What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne puts loyalty before cash

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
Where did we ot Jarryd say that he never wanted to go to Souths Gale?

Parra offered him $300 000 a year, we should be able to offer the same amount, probably a bit under to Inu.

We shall see in a month how it all pans out I rekon.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Galeforce said:
good luck to parra , i have always stated that Haynes would be a top buy for souths as i rated him immensely and saw him as the best fullback option . I always knew that Souths would have to offer more money for Hayne to join , the question was always how much of a gap would he be willing to accept to stay with Eels.

I'd like to ask you how much is Asotasi's contract worth and what was the difference with what Canterbury offered, I can tell you that Widders is getting sh*t loads more at your joint than he was getting at ours and he even expressed dissapointment in not staying, he told me the money was just too good here at Souths.

you know the kid genuinely wanted to stay and when you have a shrewd operator like Beavis by your side things will always take time...infact he hasn't even signed the contract so I guess your only hope is that Jarryd does an about face and suddenly dishonours his word and if that is the case [and I doubt it] than you more than welcome to him, he obviously belongs in your colours.

spiderdan

Bench
great to read someting like that. i am pretty sure that what we are offering is no-where near what souths offered but will still make most of our annual incomes look pov.

from memory i read somewhere that jarryd was after a two year deal with the club. if so, may be in part to not wanting to commit to anyone without knowing what the coaching structure will be long term.

i get the idea that our players like having hagan there as was in eveidence with how many decided to stay after speaking with hagan before he even got to the club.

hopefully the mail is right and jarryd is staying. we have the core of a great side over the next couple of years with cayless, hindy, piggy, smith, mateo, grothe, hayne and fui. hopefully the club can soon tie up the two kris' for the future and i will be a happy fan. more so.

Galeforce

Bench
no surprise to anyone that Souths have had to pay overs in the past in order to compete as the club was seen a career limiting due to issues and lack of success that the club had.
So yes we paid overs to get Vagana, widders, Kidwell and Asotasi to join to together to create a nucleus for future years.

These folks support keeping our good young ones and also support pulling young players of the future joining our ranks ala Luke . this will continue. However at this time a gap still exists in the outside backs/fullback , so one class player needed . Ala Hayne. A Hayne type , will always cost more to lure away from a club , this is called investment. Hayne was seen as a good investment for Souths. Now they will have to look elsewhere for that special player .

you guys tried to close a gap with Tahu in the past and i am sure he cost more than what he was getting at the knights. Even though you had all those young players in your ranks coming through the system. Souths are trying to do the same thing. Point is we do not need a lot of new players now , we need one "special" back.

have not heard souths mentioned with Inu, however if Hayne door closed , then Inu door may be next. dunno know , however i am not as sure on Inu as i was on Hayne.

Stagger eel

Staff member
Galeforce said:
have not heard souths mentioned with Inu, however if Hayne door closed , then Inu door may be next. dunno know , however i am not as sure on Inu as i was on Hayne.

I wouldn't get too cocky with INU either, the dogs are barking that he's about to follow Hayne at the contract table at parramatta headquarters..

spiderdan

Bench
Galeforce said:
you guys tried to close a gap with Tahu in the past and i am sure he cost more than what he was getting at the knights. Even though you had all those young players in your ranks coming through the system. Souths are trying to do the same thing. Point is we do not need a lot of new players now , we need one "special" back.
not quite the same. before brian lured tahu over, lyon and tonga walked away. tahu wouldn't have come into the picture if those two didn't have their personal reasons for leaving.

you guys should've done what you could from keeping wade coming home for a few years even though craig coleman nearly ruined him as a player. i don't like the bloke but he is a class fullback. probably the best investment the warriors have made in a while.

Stagger eel

Staff member
spiderdan said:
not quite the same. before brian lured tahu over, lyon and tonga walked away. tahu wouldn't have come into the picture if those two didn't have their personal reasons for leaving.

you guys should've done what you could from keeping wade coming home for a few years even though craig coleman nearly ruined him as a player. i don't like the bloke but he is a class fullback. probably the best investment the warriors have made in a while.

Dave Vaeliki also left the club, 3 firstgrade centres replaced by 1 firstgrade winger come centre.

it was a gamble but thankfully it paid off due the success of 2005.

Fathead

Bench
Whilst I applaud Hayne for staying I am hoping that we arnt paying too much for the backs and bugger all for the forwards and Halves.
Its not going to make much difference if we have world class backs and the forwards and halves are rubbish.
I dearly hope that we invest in KK in the future and we do need another world class forward !!

Pazza

First Grade
Souths are still; the same deadsh*ts they where 5 years ago! still paying massive overs for players, only now they got 2 wankers as owners of the club.

WA Eel

Juniors
Great new if he does stay - particularly as it seems he's now likely to be playing as a centre. I think he'll be a great replacement for Tahu and it also means there's now nolonger a Hayne vs Burty issue.

However, I agree with Pete that we should wait for pen to paper before celebrating.

Strangenuts

Juniors
It is a positive news story for a change rather than all the talk that creates doubt and fear that we may loose our stars that we have developed. I'm not jumping for joy till his signed but it has made me feel a lot better! If he does stay it makes me feel good about supporting the mighty Eels, that a player we developed would opt for less money to be loyal to the club. (if loyalty is what it actually is) It sets a Good example (Hindy being the best) and I hope more players take up the trend. When big dollars are waved it is understandable they go to the money, it would be very nice if clubs could be somehow be helped to retain juniors and long serving players. Hope Inu follows suit.

The Colonel

Immortal
Galeforce said:
This just means that Parra have closed the gap immensely. the public talk is that he putting parra above money, yes you folks can fall for that one.

If true why did he not sign mid year when parra annnounced that they want to sign him up before season ended. If he did not want to ever sign with Souths , why did he not state that mid year.

Simple , he was negotiating more money from Parra.The reason he has a manager is the same reason.

So if has signed he should be taking a good load with him .His comment re Inu indicates that i.e. to me it means there aint much money left for Inu , unless of course Inu really does not care about the money.

22186089.jpg

Freak2

Juniors
eelavation said:
Dave Vaeliki also left the club, 3 firstgrade centres replaced by 1 firstgrade winger come centre.

it was a gamble but thankfully it paid off due the success of 2005.

In hindsight I see the Tahu contract as the best buy Parra has completed in 20 years.

Look at the nuturing he has done with both Inu and Hayne.

IMO Tahu was the best centre this club has seen since The Crow!

Stagger eel

Staff member
Freak2 said:
In hindsight I see the Tahu contract as the best buy Parra has completed in 20 years.

Look at the nuturing he has done with both Inu and Hayne.

IMO Tahu was the best centre this club has seen since The Crow!

I'm not sure whether he was the best centre but definitely the most influential....definitely one of the best buys no doubt about it.

eelavation said:
I'd like to ask you how much is Asotasi's contract worth and what was the difference with what Canterbury offered, I can tell you that Widders is getting sh*t loads more at your joint than he was getting at ours and he even expressed dissapointment in not staying, he told me the money was just too good here at Souths.

you know the kid genuinely wanted to stay and when you have a shrewd operator like Beavis by your side things will always take time...infact he hasn't even signed the contract so I guess your only hope is that Jarryd does an about face and suddenly dishonours his word and if that is the case [and I doubt it] than you more than welcome to him, he obviously belongs in your colours.

Asotasi is on 450k and worth every cent of it. Bulldogs didn't even make him an offer in the end because they made the decision to keep guys like Mason and SBW and at the end of the day, you can't keep them all! Widders is probably on more tha he was at Parra, but he is worth the cash as well.

If Hayne wants to make a monetary sacrifice to stay with his mates, then good luck to him. I don't see how you guys can put sh!t on my club for making him an offer though? He was on the market and looking for offers so we made one. Obviously his manager wanted to test his worth and probably didn't like the first offers made by Parra. So what! I don't think anyone has operated in a bad way here! Its all been open and honest and the system dictates that Parra have the last offer on his contract anyway so you were always going to get the final shot at him. He is happy where he is so that says a lot about your club. That you can breed and keep Australian Reps is a great statement about the health of the club and I only hope that Souths can get to tha level soon as well. We have some talent coming through and still some $$ to spend so we will be fine. There is plenty of talent on the market so I am confident that we will fill whatever perceived gap in talent we have. Anyways, hope we will both be top 4 next year. I'll look forward to giving you guys heaps in the crowd at the Semi's.

dazeely

First Grade
Imo Inu comes accross as being a more loyal type person and therefore I hold some hope of keeping him. I'm not having a dig at Hayne either btw. Anyway fingers are still crossed.