What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne set to be axed

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
seems fair enough, although there really was no curfew there may be a code of conduct that we are not aware of

The Colonel

Immortal
Boys will be boys after all hey Gronk......

The thing is if the players, and not just our own, don't give the Telecrap a story there is nothing to write.

Seems our players don't learn unless action is taken, talking doesn't seem to help.

strider

Post Whore
thedux said:
I actually think its a very appropriate action. The guy was involved in an incident with Gasnier, who then left. Our players decide to be heroes and confront the guy at McDonalds later in the night when it had nothing to do with them and get involved in a scuffle. It was 4am on a monday for ffs and what if the guy had the gun with him then instead of later.
They put themselves in an unnecessary situation cause they were full of booze and should know better by now, especially Hayne. They obviously don't think much of the fans or the club if they think they can act in public however they damn well please. They are public figures and like it or not, they need to be aware of that 24/7.
I don't think you have the events right there ... hell i don't know myself .... but i think latest reports suggest the only "incident" was at maccas with gaz to which hayne did the right thing to help a mate (the other 2 were off somewhere else) - and even the media is only describing it as an "altercation" which I assume means yelling and maybe a shove - anything more and i'm sure they'd call it a "brawl"

but I can understand that ppl don't keep track of where the latest reports end up - cos as I have always said, the media goes to town with a whole lot of crap upfront simply for their own egos to get some story out there first and then when the real facts filter through there's no apology for getting it wrong, infact hardly any correction, just different wording as a side part to some other sensationalised story that takes tehir fancy at the time

spiderdan

Bench
not happy.

can't understand how you can punish someone for breaking rules that haven't been put in place yet. i can understand hagan isn't happy. ditto for many fans but as far as i know, before last weekend there were no rules put in action about a player curfew, drinking on nights off or being shot at.

if our guys went back and got into trouble after gasnier had left they're f'wits for doing it but like a few others have written before, no gun shot, no story, no-one cares.

if the club want to put rules in place to try stop what happened on the weekend then fine. do it. but punish the players if they break guidelines when the guidelines have been set. not because the club has gone into crisis mode.

Gronk

Staff member
The Colonel said:
Boys will be boys after all hey Gronk......

The thing is if the players, and not just our own, don't give the Telecrap a story there is nothing to write.

Seems our players don't learn unless action is taken, talking doesn't seem to help.

No I never said that Colonel, remember ? :roll:

The problem seems to me to be the bad press the News Ltd spews out given any trivial matter it can find and blowing it way out of proportion. You guys seem to want to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

You can blame the players and their late night antics (as editorialised by News Ltd anyway) or deal with the real issue and that it is the media draging the game down by irresponsible reporting.

Again, my view is that the occasional push and shove at a pub is hardly news worthy and certainly not to the extent that the Telecrap carry on.

Why are the players deemed by the NRL to be accountable to anything any everything however minor, yet the NRL's major partner untouchable ? Who is really bringing the game into disrepute here ?

hindmarsh4pm

Juniors
Spewing, big blow for round 1. Could hurt our chances. Etu to the wing reddy to the centres? or wagon straight to the centres?

I would not have suspended them but i don't think they would be right Mentally for the 1st round anyway.

Huaraki would be spewing, he's given Lowrie the head start for the year now. Same goes for Paulo. Oh well, This should teach them.

strider

Post Whore
Question:

What do you reckon would have happened IF our guys had been spotted in the Cross at 4am a bit drunk, but there had been no shooting?

Would our club have taken any action against any players JUST because they were in the Cross at 4am?

I don't think so .... they are being reactionary .... I'm a bit on the fence about whether a ban is right or wrong??? it would at least help stop it from happening again - but I don't like the fact it is all due to a media frenzy

The Colonel

Immortal
Gronk said:
No I never said that Colonel, remember ? :roll:

You've inferred it enough...... might as well say it.

The problem seems to me to be the bad press the News Ltd spews out given any trivial matter it can find and blowing it way out of proportion. You guys seem to want to treat the symptom rather than the cause.

You can blame the players and their late night antics (as editorialised by News Ltd anyway) or deal with the real issue and that it is the media draging the game down by irresponsible reporting.

Again, my view is that the occasional push and shove at a pub is hardly news worthy and certainly not to the extent that the Telecrap carry on.

Why are the players deemed by the NRL to be accountable to anything any everything however minor, yet the NRL's major partner untouchable ? Who is really bringing the game into disrepute here ?

Blaming the messenger is one thing, and yes it doesn't look good when the codes major backer brings up minor incidents. Personally I don't see being shot at as minor as a lot on here seem to do though. It goes back to the fact that if the players gave them nothing there would be nothing.... minor or not.

News Ltd may need to be brought into line, or their publishers and journalists at least but no less than many of our own players.

spiderdan said:
if the club want to put rules in place to try stop what happened on the weekend then fine. do it. but punish the players if they break guidelines when the guidelines have been set. not because the club has gone into crisis mode.

The club hasn't acted in response to repeated infringements in the past. Our own CEO even professed to the AGM our players don't drink. It is about time they learnt their responsibilities.

Sure they have effected our chances in Round 1 but it remains to be seen how acting tough now helps our chances for the rest of the year.

Seriously, it makes me wonder when some of our own fans blow up about the fact that a player won't sign a piece of merchandise for them or has been rude to them in a social situation but the minute they are in trouble and it hits the papers everything is sensationalised and the papers fault.....

strider

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
The club hasn't acted in response to repeated infringements in the past. Our own CEO even professed to the AGM our players don't drink. It is about time they learnt their responsibilities.
all that says is that our CEO is a deluded fool :lol:

Gronk

Staff member
The Colonel said:
You've inferred it enough...... might as well say it.
Let's not take quotes out of context Colonel. What I said was this.
They were on a break from footy until Wednesday and had a night on the turps. Apparently doing that when you're 19 years old is not allowed these days.
I never said that it was OK to get in fights or anything else. Loud and clear ? ;-)

Parra

Referee
This is all becoming a joke.

Hayne comes to the aid of a teammate, leaves the area, gets shot at, notifies the police and now he is coping a suspension.

If he didn't do the right thing and call the police would any of this even be an issue?

Gronk

Staff member
EELMAN JACK said:
my sentiments exactly. surely a reprimand and warning would be enough.

Or take a leaf out of St George's book. Fined Gaz for an undisclosed amount :lol:.

Clearly just designed to put a swift end to the club being slandered by News Ltd, who are acting as judge and jury on this one, rather than actually punishing the player.

strider

Post Whore
parra-matters said:
I'm expecting some new evidence on this one to clear all 3 players.
what? photos of them sleeping peacefully in their beds? :lol: :lol:

Binga

Juniors
http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,23326472-10389,00.html

The Eels today are expected to suspend Jarryd Hayne, Weller Hauraki and Junior Paulo from the round 1 NRL match against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium, Homebush.

It is believed the three players will also be fined for being involved in a series of incidents at Kings Cross early last Monday morning.

Parramatta chief executive Denis Fitzgerald and his senior staff, including coach Michael Hagan, met yesterday to discuss possible action.

Although yesterday's meeting decided on a recommendation, the action against Hayne, Hauraki and Paulo will not be ratified or announced until after another meeting today with the club's leadership group, headed by Nathan Hindmarsh and Nathan Cayless.

Banning all players from drinking in Kings Cross will also be discussed today.

Hagan said NRL players were all too aware they could be sacked from a club for misbehaviour and then simply sign with a new club.

"What I would say is that the deterrents in our game may not be great enough," Hagan said last night.

"If a player gets sacked from a club for whatever reason, some other club is going to pick him up tomorrow.

"The players know that and unless there are across-the-board sanctions put in place, they are going to continue to stuff up knowing that it is not going to impact on them too much.

"I'm not sure what the answer is and I don't know if anyone does."

Eels officials are fed up with Hayne, Hauraki and Paulo – who were also part of a group which broke a $2500 plasma screen at Easts Leagues Club in December.

Suspending the three players is a bold move for what will be a huge match against the Bulldogs on Saturday week.

Asked how he felt about his player's behaviour, Fitzgerald said: "It leaves a lot to be desired."

Parramatta will offer counselling to death threat victim Mark Riddell and will also offer the service to Hayne, Hauraki and Paulo, who were shot at in a drive-by incident in Kings Cross.

Riddell and Sydney Roosters forward Willie Mason received death threats a day later.

Police continue to search for the man who threatened them in a telephone call to the Daily Telegraph by saying "they're next".

At first i thought punishment was a bit harsh, but after reading this is not the first time these 3 players have got themselves into trouble the punishment is probably fair.

eel4life

Juniors
I am happy they did this, now they have to be consistant with it ...

Hagan has had a gutful of it

These guys are no better than you or me, they get paid to play a game, a game that we all love and they are playing for the best FOOTBALL TEAM IN THE WORLD !!!!!

Look at the young guy from the brumbies has a brain tumour his career looks to be over or god willing he can make a full recovery and do what he loves.

There are more important things in life than going to the cross to get on the drink and pick up and so forth, so yes i applaude the stance that hagan has done.

the guys are young, dumb and full of C#M .. as the saying goes, this is a pull your head in suspension for all 3 of them and its a good move, deal with it and move on.

This year is our year, last year we did well our players are better for the experience that they had last year, HINDMARSH AND CAYLESS want a premiership, but if they do not concentrate on the task at hand then this year will be another waste.

Hagan good on you for doing this, players pull your heads in concentrate on the footy.

Yeah they need to go out, yeah they need to blow of some steam, yeah they are under the microscope, yeah the papers are overdoing it, everything people are saying is correct ...

How many of you would trade places with anyone of them?

ALL of us would trade places with them ...

TO play for the mighty blue and gold is an HONOUR its not a right ... and on top of it all they get paid well to do so ... Id rather be training 5 times a week playing footy on the weekend, hanging out with a bunch of guys i have known for ages and play for a team i have loved since i first say KENNY STERLING PRICE CRONIN ELLA GROTHE snr and the rest of them .... Rather than waking up at 6:30 fighting traffic to drive in the city work hard worry about how high interest rates are going, worry about the issues i have in my own family, getting my backside kicked by my boss id my standars slip, then drive another 1.5 hours home to get ready and do the same thing ...

Latest posts