What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Havili signed for 2016

bottle

Coach
Anyone who actually watched DFH prior to his achilles injury, like Wayne Bennett for example, knew what he was capable of, and hence rated him.
Still, I'll just shut up about that now.
As for it not being all Hunt's fault, this is almost true. None of it is Hunt's 'fault'. He was made a ridiculous offer and grabbed it with both hands.

Last edited:
V

Vasilevsky

Anyone who actually watched DFH prior to his achilles injury, like Wayne Bennett for example, knew what he was capable of, and hence rated him.
Still, I'll just shut up about that now.

I wouldn't trust Bennett. He left the team in a shambles, with a dearth of promising jnrs coming through and several players well past their best signed to long-term contracts. And with an extremely bad replacement whom he recommended.

If he was employed to win a premiership at any cost, he did his job. If he was employed to set up a system of long-term success, he was a disaster.

ghostface

Juniors
I wouldn't trust Bennett. He left the team in a shambles, with a dearth of promising jnrs coming through and several players well past their best signed to long-term contracts. And with an extremely bad replacement whom he recommended.

If he was employed to win a premiership at any cost, he did his job. If he was employed to set up a system of long-term success, he was a disaster.

It's naive to think that all of the clubs issues boils down to Wayne Bennett. That's an excuse for the litany of ineptitude and poor decisions from management.

It seems management have read some 80's management text book, Rule number 1 in management: If things are successful you take all the credit, when things go bad make sure you have someone else that can take the blame.

Wayne set us up for success. Solid membership numbers, strong crowd revenue, strong sponsorship revenue and we simply squandered a golden opportunity... but remember the rule, if things go bad blame someone else.

bottle

Coach
I'm referring only to the fact that Bennett picked him week in week out whilst he was coach here with a view to winning a Premiership. I agree totally that that was his only focus.
It's the same argument I use for those that dissed Prior, or anyone else who was part of our team each week, including Hornby and Young by a variety of posters at times. If he was good enough for Bennett to pick him, that will do me.
Post Bennett is another story. Bennett was engaged to a an immediate job, not plan for the future, That responsibility fell to others, and they muffed it.

V

Vasilevsky

It's naive to think that all of the clubs issues boils down to Wayne Bennett. That's an excuse for the litany of ineptitude and poor decisions from management.

It seems management have read some 80's management text book, Rule number 1 in management: If things are successful you take all the credit, when things go bad make sure you have someone else that can take the blame.

Wayne set us up for success. Solid membership numbers, strong crowd revenue, strong sponsorship revenue and we simply squandered a golden opportunity... but remember the rule, if things go bad blame someone else.

But he did sign Fein, Cooper, Hornby, Young and others I'm sure to long-term contracts just before leaving. I don't want to denigrate the services of the last 3 or even the first one but judging by what has been happening under Mary, they would have been offered 1 year or 2 at most and in hindsight, that would have been the right decision.

At the Broncos Bennett never had any trouble retiring club legends one year too early let alone 2 or 3 too late as he did at the Dragons. I'm quite sure at the Broncos he also took an active interest in the young players coming through, something he obviously didn't do at the Dragons.

On another note, may I inquire about your choice of avatar? What is the meaning of it on this NRL forum?

Last edited by a moderator:

jenninga

First Grade
Hunt was in the midst of having a great season until he broke down.
He was never the same after that devastating injury.I still remember being extremely disappointed for him breaking down back then,and extremely critical of his performances when he came back.

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I Think you add Farrell into the equation on overs ( allegedly MacGregor tried to get cronulla to take him but he failed a fitness test) + we could be paying some of Beale's contract this year and it all adds up. Thank goodness Mullholland is here to clean up the mess left behind be others.

hate to think we are still paying part of Beales contract, what a disappointment he turned out to be...lucky to be playing 1st grade imo

giboz71

First Grade

In fairness, Bennett did hand debuts to the likes of Merrin, Rein, De Belin, Kyle Stanley, Cameron King and Alex Mackinnon. That's actually not a bad junior class.

Unfortunately, Stanley and King were cruelled by injury, but could have been anything. De Belin and Rein were stunted by Price and Merrin became a bona fide Origin player. Mackinnon was the only one he took with him.

So I don't buy that Bennett left us in a shambles. Price just royally screwed what he started.

V

Vasilevsky

In fairness, Bennett did hand debuts to the likes of Merrin, Rein, De Belin, Kyle Stanley, Cameron King and Alex Mackinnon. That's actually not a bad junior class.

Unfortunately, Stanley and King were cruelled by injury, but could have been anything. De Belin and Rein were stunted by Price and Merrin became a bona fide Origin player. Mackinnon was the only one he took with him.

So I don't buy that Bennett left us in a shambles. Price just royally screwed what he started.

Most of them were brought into the system by Brown. The ones brought into first grade around 2013/14 were the class of Bennett. Stockwell and....... Garvey and........... Perhaps Matiutai. Having said that I think Stockwell has promise. He just needs to put on a couple of kilos and add the equivalent amount of aggression. Still, one must admit, the jnr development since Brown left has cratered. I don't mean to praise Brown too highly. He was a disaster as a head coach (put in far too early) but an unbelievably good talent scout who obviously put a lot of effort into jnr development.

The Cobra

Juniors
I did like & respect Bennett until I was told by a close friend of th late Graeme Murray, that Bennett said to Murray half way through 2012 that if Murray wanted the coaching job at Saints he would make sure he got it because Price was a good bloke but no where near a 1st grade coach!This is the same prick that recommended Price to be his successor!

V

Vasilevsky

I did like & respect Bennett until I was told by a close friend of th late Graeme Murray, that Bennett said to Murray half way through 2012 that if Murray wanted the coaching job at Saints he would make sure he got it because Price was a good bloke but no where near a 1st grade coach!This is the same prick that recommended Price to be his successor!

I think people underestimate Bennetts competitive nature. He was going to a rival club and seemingly had every intention of leaving the Dragons in a mess.

thestevo888

Juniors

Assuming this was the case, I'm not sure this is particularly damning. Murray was a decent coach, and if Bennett was encouraging him to take the job it's surely evidence that he was trying to look out for the club after he departed.

If Murray said no, it's hardly Bennett's responsibility to find another replacement - that falls to the forum's favourite villain, Doust.

Bottom line on Bennett - he worked to a timeframe, achieved his goal, and moved on. If we expected an empire builder, we should have looked elsewhere.

V

Vasilevsky

Assuming this was the case, I'm not sure this is particularly damning. Murray was a decent coach, and if Bennett was encouraging him to take the job it's surely evidence that he was trying to look out for the club after he departed.

If Murray said no, it's hardly Bennett's responsibility to find another replacement - that falls to the forum's favourite villain, Doust.

Bottom line on Bennett - he worked to a timeframe, achieved his goal, and moved on. If we expected an empire builder, we should have looked elsewhere.

I agree with the last paragraph if his goal was to win a premiership. If his goal was to set them up for long-term success, he not only failed miserably but I get the distinct impression he conspired against it.

I don't understand the rest at all. If it is true and he recommended someone he knew wasn't suitable, you don't find that damning?

On a brighter note, too early to say yet with any kind of certainty but I get the distinct Mary and PM are laying the foundations for a great empire.

The Nick

Bench
Bennett can't be blamed for leaving our club in a rabble - although his recommendation of Price as head coach was borderline criminal.

The fact is after our three years under Bennett and a Premiership our whole squad increased in value beyond the salary cap.

Michael Weyman was signed as an overweight, unfit, injury prone player from the Raiders scrap heap and became a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Brett Morris started 2009 in NSW Cup and went on to become a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Beau Scott went from being a dumb, error prone player to becoming a legitimate SOO enforcer under Bennett.

Dean Young went from being a solid first grader to becoming a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Trent Merrin would have been on close to minimum wage as an up and coming first grader, to a guy who will next year be one of the highest paid forwards in the game.

Jamie Soward went from the scrap heap to becoming a SOO player.

Pretty much all NRL contracts have clauses that trigger automatic upgrades in the event of rep selection.

The fact is with the premiership success and the fact that we were a fairly old squad, there was going to be a rebuilding phase. Unfortunately this has been exacerbated by the club's decision to sign and retain Price for as long as they did.

Bennett did what was required of him. If he had stuck around the rebuild wouldn't have been as painful, but to be honest I doubt we would have retained Morris and Merrin anyway. When it comes to the business of winning Bennett has never been a man of sentiment. Remember he's moved on the likes of Wally Lewis, Petero Civonaceva, Carl Webb and Scott Prince. And history shows that he has never been to keen on paying wingers and middle men big salaries.

We're not where we want to be, but anyone who knows anything about Rugby League can see we're on the right track and even with little room to move under the salary cap we are rebuilding a solid squad that is competitive and will be seriously challenging for a Premiership in a year or two.

Straight Shooter
(Keeping it real)

Jubileeboy

First Grade
Bennett can't be blamed for leaving our club in a rabble - although his recommendation of Price as head coach was borderline criminal.

The fact is after our three years under Bennett and a Premiership our whole squad increased in value beyond the salary cap.

Michael Weyman was signed as an overweight, unfit, injury prone player from the Raiders scrap heap and became a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Brett Morris started 2009 in NSW Cup and went on to become a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Beau Scott went from being a dumb, error prone player to becoming a legitimate SOO enforcer under Bennett.

Dean Young went from being a solid first grader to becoming a SOO and Test player under Bennett.

Trent Merrin would have been on close to minimum wage as an up and coming first grader, to a guy who will next year be one of the highest paid forwards in the game.

Jamie Soward went from the scrap heap to becoming a SOO player.

Pretty much all NRL contracts have clauses that trigger automatic upgrades in the event of rep selection.

The fact is with the premiership success and the fact that we were a fairly old squad, there was going to be a rebuilding phase. Unfortunately this has been exacerbated by the club's decision to sign and retain Price for as long as they did.

Bennett did what was required of him. If he had stuck around the rebuild wouldn't have been as painful, but to be honest I doubt we would have retained Morris and Merrin anyway. When it comes to the business of winning Bennett has never been a man of sentiment. Remember he's moved on the likes of Wally Lewis, Petero Civonaceva, Carl Webb and Scott Prince. And history shows that he has never been to keen on paying wingers and middle men big salaries.

We're not where we want to be, but anyone who knows anything about Rugby League can see we're on the right track and even with little room to move under the salary cap we are rebuilding a solid squad that is competitive and will be seriously challenging for a Premiership in a year or two.

Straight Shooter
(Keeping it real)

Great post mate
I like it. I like it a lot

You post that in JA and get ready to be assassinated.

stevejay

Juniors
Bennett stitched us up. I've no doubt. Bennett does what he can to win. It's his MO. He does it better than anyone. Leaving us in a mess was planned.

Great post mate
I like it. I like it a lot

You post that in JA and get ready to be assassinated.
This 'JA' place fascinates me. Secret boys club?
Why so difficult to join? Do I have to start a 'sack mary' thread first?

Latest posts