What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Have the junior players suffered the most under Stephen Kearney?

Iron Lion

Juniors
I think one of the most damning facts on Stephen Kearney is his utter inability to develop local junior talent.

In 3 years at the Warriors as head coach he has bought through virtually no junior talent.

Jazz Tevaga and Bunty Afoa both were debuted under Andrew Mcfadden.

Under Kearney the only junior players to debut in 3 years are

Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad - Didnt get given a fair go - First grader at Raiders now
Isaiah Papali'i - Clearly shit but persisted with every week
Erin Clark - Not good
James Bell - Not good
Sam Cook - Not good

Joseph Vuna - Not good and went on a mission
Adam Keighran - Looks pretty average
Chanel Harris-Tavita - looks average but tries
Hayze Perham - 1 game only
Adam Pompey - 1 game only

Where has all the outstanding junior talent gone? has it left right out the door?

Why are we persisting with Ashyford, Beale etc?

Compare to somebody like Daniel Anderson it's damning.

Anderson went and found Toopi, Meli, Faafili, Brent Webb, Vinnie Anderson, Richard VIllasanti, Mr Effective etc

Under Stephen Kearney not only are the Warriors the most boring side in the comp. They are no longer a development club anymore.

Shit got "bad". Real bad.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Kearney is shit. Hardly a news flash.

Did the same thing at the Eels when he recruited the likes of Webb, Walker, Whatuira etc when they were all well passed their prime.

When that didn't work he massively overplayed for a magic bullet half called Chris Sandow.

VillaTheGorilla

Juniors
Satae in that list too I would guess?

But yeah that's something i think is having a pretty huge impact for us...not only are we having to pay overs for everyone we bring here, we're not developing any of our players so we're not getting those 2-4 years of having good young talent dirt cheap.

Look at the Roosters, they've had Latrel Mitchell and Joseph Manu on peanuts for most of the last 2-3 years, giving them the ability of having a more well rounded roster by being able to spend more in other areas

vvvrulz

Coach
You’re underrating CHT and Ayshford + Beale are generally doing their jobs as reliable journeymen. Dumping Kata was the smartest thing all season.

But generally you’re right regarding shit selections - look at the Blair vs Sao situation. It started way back with McDud though and I genuinely believe we nearly had a competition threatening team at times.

Our problem is our culture.

Rich102

Staff member
Forget who debuted them.
His point about our juniors drying up is spot on.
And it is hurting us badly.
We have not developed our juniors properly since Ackland left.
Add to this CN-K left because he couldn't get a start while Kata was terrible yet continually picked.
And Blair I lay squarely at SK's door.

Big Marn

Juniors
What was the deal with Ackland? Not head coach mentality? Seems like he was hovering but never got the opportunity. He couldn't have been any worse than who "management" has selected over the years

Campion

Juniors
I think emphatically 'yes' to this question. And I think it's because Kearney is so 'stickey' with his selections (though our players used in season count might not show this). It seems to take A LOT for him to drop someone. All this means the juniors aren't getting opportunities except through injury. I think the incentives are all wrong: perform well as a junior and ... wait for someone to get injured?

Izz

Bench
What was the deal with Ackland? Not head coach mentality? Seems like he was hovering but never got the opportunity. He couldn't have been any worse than who "management" has selected over the years
Clashed with Elliott re developing juniors, iirc. Ackland seemed more about winning than getting guys ready for FG (though perhaps his playing a prop on the wing was revolutionary considering how we like to put second-rowers there), while Elliott wanted guys who were too good for NYC to play NSW cup. Pity they couldn't find a way to make it work because Ackland definitely knew how to get the best out of players.

And I've just realized all the above isn't really offering an answer to your question at all. Ackland applied to be head coach when Cleary left but lost out to Bluey. Dunno if he threw his hat in the ring again when Bluey was sacked.

JJ

Immortal
Who hasn't suffered in Kearney's tenure... oh, I know, that cloudsurfer guy - he's loving it

Blair

Coach
When we were applying to enter the NSWRL one of our big selling points was the 'huge talent pool in NZ'!

It now seems we've thought up a peculiar strategy here, we're ignoring our homegrown talent whilst creating interest in rugby league, whereby, those young players head to Aussie (or, sometimes, the UK).

Those administrators, whose decision brought us into the competition in 1992, will be both delighted, and a bit confused, with this outcome.

Iron Lion

Juniors
Two NRL future stars one debuted last night and one close to debuting

Both Massive props.

Peter Hola - Cowboys
Spencer Leniu - Panthers - Described as good as Payne Hass

Both from Auckland!!!!!

Who needs these guys where you have Papallii and Blair. On Ya Kearney.