What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne set to be axed

The Colonel

Immortal
I know the team and the fans have been punished but doesn't this make the punishment sink in a little more? They know they have not only let down themselves via their actions but the club, the players and the supporter base.

It is disappointing however slapping them with a wet lettuce leaf hasn't woprked in the past and it may be a wake up call that not only the three players in question need, but the whole bloody squad do to.

Bazal

Post Whore
This is a disgrace if true. I don't care what anyone says, 20 year old kids will go out drinking. Dropping him on the basis that he was out drinking in his time off is a f**king disgrace, no two ways about it.

strider

Post Whore
Stagger eel said:
there is a players code of sonduct out there that I resently found out and that is if you get involved in a scuffle or heated exchange in public, then you go straight home.

Gaz did, however Hayne who interviened didn't....
then why are wellar and junior in trouble? .... i didn't think they were in the "altercation" ..... i assume they are all in trouble for just being there at all

FUIFUI_MOIMOI

Juniors
not excited about the start of the season anymore. This has done it for me ... so angry! fair enuff fine but dont drop them ... all the pre season etc.

dazeely

First Grade
tollgateadzy said:
The main question here is who has been punished ??? the answer is the team & more importantly the fans.
The punishment should fit the crime - the crime being that these guys have too much money and too much time on their hands for their age. They have no "life skills" outside of football which in my opinion is the reason for the numerous indiscesions.
The punishment does not fit the crime - the punishment should be monetary -10% of their contract and time - working in a sheltered workshop or the like to make them appreciate what an opportunity they have.
.:cool:

spot on. Punish them with a fine and community service, spend some time working like the norm do whether it be in / around the club. f**k don't punish the team but rather punish the players themselves.

The Colonel

Immortal
dazeely said:
spot on. Punish them with a fine and community service, spend some time working like the norm do whether it be in / around the club. f**k don't punish the team but rather punish the players themselves.

True but what sinks in more? Letting down yourself or letting down your team mates, club and the fans......

cirque

Juniors
I quite disappointed with these sort punishment. I am not sure whom EELS management wants to send the message to. These things has happened before and going to be. One match suspension does not affect anything. We paid good price for Hayne and we would like to see him in the match. What a load of cr(*&p decision it was...

Bigfella

Coach
What has been shown time and time again is that fines/ community service etc are a whitewash that has no impact.

Not only that - it encourages repeat offending.

We want to nip these blokes in the bud before this behaviour gets entrenched.

Even if it costs us a first round win, I reckon we get a lot more out of these blokes than we do if we let them become out of control egos.

To be honest, if Tim Smith had been dealt with more harshly early on he may not have got as far as he did.

Gronk

Staff member
Bigfella said:
We want to nip these blokes in the bud before this behavior gets entrenched.

FFS they just went out for a drink on their night off.

Bazal

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
What has been shown time and time again is that fines/ community service etc are a whitewash that has no impact.

Not only that - it encourages repeat offending.

We want to nip these blokes in the bud before this behaviour gets entrenched.

Even if it costs us a first round win, I reckon we get a lot more out of these blokes than we do if we let them become out of control egos.

To be honest, if Tim Smith had been dealt with more harshly early on he may not have got as far as he did.

Dear God....they went for a night out during their time off, hey lets drop them:roll: Terrible reaction by the club to an incident that would not have even made the news had a moron with a gun not been involved. But I guess these guys not only have to magically be more mature than other 20 year olds and stay home sipping tea all f**king night, they need to have the ability to predict these things too, right?

Bigfella

Coach
This is a disgrace if true. I don't care what anyone says, 20 year old kids will go out drinking. Dropping him on the basis that he was out drinking in his time off is a f**king disgrace, no two ways about it.

That is not the basis on which he has been stood down. You are misstating the facts:

DF has been quoted as saying the reason for action was:

1. They had an opportunity to walk away from an altercation and didn't
2. All 3 have been involved in alcohol-related misdemeanours previously

They were not stood down for drinking, for being at the Cross, or for being shot at!

Bazal

Post Whore
Bigfella said:
That is not the basis on which he has been stood down. You are misstating the facts:

DF has been quoted as saying the reason for action was:

1. They had an opportunity to walk away from an altercation and didn't
2. All 3 have been involved in alcohol-related misdemeanours previously

They were not stood down for drinking, for being at the Cross, or for being shot at!

So they've been stood down for defending a mate? Even f**king worse

The Colonel

Immortal
Bazal said:
So they've been stood down for defending a mate? Even f**king worse

You might need to read this...... and take a deep breath.

HAYNE, HAURAKI AND PAULO STOOD DOWN FOR ROUND ONE
Thursday 6 March 2008

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Parramatta Eels players Jarryd Hayne, Weller Hauraki and Junior Paulo have been stood down from Saturday week’s Telstra Premiership season opener against the Bulldogs at ANZ Stadium.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]They have also been fined $2,000 each for their involvement in an altercation that ended with their being the target of a gunman in Kings Cross early on Monday morning.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]The Eels playing group was informed of the decision earlier today following discussions between Parramatta CEO Denis Fitzgerald AM, head coach Michael Hagan, members of the team leadership group and senior team management.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“The Parramatta club has been left with no choice but to take firm action, which is why we have made the decision to stand down Jarryd Hayne, Weller Hauraki and Junior Paulo from round one,” Mr. Fitzgerald said. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Monday morning was the latest in a line of behavioral incidents featuring alcohol for the players involved and we hope that missing round one will send them and the rest of the playing group the strongest of messages.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“At the time of the altercation they had the opportunity to walk away and didn’t. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“It is high time we said enough is enough. [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“Their involvement in this incident has been highly damaging for the team, the club, our fans and sponsors, and most of all to the players personally.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“They have paid a high price and the timing of the standing down is unfortunate, coming in the opening round of the Centenary season.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]“However we just hope that missing such an historic occasion will help the message hit home.”[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Hayne, Hauraki and Paulo will be given trauma counseling and will also be offered alcohol counseling as part of the action taken against them.[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]All three will be considered for selection for the Eels round two game against the Warriors at Mt. Smart Stadium, Auckland, on Sunday 23 March.[/FONT]

http://www.parraeels.com.au/news/news1708.shtml

The Colonel

Immortal
Bazal said:
So standing up for a mate is an alcohol related behavioural incident? Bugger it, lock me up for life...

Sounds like a good idea.......

He may have stood up for a mate but he still put himself in a situation that he shouldn't have. Seems it isn't the first time and the Eels are trying to make a point to the players involved that it needs to be the last.

mickdo

Coach
Bigfella said:
2. Hayne and the other 2 blokes then later approaching the individual to renew the argument. At that point they were no longer "helping a mate" or acting in self defense. They were participating in an aggressive act that was inevitably going to escalate the violence. (This is by far the more serious of the two)
Source?

Bazal

Post Whore
The Colonel said:
Sounds like a good idea.......

:lol: Fair call...

He may have stood up for a mate but he still put himself in a situation that he shouldn't have. Seems it isn't the first time and the Eels are trying to make a point to the players involved that it needs to be the last.

I just wonder would the result be the same had he not been shot at and thus highly publicised. I highly doubt it. To be perfectly honest, Jarryd is a 20 year old kid. He will go out drinking. It's the nature of 20 year old kids (that aren't from fanatically religious families and don't have medical issues preventing them etc) and to expect any less is unrealistic. Just because he is a footy player doesn't change the fact...and to suspend him for intervening to probably prevent an altercation is a stupid overreaction IMO. If the aim is to prevent playersz going to the Cross, perhaps the better way would be to provide incentives for the players to drink at certain places?

Latest posts