What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Havili signed for 2016

Well he is still signed to you guys until the end of next year so I wonder have they actually released him if not this rumours goes no where.

Dragon_psa

First Grade
The difference is that Stanley and King are very talented, just injury prone. Some kind of genetic problem with the knees for the former and maybe just the way the latter plays leads to many injuries. I'm not sure what anyone ever saw in Dan Hunt. The Dragons were always more successful without Hunt in the team. Supercoach Price thought it was prudent to get rid of Weyman but sign sign Dan Hunt on a long-term, big money contract. Absolutely baffling even for supercoach Price.

DFH was actually bloody good until he did his Achilles in 2010. He's never been the same since.

giboz71

First Grade
I think L'Estrange has been solid not sure why they would not look to re-sign him longer. This kid must be a cheaper option than hanging on to L'Estrange. Unless they get rid of Garvey.

What is Cameron King upto these days. Is he still injured? Geez he was good just injury prone. Saints dodged a bullet with him. Pity they did not do the same with the Stanley Bros and Dan Hunt.

Funny how they say Saints Salary cap issues will be gone in 2017. After Dan Hunt and Ben Creagh's time is up. How much of the cap do these 2 take especially Dan Hunt. Are we talking freeing up around 1 mil on these 2 players?

There have been periods where our attack looks sharper when Le'strange at hooker. Just provides a bit more slickness, passes sharper and provides slightly more creativity in linking with halves/centres.

Don't get me wrong, he's a back up hooker at best, but it shows how deficient we are at hooker when a back up journeyman veteran makes us look better.

We need someone...hopefully this guy ends up being the one.

V

Vasilevsky

DFH was actually bloody good until he did his Achilles in 2010. He's never been the same since.

Thanks for your opinion but I don't necessarily agree. I think he was solid at best. At best an Aiden Toman-like prop but didn't have the same stamina Tolman has.

Creagh is basically playing for nothing next year.

Hunt is getting part of his contract paid by the NRL for his injury and looks like retiring with a job with the club.

Farrell they tried to off load him and i can see it happening again.

King is usually on the bench for the pride in the Qld cup is playing so thats a plus but will never come back.

Both Stanleys injury prone both gone so no need to even mention them anymore.

jenninga

First Grade
Is 22 and made the bench for NZ in 2014.
If cheap, a potential to be a project for the coaching staff at worst. Blokes have been known to improve on occasion in this game.
Some signings have to be a roll of the dice, as long as the investment isn't too high I have no problem with that. I trust the crew in charge of signings in the decision making process. Fortunately for all of us as fans none of the obvious clowns on here are able to get anywhere near influencing these decisions.

Good recruiters have hunch's at times and some work out and others don't.Have to laugh at the negative responses to player signings who aren't immortal status,and people who say we should retain certain players,it's not as if we have won a comp with these players.

hardbaby

Coach
[/b]
good recruiters have hunch's at times and some work out and others don't.have to laugh at the negative responses to player signings who aren't immortal status,and people who say we should retain certain players,it's not as if we have won a comp with these players.

100%

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Thanks for your opinion but I don't necessarily agree. I think he was solid at best. At best an Aiden Toman-like prop but didn't have the same stamina Tolman has.

I agree with Dragon Psa...sorry, only my opinion. A long time ago, Dan Hunt showed huge potential. His Achilles injury crippled him and like a lot of major injuries, effected his mental state. That's a whole issue on its own but when you are used to being physically fit, ten foot tall and bulletproof, to be incapacitated for a length of time impacts your mental state. Throw in a few major knee ops and the poor bloke has been dealt a pretty shitty hand.
This in turn can cause depression and anxiety amongst otherwise, physically fit beings.
Hunt had the world at his feet and unfortunately for him, had the rug pulled from underneath him. I understand why he was signed and the length of time. Just one of those signings that didn't pan out the way we hoped.
I wish him well and wish others would move on.

Jubileeboy

First Grade
[/B]
Good recruiters have hunch's at times and some work out and others don't.Have to laugh at the negative responses to player signings who aren't immortal status,and people who say we should retain certain players,it's not as if we have won a comp with these players.

Well said.

The Nick

Bench
I agree with Dragon Psa...sorry, only my opinion. A long time ago, Dan Hunt showed huge potential. His Achilles injury crippled him and like a lot of major injuries, effected his mental state. That's a whole issue on its own but when you are used to being physically fit, ten foot tall and bulletproof, to be incapacitated for a length of time impacts your mental state. Throw in a few major knee ops and the poor bloke has been dealt a pretty shitty hand.
This in turn can cause depression and anxiety amongst otherwise, physically fit beings.
Hunt had the world at his feet and unfortunately for him, had the rug pulled from underneath him. I understand why he was signed and the length of time. Just one of those signings that didn't pan out the way we hoped.
I wish him well and wish others would move on.

Amen. The Hunt bashing in this forum is pathetic. At one stage of his career he was being touted as a potential origin player and he always gave his all for the club when fit. He was a big part of our squad during our 2010 premiership run too.

People make him out to be public enemy number 1 for accepting a good deal. What was he supposed to do, say "no thanks, I think my body will break down in the future and I may struggle with my mental health, could you please offer me a lower contract with less security?"

saints4me

Juniors
Amen. The Hunt bashing in this forum is pathetic. At one stage of his career he was being touted as a potential origin player and he always gave his all for the club when fit. He was a big part of our squad during our 2010 premiership run too.

People make him out to be public enemy number 1 for accepting a good deal. What was he supposed to do, say "no thanks, I think my body will break down in the future and I may struggle with my mental health, could you please offer me a lower contract with less security?"

+1

possm

Coach

Accepting a good deal is and was never the problem.

Clinging on to his contract when he is no longer fit for purpose is the problem. By all means make an insurance claim and live off that or at the end of a treatment plan, move into more suitable employment.

It's not all Hunts fault, Doust and Craig Young have a lot to answer for. If a four year contract was is considered to be the go, why not a 2 year deal with a further 2 year option in favour of the Club.

And for those who might think I'm being a bit hard on Hunt, consider what the Club cold have done this year with a new top line prop or could you imagine any of our past Club greats hanging on like this.

rainman44

Bench
Accepting a good deal is and was never the problem.

Clinging on to his contract when he is no longer fit for purpose is the problem. By all means make an insurance claim and live off that or at the end of a treatment plan, move into more suitable employment.

It's not all Hunts fault, Doust and Craig Young have a lot to answer for. If a four year contract was is considered to be the go, why not a 2 year deal with a further 2 year option in favour of the Club.

And for those who might think I'm being a bit hard on Hunt, consider what the Club cold have done this year with a new top line prop or could you imagine any of our past Club greats hanging on like this.

Sorry you can't blame Hunt Its Young snr and Doust full stop. Well done to Hunt and his manager.

Gm5

Juniors
If I couldn't perform my job for one reason or another I'd be let go and replaced

Jubileeboy

First Grade
If I couldn't perform my job for one reason or another I'd be let go and replaced

Maybe so...if that's what your agreed contract and employment obligations specify.
I'm lead to believe an agreement has been reached and don't think we are paying full freight anyway. Let it go lads....

Hills Dragon

Juniors

BennyV

Referee

I dont despise Hunt for taking the deal he was offered. He annoys me as a player, as any prop who gets driven back into his own in goal should hang his head in shame. But by all reports he is a very likeable guy, and what he's been through sucks. Dont dislike the guy, just want him off our books.

The real thing that shits me if those who aigned him to that ridiculous contract. He may have had great potential, but he was never anywhere near the money we are paying him (considering the cap was much lower back then) especially not for the that length of time. It has royally f**ked up our salary for years. And hes not the only signing biting us at the moment.

giboz71

First Grade
Maybe so...if that's what your agreed contract and employment obligations specify.
I'm lead to believe an agreement has been reached and don't think we are paying full freight anyway. Let it go lads....

Yes agreed. He would have been our starting prop in the GF if he hadn't hurt himself. I didn't agree with his 400k contract but it was a panic decision based on Smith, Costigan and Saffy all leaving. Given the way our forwards performed in the Price years, no wonder they threw the kitchen sink at one of our better forwards to stay on.

It was one of many bad decisions we made after Bennett left and terrible results followed. We are fixing the problem, so agreed let's move on.

Latest posts