What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne puts loyalty before cash

Stagger eel

Staff member
Different kind of Rabbit said:
Asotasi is on 450k and worth every cent of it. Bulldogs didn't even make him an offer in the end because they made the decision to keep guys like Mason and SBW and at the end of the day, you can't keep them all! Widders is probably on more tha he was at Parra, but he is worth the cash as well.

If Hayne wants to make a monetary sacrifice to stay with his mates, then good luck to him. I don't see how you guys can put sh!t on my club for making him an offer though? He was on the market and looking for offers so we made one. Obviously his manager wanted to test his worth and probably didn't like the first offers made by Parra. So what! I don't think anyone has operated in a bad way here! Its all been open and honest and the system dictates that Parra have the last offer on his contract anyway so you were always going to get the final shot at him. He is happy where he is so that says a lot about your club. That you can breed and keep Australian Reps is a great statement about the health of the club and I only hope that Souths can get to tha level soon as well. We have some talent coming through and still some $$ to spend so we will be fine. There is plenty of talent on the market so I am confident that we will fill whatever perceived gap in talent we have. Anyways, hope we will both be top 4 next year. I'll look forward to giving you guys heaps in the crowd at the Semi's.

thanks for the sensible post ;-)

My info is that Asotasi is closer to 500 than 450 but we'll agree to disagree there, in terms of putting sh*t on your club, or we're doing is returning fire from dipsticks like Dave Q and Zetland whi became incensed and obseesed with bagging off people on this forum, people that they don't even know I will always stand up and fight for my brothers and sisters in here who make this place an ejoyable, pleasent and constructive place to visit.

thanks again for the sensible post and Merry Christmas to you and your family.

Haynzy

First Grade
Thanks Diff Kind of Rab,

Nice to have someone coming in and being honest and realistic.
I don't think either club have done anything wrong and I agree that it does say alot about our club that he seems to have decided to stay.

it's a pity that other souths fans aren't as sensible as you but rather come in and put crap on Parra and say that we must be offering just as much as souths for Hayne to stay.

methinks it may be a disease caught from the coach (who I do like), something to do with grapes that don't taste so good ;-)

There is no point in getting worked up over player movements. At the end of the day, we are in the market and its a big market. We didn't get option A but I'm sure we will have an option B through Z and we will score one of them. This is the reality of Football nowadays. You can develop all the talent you want but whenever their contracts come up for renewal you are going to have a fight on your hands. We will have similar problems in the future with guys like Talanoa and Paea. Unfortunately Rugby League clubs are becoming like Airport lounges. Teams rarely look the same one year to the next.

I agree that some of my Rabbitoh brothers may have got a little carried away, but confrontation makes forums more interesting I guess. Now that this whole Hayne thing has been settled, hopefully they will all just go back to hating the Roosters, (who really do deserve the hatred). Hope you guys all have a Merry Christmas and as I mentioned before, I hope we meet in the Semi's next year.

Stagger eel

Staff member
There is no point in getting worked up over player movements. At the end of the day, we are in the market and its a big market. We didn't get option A but I'm sure we will have an option B through Z and we will score one of them. This is the reality of Football nowadays. You can develop all the talent you want but whenever their contracts come up for renewal you are going to have a fight on your hands. We will have similar problems in the future with guys like Talanoa and Paea. Unfortunately Rugby League clubs are becoming like Airport lounges. Teams rarely look the same one year to the next.

I agree that some of my Rabbitoh brothers may have got a little carried away, but confrontation makes forums more interesting I guess. Now that this whole Hayne thing has been settled, hopefully they will all just go back to hating the Roosters, (who really do deserve the hatred). Hope you guys all have a Merry Christmas and as I mentioned before, I hope we meet in the Semi's next year.

well, that's the nature of the beast now isn't it? I guess one good thing about new NYC comp is that whether you like it or not, there is now that emphasis in internal development of the player.

at the end of the Day Hayne's not exactly signed yet and we've been burnt before so until he actually puts pen to paper we won't be resting easy with that one, although I would say that the Telegraph story has definitely shortened the odds at our favour.

eelavation said:
well, that's the nature of the beast now isn't it? I guess one good thing about new NYC comp is that whether you like it or not, there is now that emphasis in internal development of the player.

at the end of the Day Hayne's not exactly signed yet and we've been burnt before so until he actually puts pen to paper we won't be resting easy with that one, although I would say that the Telegraph story has definitely shortened the odds at our favour.

Really, the only thing we could do is throw more money at him. TBH I really hope we don't. You want guys to come to your team because they want a challenge or they want to play with a certain other player or they like the team itself. You want money to be priority 2 or 3. If they come just for the cash then you end up with a team like the Roosters that do things like tank half a season because they don't like the coach. I don't want my team to get back to the point where they had to pay massive overs to lure players. Its not beneficial to anyone really. 50k to make a change of team's is a fair amount as you have to subsidise a player moving out of his comfort zone, but if you have to throw 100k or more at someone then it becomes a joke.

Freak2

Juniors
DKOR - You have given me faith again that some Bunnies do actually know Rugby League!

I actually thought when you signed Wing your chances diminshed a lot picking up Hayne and at the time I was cheering.
A) You spent some cap on Wing
B) The Roosters were losing their best player!!

I'm sure with another good season and you getting the result with the close games that in the past 2 years you have not got your team will be there when it counts once again.

Hopefully the demise of the Bulldogs and the Broncos sees a small changing of the HEAVYWEIGHT GUARDS!!

JOB 3:14

Juniors
Gronk said:
All positive news, but after Tahu telling fibs about going to the darkside and of course the whole Judas-I'm-coming-back-to-play-with-my-mates fiasco, I wont rest easy until the ink is on both Hayne & INU's contracts.

Well said Gronk. I have to agree with you there. But I have a good feeling about this one. I think he may actually sign, despite what Judas and Tahu have done in the past, but lets not put all our eggs in one basket just yet. I know i sound pessimistic but i have reason to after the way certain players in the past have conducted themselves. :cool:

Freak2 said:
DKOR - You have given me faith again that some Bunnies do actually know Rugby League!

I actually thought when you signed Wing your chances diminshed a lot picking up Hayne and at the time I was cheering.
A) You spent some cap on Wing
B) The Roosters were losing their best player!!

I'm sure with another good season and you getting the result with the close games that in the past 2 years you have not got your team will be there when it counts once again.

Hopefully the demise of the Bulldogs and the Broncos sees a small changing of the HEAVYWEIGHT GUARDS!!

I must say that after the Wing purchase, I was starting to wonder if we weren't using the Roosters accountant as well? When you sit down and think about it though, we have some reasonable money players coming off contract next year (Vagana, Hegarty) which would have provided the majority of what we needed to pay someone like Hayne. Once you get to that point you only need one or two others to opt out of their contracts (i.e. Cusack) and you have the money.

I'm confident in a few things about Souths.

1) We lost a lot of close games mid way through last year because we didn't know how to grind out a win

2) We learnt a lot about that at the back end of the year and that helped us to make the finals in the end. The addition of Wing will help us in this area as well.

3) Last year we made a 100% improvement on 2006 and made the 8. We've turned around all the key stats that were cruelling us in previous years but that has been at the expense of our attack. If we can make a small improvement in that area and maintain our excellent defence, we will be in the 8 again this year.

I can't agree with you on the Bronco's though. I think with Lockyer back and the addition of Wallace and PJ Marsh, they will be up there again. Sure they lost Petero, but someone will step up and take his place. I think Ennis will have an improved year this year as well. He spent most of last year out of position.

The Dogs are stuffed for 08, but they will be back in 2009.

The Roosters have a great forward pack, but if Pearce doesn't step up they will be stuffed. Anasta is a lock playing five eight and while he has some good games, he is no Brad Fittler. He can't lead a side to a premiership on his own.

I really think you guys turned a corner last year and the change of coach has done wonders. I know some of you probably liked him, but from an unbiased perspective, Smith was holding you back. The only problem you have is a lack of forward depth which was evidenced last year. If your front rowers stay fit all year, I think you will give it a real shake. Only problem you have is that the Storm will only get better next year. Its going to take a hell of an effort to knock them off.

Suitman

Post Whore
I must say that after the Wing purchase, I was starting to wonder if we weren't using the Roosters accountant as well? When you sit down and think about it though, we have some reasonable money players coming off contract next year (Vagana, Hegarty) which would have provided the majority of what we needed to pay someone like Hayne. Once you get to that point you only need one or two others to opt out of their contracts (i.e. Cusack) and you have the money.

I'm confident in a few things about Souths.

1) We lost a lot of close games mid way through last year because we didn't know how to grind out a win

2) We learnt a lot about that at the back end of the year and that helped us to make the finals in the end. The addition of Wing will help us in this area as well.

3) Last year we made a 100% improvement on 2006 and made the 8. We've turned around all the key stats that were cruelling us in previous years but that has been at the expense of our attack. If we can make a small improvement in that area and maintain our excellent defence, we will be in the 8 again this year.

I can't agree with you on the Bronco's though. I think with Lockyer back and the addition of Wallace and PJ Marsh, they will be up there again. Sure they lost Petero, but someone will step up and take his place. I think Ennis will have an improved year this year as well. He spent most of last year out of position.

The Dogs are stuffed for 08, but they will be back in 2009.

The Roosters have a great forward pack, but if Pearce doesn't step up they will be stuffed. Anasta is a lock playing five eight and while he has some good games, he is no Brad Fittler. He can't lead a side to a premiership on his own.

I really think you guys turned a corner last year and the change of coach has done wonders. I know some of you probably liked him, but from an unbiased perspective, Smith was holding you back. The only problem you have is a lack of forward depth which was evidenced last year. If your front rowers stay fit all year, I think you will give it a real shake. Only problem you have is that the Storm will only get better next year. Its going to take a hell of an effort to knock them off.

You certainly are a Different kind of Rabbit.

:thumb

Suity

Pazza

First Grade
now lets just hope Inu Re-signs, Inu to me doesn't seem like a money hungry type of guy. a real bible basher that hopefully puts a higher emphasis on loyalty, family, friends and ethics rather than the mighty dollar!

parra pete

Referee
Pazza said:
now lets just hope Inu Re-signs, Inu to me doesn't seem like a money hungry type of guy. a real bible basher that hopefully puts a higher emphasis on loyalty, family, friends and ethics rather than the mighty dollar!

You hope!!

JTB

Juniors
http://www.foxsports.com.au/story/0,8659,22900013-23214,00.html

Rabbitohs forget Hayne

December 10, 2007

SOUTH Sydney have withdrawn from the race to sign Test winger Jarryd Hayne from 2009.

The Rabbitohs released a statement saying they had begun looking elsewhere after it was reported Hayne was prepared to stay at Parramatta for less than his market value.

"We have decided to move in another direction after it became clear to us that Jarryd is likely to remain at Parramatta," Souths director of football Shane Richardson said.

"It's great to see a player remain loyal to a club and we wish Jarryd the best for his future at the Eels.

"We have a number of players within our ranks that we want to retain and that will be one of our priorities as we build up to the beginning of 2008, our Centenary season."

Souths had made no secret of the fact they were chasing the 19-year-old, whose father Manoa Thompson played for the Rabbitohs.

Reports had suggested the club was preparing a $2 million deal over five years.

But Hayne said he was hoping to “finalise something as soon as possible with Parramatta”.

"I want to stay at Parra. It's where I was born and bred and where I've gained my start. I really don't see myself leaving,” Hayne said.

"Right now, there's no reason to leave or go chasing money here or in England."

Stagger eel

Staff member
Twizzle said:
I just wonder if they were ever in the race

good question...I recieved some juicy info that Cronulla pulled out of the race to sign Mason 2 weeks before he signed with the chooks...