What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne puts loyalty before cash

JTB

Juniors
Hayne puts loyalty before cash

Article from:
By David Riccio
December 09, 2007 12:00am

JARRYD Hayne is poised to ignore a $2million windfall to stay loyal to Parramatta, the club that gave him his start.
The teenage sensation has given the clearest indication yet that he will re-sign with the Eels.
Hayne is among the hottest talents on the market and is on the Rabbitohs' hit list courtesy of a five-year deal estimated at $400,000 a season.
But Hayne, whose Parramatta deal expires at the end of next year, said he won't be swayed by big numbers.
"Hopefully we can finalise something as soon as possible with Parramatta,'' Hayne said. ``I want to stay at Parra. It's where I was born and bred and where I've gained my start. I really don't see myself leaving.
"I see myself as just a kid still growing ... so there's no point chasing coin and the massive deals.
Right now, there's no reason to leave or go chasing money here or in England.
"I don't need the money. I'm happy where I am financially at now.''
However, the emerging superstar is at the centre of a major bidding war.
It's understood Hayne and his manager Wayne Beavis will meet with Eels officials this week.
But Russell Crowe's cashed-up Rabbitohs have made no secret of their desire to lure Hayne to the club where his father Manoa Thompson played.
The NSW and Australia outside back is seen as a potential marquee player at Redfern, but Thompson's allegiances to the Rabbits will have little influence on Hayne.
"That won't even come into it. I'm my own man. I've got to look after No1,'' Hayne said.
He is also in the sights of the Bulldogs and the Sharks.
"The only thing that would make me want to move was if I didn't find it a challenge at the club ... and I still find it a challenge here at Parra.
"With Nathan Hindmarsh and Nath Cayless, they're going to be legends for both Australia and New Zealand, so there's no worry from my end as far as talent and experience goes at the club.
"I've got a lot of good mates and a lot of friendships there. Where we're at now we can really give the NRL (premiership) a real shake.''
Hayne added that the prospect of switching to centre, following the departure to rugby union of Timana Tahu, offered further appeal, stating: "There's an opportunity to nail down that spot for a few years at Parramatta.''
The only downside to Hayne's likely decision to stick with the Eels would be the effect on close friend and team-mate Krisnan Inu.
Inu, also off contract at the end of next year, is still a major priority for the Eels but fitting them both under the salary cap could prove difficult.
After a breakout year, Inu, now a New Zealand international, is also in the sights of several clubs.
"I know it's tough for the club ... there's a few guys off contract, including Krisnan,'' Hayne said.
"It would be a good challenge (playing against him) ... especially if we came up against each other in the centres.''
http://www.news.com.au/dailytelegraph/story/0,22049,22892521-5006066,00.html

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

For someone so young to be saying that is so rare. He wants to be Loyal in a game that has lost it's Loyalty, That's a very admirable trait. Most guys like Mason,Thurston just went and chased the Money. Jarryd can become a real legend at Parra if he's not already.

I have no inside info but I have a feeling that INU will stay for the same reasons as Jarryd has just said. But it will mean Bye Bye to Lowrie,Ben Smith Finch, Wagon and Robinson. With some of the talent coming through those player that I just mentioned are Cap wasters.

bartman

Immortal
Nice one Jarryd, Jarryd's mum, Jarryd's manager, and the club :clap:

And cheers for the tip off Eela ;-)

Now let's get the next one tied up in the next few weeks as well so we can concentrate on the season ahead.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Great news!!! now for INU!! It's good to see the almighty dollar doesn't rule everything these days.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I'm confident that Krisnan will follow Hayne to the contract table...I can't see him going any where although funnier things have happened.

strider

Post Whore
jarryd really does listen to his mum eh! I could imagine her telling him all that stuff he just said :lol: :lol: - good on him!!! .... i've always thought that Inu would be the definite one to stay - i bet i'll end up wrong :? :lol:

Gronk

Staff member
All positive news, but after Tahu telling fibs about going to the darkside and of course the whole Judas-I'm-coming-back-to-play-with-my-mates fiasco, I wont rest easy until the ink is on both Hayne & INU's contracts.

murraymob

Coach
if he is getting $400 thousands a season .I dont see how there is loyality .Love how there is a spin to a player signing a huge contract. Yes it is great that he re-signs.Perhaps with his loyality now there he will pay for the statue to ray price at the ground :lol::lol:

Avenger

Immortal
Like I said in the Souths forum, Jarryd never liked rabbits.

94b50b2a9cd07bb32680e9752942401a.jpg

Stagger eel

Staff member
murraymob said:
if he is getting $400 thousands a season .I dont see how there is loyality .Love how there is a spin to a player signing a huge contract. Yes it is great that he re-signs.Perhaps with his loyality now there he will pay for the statue to ray price at the ground :lol::lol:

I'd say he wouldn't be getting any more than 350 with us and if that's the case he's knocking back a reported 150K per season for 5 years at Souffs...

if that's not loyalty, I'll eat my hat..

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
go you good thing

hard to see Inu not signing now

for once we can actually see the benefit of producing our own juniors

murraymob

Coach
eelavation said:
I'd say he wouldn't be getting any more than 350 with us and if that's the case he's knocking back a reported 150K per season for 5 years at Souffs...

if that's not loyalty, I'll eat my hat..

If he was knocking back $!50 thousand a season .But not likely.No doubt the offers asre in the same region.it may be the lenght of the contract that decides where he signs

No Surprises there, I tipped to him to re-sign, Good Luck to Him. we will just chase after Gids, and hopefully we will see him in the red and green in 09.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
he was reportedly offered $2 mill over 5 years

that means he knocked back $50 mill a year where I went to school