What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hayne

varion

Juniors
Hayne will be best served at Fullback (cant stomach paying 400k+ for a winger!) where at least he can chime in and get involved via kick returns.

Hayne is a great finisher, to play centre requires also being a good decision maker and robust defender - something he has not shown to be able to do consistently.

If anything it should be Inu centre and Hayne wing, Inu whilst he did miss the tackle on Hodges (many have failed before - hes very strong) doesnt seem to make the defensive decision making blunders Hayne makes.

Hayne reminds me of Gasnier - flashy but suspect in defense, always rushing out of the line at centre putting pressure on the surrounding players.

Avenger

Immortal
Hayne will be best served at Fullback (cant stomach paying 400k+ for a winger!) where at least he can chime in and get involved via kick returns.

Hayne is a great finisher, to play centre requires also being a good decision maker and robust defender - something he has not shown to be able to do consistently.

If anything it should be Inu centre and Hayne wing, Inu whilst he did miss the tackle on Hodges (many have failed before - hes very strong) doesnt seem to make the defensive decision making blunders Hayne makes.

Hayne reminds me of Gasnier - flashy but suspect in defense, always rushing out of the line at centre putting pressure on the surrounding players.

Have been meaning to write that for ages now. Well said.

bartman

Immortal
Yes i pointed him out, however i never started with the insults, read over it again. It was meant to be a constructive debate, so know i'm not hiding behind anything.

lol i don't pick on anyone, i'm sorry if it comes across like that but couldn't be further from the truth:lol:
Well if it's not your intention, maybe you should think a bit about how you put your words together... after all we're all in the together as Parra fans, and there are other better ways to have a discussion with a person about differing opinions.

Maybe because Inu is playing in position? i wonder if you will use that same line in the Eric Grothe thread in regards to Inu's performance;-)
I think Inu is playing out of position, so much as he is much more capable than Hayne at centre, fullback or wing, at least based on what each have shown this year.

And in terms of Eric, I've written that he needs to be shifted to centre, as I feel that might be his "safest" position in the top 17, and will go some way to restoring his confidence and reducing the easy kick over tries.

bartman

Immortal
Hayne will be best served at Fullback (cant stomach paying 400k+ for a winger!)
Just because we paid overs for a guy is is underperforming and whose attitude seems weak, doesn't mean we should shift him to a "more important" position.

Inu has shown in two games the attitude and effort that Hayne hasn't bothered putting in this season, and Jarryd needs to step up his game massively in the coming months to not be considered a very bad investment by the club.

Bazal

Post Whore
Wait...so now we should move a guy out of his best position purely because if the money he's on? Are people heavy crack users around here? By that argument we should shift Cayless to halfback ffs....you're clutching at straws now. The fact is that Hayne has played his best footy on the wing, and for the good of the team I think he needs to play there regardless of his bloody paypacket. Not to mention the fact that he's shown nothing to indicate he even cares about becoming a class centre

fish eel

Immortal
i think people forget how young hayne is.

he is still learning the game ffs and s a kid.

varion

Juniors
Wait...so now we should move a guy out of his best position purely because if the money he's on? Are people heavy crack users around here? By that argument we should shift Cayless to halfback ffs....you're clutching at straws now. The fact is that Hayne has played his best footy on the wing, and for the good of the team I think he needs to play there regardless of his bloody paypacket. Not to mention the fact that he's shown nothing to indicate he even cares about becoming a class centre

Since when has Hayne's best position at Centre?? Were talking about his centre play here not wing - if you havent noticed thats where he is playing this year.

Its his worst position IMO when comparing his past wing/fullback play and we are a laughing stock already - but to pay 400k+ to player to play on the wing is incredulous. Name another club in the world that has two 400k+ wingers? I'm talking about shifting him from centre to fullback another equally important position on the field - in fact some would argue the no 1 is more important.

Hayne was absolutely dynamic when he played fullback last year as it suited his playing strengths...i.e he is an evasive finisher who plays best with plenty of room to move. As I said - centre play requires robust defence and good reading of play something Hayne does not currently have consistently. Not to say he cant improve this side of things with practice but given the precarious position of the ladder we are in we need to be playing to our strengths and Inu would be better at centre and Hayne fullback right now and we need all the players to hit the ground running playing to their maximum current potential to win. If we were like Melbourne and could carry positional changes and still win it would be a different story.

Unfortunately if it turns out wing is Hayne's best position then i'm afraid we would of been better served using the money elsewhere as a winger no matter how good cant win you a comp due the limited touches a winger has on a game.

Trying to twist my suggestion to play Hayne - a backline utility playing another backline position i.e Fullback into using Cayless playing halfback is stretching things don't you think? Do you think we should be moulding a 400k resource playing Wing fulltime? or are you suggesting Hayne's best position is centre?? Look forward to the debate....

A good coach would at least experiment if something is not working rather than persisting with something that isn't. Who knows maybe if Hayne gets confidence at FB he could be better able to handle the rigours of centre. I personally think maybe Hayne needs another off season to train playing centre with a another set of trials as currently what he is dishing up is not up to scratch. I think part of it is he is frustrated trying to impress playing a position that is new to him - if we get him back into a comfortable position we may yet see the best of him in the short term.

My backline would be:-

1. Hayne
2. Reddy
3. Smith
3. Inu
5. Grothe/ Tautai / Burt (not fond of any of these but we have little choice right now - Burt may not be the best defender but at least he would read the play better than Grothe / Tautai)

bartman

Immortal
Bottom line - we are short of actual centres in the squad this year, and everyone will be playing a make shift/learning role when there (except Smith, who's missing through injury).

With Jarryd's talents, I think we (and coaching staff?) would have expected him to adjust to it a lot quicker then he has. It seems we're all in agreeance that he needs to shift, but just to which position.

Since we have a fullback that imo is going alright (and is no better on the wing), then to me it makes sense to shift Jarryd to the wing where he can make his contribution, and fit with better within the strengths of the team overall. He only got a shot at fullback through injury, and I'd move him there again were Burt to be injured, but not before.

I think Jarryd has to put his case for fullback on form shown this year (in other backline positions) rather than on reputation alone. In other words, if he pulls his finger out and plays to his potential, the he could virtually name his spot and be first or second picked in the backline.

At the moment, each week I'd pencil in Inu, Reddy, Burt (and Smith) all into the team before Jarryd, so he has to do with whatever position is spare (unfortunately centre at the moment)? I think it's worth trying Grothe at centre (since his form/confidence is down on the wing), which should allow us to shift Jarryd wide until his form/attitude improves and merits his new pricetag...

Gronk

Staff member
I'm not advocating for a position shift for Hayne. I just think that he hasn't been giving 100%. For a guy who has speed to burn, it's not good enough to see him cart the ball up at 25% pace or have no inclination to turn and chase if he gets beat on the outside.

Bad attitude.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I think we will see him back at his best if he's moved back to FB, i just sense that he's not happy there and this is making him frustrated and probably why he's not playing well.

Gronk

Staff member
Ok so if you put Hayne at fullback, you'll need to drop Burt because he will get owned at centre and is just way to short for a winger these days. So you'll end up with a backline like this

Hayne
Reddy
Inu
Smith
Tautai

Very ordinary on the edges if you ask me.

strider

Post Whore
Ok so if you put Hayne at fullback, you'll need to drop Burt because he will get owned at centre and is just way to short for a winger these days. So you'll end up with a backline like this

Hayne
Reddy
Inu
Smith
Tautai

agreed - burt should not play centre or wing .... if hayne goes to fullback, there isn't a spot for burt ..... I think Reddy goes ok on the wing - tautai seems better at centre - but i'd want Inu at centre .... of course if we get over hating Grothe he can still play wing with Ben

fish eel

Immortal
agreed - burt should not play centre or wing .... if hayne goes to fullback, there isn't a spot for burt ..... I think Reddy goes ok on the wing - tautai seems better at centre - but i'd want Inu at centre

Tautai's best game was in the centres IMO.

I'd be happy to see him picked there with Reddy on the wing.

On the wing, Reddy is safe under the high ball, is a good finisher and doesnt get caught out defensively like he does in the centres.

Ike E Bear

Juniors

Hayne
Reddy
Inu
Smith
Tautai

Hayne
Inu
Tautai
Smith
Reddy

That looks better to me.

I think Tautai has a lot to offer in the future and I think centre is his best position.

That said, I could also cope with ...

Hayne
Burt
Smith/Tautai
Inu
Reddy

With Inu and Reddy switching when the Eels are attacking in the opposition's 20m zone. That's a very simple thing to do.

I don't think Burt's size is a huge problem. There are other small wingers in the game and being a fullback, he should have safe hands, and other tall timber around him should help in terms of the cross kicks.

Similarly, I'd argue that Tautai has done enough in terms of showing his ability to run the ball hard out of his own 20m zone that he deserves Grothe's spot if nothing else (even though, I think he is a better centre).