What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne to 6...

True EEL

Bench
I know if it aint broke, don't fix it.....
but i wouldn't say everything is fixed just yet, just coming together

but i do actually think that DA was ahead of his time playing Hayne at 6 early last year, because he was amazing last night, too the game by the scruff of the neck by playing second receiver.....

so, the real question is, if Parra really want to win the comp should DA do this...?

6. Hayne
7. Robson

these two seem to have a great understanding together
Robson is the steadying influence who has been playing 7 the past two games anyway
they both kick the ball predominantly in the team
Hayne was a dead set freak playing essentially at 6 last night - he took over the game

not sure what role Mortimer would take on - an granted he played ok last night - but i'm sure he could be accomodated elsewhere, can he play fullback? Could Jono Wright (who finally had a dig) play fullback??

thoughts....??

ps. i was convinced of this move throughout the game......before Hayne caught the ball 10 m out from his own line, beat Jennings 3 times on the same blade of grass, beat 2-3 other nuffies and then went the length of the field after being cleared for take-off....that made me wonder do you shift him??

parra pete

Referee
Burt to 6..Hayne to 3. Reddy to 5, Humble to 1, Hindy to 9, Cayless to 13, Mateo to 11,...Mortimer to 4 I agree let's start changing it now :crazy:

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
why would you want to move if he plays so well at fullback ?

its obviously where he wants to be

fanaticeel

Juniors
FFS he's better at fullback. He can inject himself when needed and he's comfortable there. It took Lockyer years to became a great 6 but he was a better 1. All this talk of moving Hayne to 6 is a waste of time and..... can't be bothered typing more...it's Hayne Plane stupid.

strider

Post Whore
just leave it how it was last night ... he came up and played like a 6 in attack anyway - then let him rest at fullback in defence

I think we should stop expecting Hayne to play a traditional fullback role and just sit back and admire his ability and the skills he possesses.

Sure, he can probably support his players a little more like a traditional fullback should. But at the moment fullback provides him the opportunity to see the game unfold, see which players might tiring and the holes being created. Hayne is as opportunistc as he is skillful. Meaning he can grab an opportunity or create one from nothing.

When he see fit, Hayne injects himself into first receiver for Fui's try and second receiver for Wright's try. the result is a try, who cares what number is on his back? Then he follows it up with a magnificant solo effort any fullback would be salivating over.

leave him at 1.

True EEL

Bench
i wasn't suggesting i murder someone......it was a thought
and a thought i mentioned a few weeks ago too....

and if people can't realise or are too blind to realise that he actually played 5/8 last night then that is their problem....look its an option, make him a full-time 5/8

him playing that role won us the game last night, not him playing fullback and not even his blinding try from fullback....and like it or not he also has deficiencies in the fullback role - ie. not always being committed to go for a bomb and his positional play is bad at times

and its not about changing everything, its about putting him permanently where he can get the ball in his hands....funnily enough Joey Johns just asked the Footy Show panel is he a 5/8 the way he plays....????

Gronk

Staff member
Agree. Hayne to 6, Fui to 7, Poore to 5, Tahu to 9, Mortimer to 12, Hindy to 14.

Forty20

First Grade
Hindy is not a bench player. Play him at 9 or drop him to wenty imo.

If anyone needs a stint in Wenty it would have to be Hayne. A few weeks in NSW Cup would do his confidence a world of good.

Plus it will give Tim Mannah a chance to make the No. 1 his own.

stuke

Bench
half the problem players have when changing positions is the difference in defence.

do we want our best attacking option making 20 - 30 tackles a game?

True EEL

Bench
thanks for all of ur insightful opinions and suggestions

i'm a better person for having listened to all of ur collective wisdom and pleasent commentary

lingard

Coach
i wasn't suggesting i murder someone......it was a thought
and a thought i mentioned a few weeks ago too....

and if people can't realise or are too blind to realise that he actually played 5/8 last night then that is their problem....look its an option, make him a full-time 5/8

him playing that role won us the game last night, not him playing fullback and not even his blinding try from fullback....and like it or not he also has deficiencies in the fullback role - ie. not always being committed to go for a bomb and his positional play is bad at times

and its not about changing everything, its about putting him permanently where he can get the ball in his hands....funnily enough Joey Johns just asked the Footy Show panel is he a 5/8 the way he plays....????

Well, you`re right in a sense: Hayne does play like a five-eight. But he also plays like a fullback - witness his flawless catching of bombs last night, and of course 'that' try from fullback. Also his long kicks from fullback. The thing is that the fullback role over the years seems to have evolved. Once upon a time, fullbacks, wingers and centres were very similar; and often you`d have a fullback who played like a wing or centre and had had experience in both those positions. Now it seems that fullback and five-eight have more in common, so you get players like Hayne, Lockyer, Gidley, Carney, etc. I reckon leave Hayne where he is - where he plays a secondary five-eight role (and Billy Slater does this as well, by the way). I personally think putting Humble at five-eight would be a better option.

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think if we got the best fullback in the comp (by a mile) we ought to get him a halfway decent half to take a bit of pressure off him.

Honestly, all this nonsense about Hayne not being well-positioned in defence is a huuuge beat up. His defensive positioning is better than most, and if there's a 1 on 1 break I know which fullback I'd like to have making the final tackle.

Plus, bomb goes up with 2 to go, who do you want under it? I'll have the 6'2 100kg monster please - who can jump out of the gym and tends to make the big play when needed!