What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne fires a shot at Gallop

adamkungl

Immortal
If Wally was at Parra the last decade youd probably have a title or 2 and millions in the bank, rather then putting your hand out to the leagues club every year.

Leagues Clubs exist to fund League teams.

MsStorm

Bench
Leagues Clubs exist to fund League teams.

I think they are a good idea, if people spend wisely on the pokies.
I might sound a bit ignorant here cos I have never been to one in NSW or Q'ld. but I was told that a lot of people watch their teams play at the leagues club, instead of attending games...does that really happen?

Perth Red

Post Whore
apart from the moral implications of funding sport through an activity that creates some serious social problems the reality is that Leagues Clubs funding is drying up and not a long term sustainable source of income for clubs. Maybe that's why the Storm aren't bothering?

adamkungl

Immortal
apart from the moral implications of funding sport through an activity that creates some serious social problems the reality is that Leagues Clubs funding is drying up and not a long term sustainable source of income for clubs. Maybe that's why the Storm aren't bothering?

moral implications... if the money wasn't funding sport, including juniors, it would be going straight into the pocket of some CEO.

Perth Red

Post Whore
There is clear evidence that the easier you make something the more people will take part in it. Reality is that pokies do cause significant social harm to families. A number of sports clubs in Australia don't have pokies and are succesful.

Leaving the moralistic aspects aside the leagues Clubs are currently losing significant amounts of money. It looks like their time may have past. NRL clubs that are massively reliant on their funding, and also junior RL programmes, better have some alternatives up their sleeves.

MsStorm

Bench
There is clear evidence that the easier you make something the more people will take part in it. Reality is that pokies do cause significant social harm to families. A number of sports clubs in Australia don't have pokies and are succesful.

Leaving the moralistic aspects aside the leagues Clubs are currently losing significant amounts of money. It looks like their time may have past. NRL clubs that are massively reliant on their funding, and also junior RL programmes, better have some alternatives up their sleeves.

From what I read, a lot of afl clubs in Melb. make a great deal of money from their pokies venues...seems strange the nsw clubs are losing money...the state of the economy in nsw?

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
From what I read, a lot of afl clubs in Melb. make a great deal of money from their pokies venues...seems strange the nsw clubs are losing money...the state of the economy in nsw?

The pokies tax is a wee bit bigger in NSW then it is in Vic and Qld. Plus the smoking ban has hit just as hard.

Green Machine

First Grade

It hasn't stopped the Melbourne AFL clubs:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/af...s-lose-tens-of-millions/story-0-1225755720455

AFL clubs benefit as punters lose tens of millions
Gareth Trickey
July 29, 2009 12:00AM
AFL clubs are pocketing tens of millions of dollars a year thanks to unlucky punters at suburban pokies venues.

Gambling houses controlled by nine Victorian AFL teams have taken about $85.4 million from 1273 poker machines in the past year.
Figures released by the Victorian Commission for Gambling Regulation show some venues were recording windfalls of up to $168,000 from each machine.
Collingwood Football Club hit the jackpot last financial year with punters at its five venues losing more than $17 million.
Pokies players at clubs owned by Essendon, Hawthorn and Richmond also lost more than $10 million.
But it was Hawthorn Football Club's Vegas at Waverley Gardens gambling venue that took in the most cash per machine, with pokies players depositing an average of $168,932 in each machine.

Victorian-based AFL clubs control about 5 per cent of the state's 26,772 poker machines in hotels and clubs.
North Melbourne was the only Victorian club not to take advantage of the losses of punters at pokies venues.
Independent senator Nick Xenophon called on AFL clubs to get out of the pokies industry and to stop exploiting fans.
"The clubs need to acknowledge the devastating impact these machines have on their supporters," he said.
"Half of all poker machine losses come from problem gamblers, so half of the money the clubs are getting must come from footy fans with gambling problems.
"People have to come before profits.
"If AFL clubs genuinely care about their fans they must get out of the poker machine industry."
Anti-gambling campaigner and World Vision Australia chief the Rev Tim Costello said poker machines tore families apart.
"Kids look to AFL players as their heroes and the heady mix of sport depending on a revenue source that destroys many families and takes lives is a bad mix. It's not good branding," he said.
Recent figures show each poker machine in Victoria took an average of more than $100,000 between July 1 last year and June 30.
A record $2.7 billion was pumped into poker machines in the 12 months to July 1.

Green Machine

First Grade
The pokies tax is a wee bit bigger in NSW then it is in Vic and Qld. Plus the smoking ban has hit just as hard.
I think the tax in QLD is the same as the current level in NSW. A lot of the smarter clubs and pubs have got around the smoking ban by moving the pokies outdoors. My pub still has them indoors and they are hardly ever used now.

Cockadoodledoo

First Grade

The Storm just dip their hand in the NRL till each year.

Loudstrat

Coach
I think the tax in QLD is the same as the current level in NSW. A lot of the smarter clubs and pubs have got around the smoking ban by moving the pokies outdoors. My pub still has them indoors and they are hardly ever used now.
And which poker machine venue in QLD funds an NRL side?

Green Machine

First Grade
And which poker machine venue in QLD funds an NRL side?
I'm not sure Misty. I know that Cowboys Leagues Club now controls North Queensland. I don't know what kind of grant the Broncos Leagues Club gives to Brisbane. The question was about the level of poker machine tax, not how reliant Sydney Clubs are to poker machines. I have no problem with money from poker machines being put back into sport and community activities. I don't like the idea of companies like Woolworths who can buy pubs with poker machines and then that money goes back into their bottom line. Hope that answered your question,