry to this day. Kind of anyhow.
Because you asked.
Javaman sending regards.

I always thought you were a smart man Javaman. Now I know for sure.
I'm also studying Human Anatomy &amp; Physiology at Uni, but my passion is the fitness industry. I hope to take up Sports Medicine &amp;Physiotherapy maybe next year to help me further with my future career of chice. The N.S.C.A is a great organization which sets many guidlines with strength and endurance training, as is the A.C.S.M with their guidlines. You should feel proud with those certifications because currently (I don't know how long ago you were certified) they are held with the highest praise here in the fitness industry, and globally I hear.
Congratulations on your educational achievements mate. I hope to be there (in your current state)one day too. Good on you and thanks for the reply.
'fan-baller :eek:)

B

bender

MFC and Javaman,

Half decent boxer may have been too strong a term. But a good boxer will beat an unknown "unbeatable" streetfighter. Put it this way, Shannon Taylor, Anthony Mundine,Danny Green etc will not walk into a bar room brawl and get beat by an unknown street thug (Except of course with the possible king hit from behind, usually with a weapon). Certainly, this is trueof all the good fighters i have seen (or heard about)being involved in street fights.

Yes biting, grappling, headbutting etc is important in street fighting is import, but boxing ability is by far the most important aspect of a street fight. IMO, there is no way in the world that Stan Longinidis, Tank Abbott, or anyone else from outside the World Boxing Circuit would not beatLennox Lewis in a one on one fair street fight.

Atilla B

Juniors
I agree with Javaman 100-percent!
Over 90-percent of streetfights or brawls (call them what you like) end up on the ground. Boxers are next to pretty much useless on the ground. I've seen many good boxers lose all sense of being and boxing skillsonce they are submitted to the floor. They just don't know what to do next.They are taught to be the best they can be standing up toe-2-toe, but on the ground they are next toabsolutely useless. And I'm a huge boxing fan, so there's no way I'd speak against the sport if I wasn't being fair and humble.I'll explain:
I have a very good friend who currently holds the Australian (Brazilian) Ju-Jitzu Championship Titlebelt. He is a blue belt and is currently in Dallas, Texas for a North American Championship fight. More about him in a second.For those who aren't aware what Ju-Jitzu is, it's a form of grappling which was made globally famous by the Brazilian Gracie family. Royce (pronounced Hoyce) Gracie first made it publicly famous when he wiped out everyone left-right-and-center in Ultimate Fighting Championships from about I to IV. It was his father who adobted and changedthe style andskills from another form of Asian fighting, but it was Royce who commercialized it.He humiliated everyone from boxers to martial arts experts in UFC events. The guy could hardly throw a decent punch, but could submit the biggest, best and baddest of themwith arm-bars, chock-outs and many other moves like nobody before and during his time. Anyone who has seen some of the early UFC unregulated competitions (in comparison to what it's like now) will know that it was as close as you'll get to street fighting rules. The early UFC tournaments had no rules! Nada!Anything went! His form of fighting (grappling) revolutionized the sport. Today, and pretty much since, every UFCchampion has held some type of grappling style skills. Fighters like Severen, Shamrock, Abbott and even up to Belfort have publicly praised the advantages of grappling skills, because they have claimed it's the most effective skill you can adapt to a no-holds-barred type event. Which is in theory what streetfighting is if you think about it.
Brazilian Ju-Jitzu is only one form of grappling (submission). There are many other from out there like Vale Tudo, Jeet Kune Do, Judo etc...
So what's my point?
My friend (Peter Nicholas is his name-please check it outif you doubt me) who also did boxing and 'underground fighting' in Sydneyfor a short while, swears that grappling (in all itsdifferent art forms)in real world enviroment (on the streets) is far more effective, than any other form of fighting. Especially boxing he says.He should know. I know it's only his opinion, but I've seen enough of them (boxing, grappling and streetfighting) to come to my conclusion. Many streetfighters have mastered the art of grappling more so through trial and error on the streets (fights going to the ground),rather than any formal training in a grappling art.A 'good' streetfighter will almost always beat a 'good'boxer on the streets. I have next to no doubt about this.
Further more, Royce Gracie's achievements in a sport that people swore boxers (hitters)were undefeatable in (in the early days), should prove to you all that some form of grappling will be far more beneficial than boxing alone in a streetfight enviroment....specially considering many more fights go to the ground than in the upright position as was the case in early UFC.
On a seperate issue, I hope to be posting again by the years end. I had to throw my comments in after Javaman bought it to my attention. It feels good to post hereagain. I went through hell to put this post up, so I'll make sure my next one is from my own personal computer.
It's been so long since I posted, I'd forgotten my password and had to create a new account
emembarrassed.gif
That's why the name change. I had to put my surname initial on the end.
Ps- Eels fan... I haven't forgotten your inquiry through email and will address with a reply emailon the info you requested upon my return to QLD
Atilla B - cheerio

Gday lads,

Just on UFC. Shamrock is an amazingly fit and talented athlete. Abbott is a bit of a fat slug, who just happens to have a good punch on him. I would agree that Shamrock would go well, but it all depends on the style of the fight. All it would take say, from a Tyson, would be a solid left hook and it would be all over. I just don't think Shamrock would have the same impact in a fight against someone like that.

That said, Shamrock is a talent. Severn is pretty good as well, from the limited amount that i have seen.

Wouldn't u agree though? The effectiveness of the boxer/streetfighter would totally depend on their individual styles?? I think its very hard to compare, the professional streetfighters (if i can say that...perhaps those out of UFC), would go pretty well, but the amateur scene might be a different story.

Once again, we are talking in hypotheticals. Makes it a bit hard!

Moffo.

Latest posts