What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne~NFL~RU~Tits~Eels~Dad~Jailed~Mistrial~Jailed 5yrs~Retrial~Jailed~Appeal~Quashed-Sued

Gronk

Staff member
They either have the work experience kid doing the court sketches today, or Hayne is involved in some kind of government Face/Off transplant experiment using prisoners
View attachment 86064

He looks very worried judging by his brow... but maybe he was just reacting to the incredulity of the reported line of argument his well paid legal team were attempting t put forward in what is his final appeal?

Gronk

Staff member
He gets out on parole in May next year, so “clearing his name” might seem an egotistical process, however I assume that the appeal has a lot to do with the civil claim against him launched by the plaintiff.

BTW I don’t really get what the deleted txt messages actually mean. Anyone ?

The court was told the woman had listened to Hayne's prior appeal in 2021 and contacted the social media friend on Facebook the same day.

Hayne, 36, has always maintained his innocence, insisting the sexual encounter was consensual.

'I hope this was worth it for you,' the message read.

'The pain I have endured from all of this is unfathomable. I have never lied. I have never done anything to you and for you to write something to JH about me having him over does not excuse what happened.

'I did not tell you because it was disgusting and confusing for me. If he gets out, you can thank yourself.

'This has been the hardest most painful thing I've ever been through and you can thank yourself for helping a guilty person.'

Hayne's lawyers argue the messages were relevant to the complainant's credibility, demonstrating her contacting a witness in a 'hostile manner'.

They argued the woman 'potentially' had a view to influencing the witness account.

'It also, more importantly, underscores the complainant's attitude to evidence of (the woman), that it did not lend support to her account and that she was angry that the evidence had come to light,' court documents state.

Mr Game said the concealment showed she wanted to get rid of evidence which was 'hurtful' but also because it showed she was 'actually consenting'.

He told the court: 'It's evidence of dishonesty, it also goes to her credibility in a general sense.'

But Crown prosecutor Georgina Wright SC told the court the complainant did not tell the woman about the assault because they were not known well to each other.

'She had never spoken to her and had never met her and said she did not know her at all well,' Ms Wright said.

Ms Wright told the court the complainant had told close friends and family of the assault in the hours after the incident.

But she argued the Facebook message to the social media friend was 'consistent with an expression of frustration with the legal process', denying claims the complainant was concealing messages from police.

Hayne's appeal relies on three grounds – the first being the verdicts were unreasonable and not supported by evidence at trial, secondly, the trial judge erred in ruling the complainant did not have to give evidence about a 2021 interaction with the man she messaged the same day the jury found she was sexually assaulted in 2018, and lastly, that the judge's ruling resulted in a miscarriage of justice.

Hayne was sentenced to four years and nine months behind bars for the charges of digital and oral sexual assault, but he will be eligible for parole in May 2025 due to time already served in custody.

Judgment in the appeal will be issued at a later date.

Latest posts