What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne Omission

watatank

Coach
Hayne didn't win - the union flyer did. Hayne beat the league blokes

Josh Morris WAS in the race - so was Brett.

Gimmicky or not - they were all trying (except perhaps for Inglis? but he looked like he was trying).

Actually Brett Morris wasn't in the race.

I think Hayne would've beaten him though.

watatank

Coach
Stuart also elaborated on the controversial omission of Hayne, who has filled a playmaking role from fullback with his NRL club Parramatta.

"I don't need that, I need him playing in a fullback shape," Stuart said.

"I've got two pivots on the field to put him into a bit of field position.

"Jarryd Hayne's probably the best short-side player in the game outside of Johnathan Thurston but I need him in another role."

http://www.nrl.com/the-hayne-explai...spx?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Y2Eel

First Grade
Morris won't let anyone down, he has lifted his work rate the past month or so and he's just about the quickest player in the comp. Hayne should have put his hand up all season, rather than one half of good footy against the Cowboys last weekend and while I think he should have been picked, he did himself no favours. Morris has done nothing wrong at SOO level but he's there to score tries and he's yet to open his account. That'll happen in game one and he'll be away.

There is only 3 Eels players that have put their hand up all Season Hayne Fui Fui and Manah.. Watch more eels games before you comment...

oldmancraigy

Coach
Stuart also elaborated on the controversial omission of Hayne, who has filled a playmaking role from fullback with his NRL club Parramatta.

"I don't need that, I need him playing in a fullback shape," Stuart said.

"I've got two pivots on the field to put him into a bit of field position.

"Jarryd Hayne's probably the best short-side player in the game outside of Johnathan Thurston but I need him in another role."

Is Ricky aware that is what Hayne did in games 2/3 last year in Origin?

I suppose he expects the Eels to be 0-9 this year just so Hayne can NOT pass the ball and show rIcKy that he can play in a "fullback shape"....

Logic:
Player has done this at Origin before
Will player be able to do at Origin again?
Ricky says no.

Ricky stuRat logic fail.

Jono078

Referee
If Brett Morris doesn't perform and get involved he has to be dropped for Hayne.

He may be a waste on the wing but he'll still do more on the wing and make more of a mark on the game than Morris would.

oldmancraigy

Coach
If Brett Morris doesn't perform and get involved he has to be dropped for Hayne.

He may be a waste on the wing but he'll still do more on the wing and make more of a mark on the game than Morris would.

No offence - but that's almost as stupid as not picking Hayne in the first place!

If he was going to "help out" on the wing, then surely he should've been picked there for this game.

The dialogue from sticky is that he won't pick players out of position: so to pick Hayne on the wing would be even more geniusedly inept.

If NSW don't win this game, there should probably be another enquiry and they should probably pick a new coach for games 2-3 to start rebuilding for 2012.
Game 1 is SO important, it's just not the time for an egomaniac to experiment. The team which wins game 1 wins the series. It's that simple - picking a dud lineup (well, 4/5 very questionable decisions) should put the selectors and coach right on the chopping block.

Danish

Referee
are people honestly arguing that morris is a worthy selection over hayne?

Hayne is a better player than anyone in the NSW backline. End of story.

If Hayne and Slater played for opposite teams (Hayne at the Storm since 06 and Slater at Parra), then he would be unquestionably the best player in the game, and have been playing in both the NSW and Australian no.1 jersey for the past 4 years.... well actually, even in that situation he probably wouldn't have unseated Gidley

Y2Eel

First Grade
the dialogue from dickface was that unless Hayne plays 5/8 he will never pick him

Thats what it sounded like to me.... He said Hayne plays too much of a second 5/8 for parra...... Whats he want I bet Hayne would like to be running onto passes from a good half or 5/8 but the Eels dont have that....

ANTiLAG

First Grade
There is a lot of unnecessary cross arguing. Most agree that Hayne would be more effective than B Morris on the wing.

B Morris is enjoying a stellar fortuitous representative career when there are continually better options than him for both state and country.

This is not a Saints bashing post either. I'd have Hornby over Pearce any day.

Hutty1986

Immortal
There is a lot of unnecessary cross arguing. Most agree that Hayne would be more effective than B Morris on the wing.

B Morris is enjoying a stellar fortuitous representative career when there are continually better options than him for both state and country.

Well fair enough, Rugby League is all about game plans

Y2Eel

First Grade

Oh hell yeah Hornby will give 100% the whole game atleast...... Stuart and the other selectors are idiots...

perverse

Referee
are people honestly arguing that morris is a worthy selection over hayne?

Hayne is a better player than anyone in the NSW backline. End of story.

If Hayne and Slater played for opposite teams (Hayne at the Storm since 06 and Slater at Parra), then he would be unquestionably the best player in the game, and have been playing in both the NSW and Australian no.1 jersey for the past 4 years.... well actually, even in that situation he probably wouldn't have unseated Gidley
bollocks, the thing that sets Slater and Hayne apart has nothing to do with skill sets or team mates, and everything to do with heart. Billy has it (absolutely shitloads of it)... Jarryd doesn't. if Jarryd can find his, then he will be able to put a mortgage on rep jerseys. i would have had him on my wing, for sure, but no way i would select him over Dugan or Gordon at fullback at the moment.

Springs

First Grade
I think Hindy's NSW career is over. I didn't recongise him in Origin last year.

But I agree that it would have alarmed me more seeing Hayne and Idris in the NSW backline. Ridiculous calls.

Probably because he was about the only one who was trying. It's strange to see a NSW player actually put their heart into it these days.

I always wondered... We used to win the series with players like Hindmarsh, Fitzgibbon, Ryan, Menzies and Kennedy and Queensland now win with players like Myles, Harrison, Johnson and Costigan but now we think we need to pick dickheads like Bird and Watmough and players who do nothing but run holes once a game like Creagh. Because Origin passion isn't heart and hard work like Myles and Johnson have, it's niggle and aggressiveness like Ennis and Bird have.

And we can't leave Hayne out. I don't know why NSW have this reluctance to pick actual talent.

RHCP

Bench
Wow, horrible decision. Just horrible.

It's all going to script.

Game One - 'New look Blues ready to give it to Maroons' - Several debutants chosen so we can stick with them and they will become the future, much like 'the future' in 2010, 2009, 2008, etc. One facet of the team retained (2010 - backrow, 2011 - front row) so that the selectors and coach can say 'hey, we're picking and sticking'.

Game Two - Crunch game. Selectors panic. They need more experience. Debutants dropped, old hasbeens brought in. Media and fans cry out for the return of the proven campaigners (2010 - Gallen, Bird, 2011 - Lewis, Hayne), but instead the selectors opt for 'agression' and 'experience' (2010 - Hindmarsh, O'Donnell)

Game Three - After losing both games, the selectors pick 'the side that will beat Queensland for the next five years'. The players who should've been picked in game one finally make it to game three and we actually win/compete. Then, the next year, these players are dropped and the cycle continues.