What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hayne

jason taylor

Bench
Mullaney is still here next year.

We need to give him a shot and see how he goes in First Grade.

Too bad we can't fit him on the wing. I have a feeling Mullaney could go well.

Last edited:

ethan tremblay

Juniors
mullaney has too be given a shot he should of got the nod last week for the very reason burt wont be there when hayne plays rep ooooo i wish we kept humble

offside ref

Juniors
what about blair? i might be mistaken but i think he played there for the roosters under20s.

otherwise mullany burt as much as i love the bloke should never play fullback again.

Gronk

Staff member
I think that the fullback solution is more about who SK wants to keep in the side, rather than make FB. He'll want to accommodate Burt, Sio, Blair, Morgan & Tonga.

He won't drop any of those to bring in Mullaney. So my guess is that he will stick with Burt, simply because he can chime in and get involved in backline plays with very little coaching.

As much as his one on one defence does not exist, if the blokes up front do their jobs, then it won't be tested. Same goes for bombs, the players around him need to offer protection.

Not my choice, but that's how its going to pan out IMO.

Parra

Referee
We go OK with Burt at fullback. He organises the team well in defence and with the blokes we have Burt will have a lot of shouting to do. They will learn from having him back there.

oldmancraigy

Coach
We go OK with Burt at fullback. He organises the team well in defence and with the blokes we have Burt will have a lot of shouting to do. They will learn from having him back there.

It's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Go do some research on this topic and get back to me.
I can save you the hassle if you like (since I've done the research). Prior to this year, with Burt at fullback we conceeded 34 points per game ON AVERAGE. With Hayne it was under 19.
The only reason I don't include this years stats is because I haven't compiled them yet, and frankly I can't be bothered! It wouldn't change the overall picture very much (probably make Hayne's numbers go up to 20 and Burt's would be about the same.

And over the entire length of his career (which includes playing in some winning teams) we win only 37% of the time when Burt is at fullback. He's also been spared playing fullback for the main part under the Kearney regime (the losingest in club history).

As a comparison, Hayne has a 48% record of winning at fullback, which is all the more remarkable considering he has played a large number of games at the position under the Kearney regime (the losingest in club history).

If you can't be bothered reading it all, I'll sum up for you:
Hayne at fullback = better defence for the team. Burt at fullback = terrible idea (been shown time and again over the years - the bloke is a winger or nothing).

oldmancraigy

Coach
i wonder if he might shift sio back there again

He DID give Sio the nod in some early games this year when Hayne was out.

Basically the Warriors, Panthers and Cowboys games we had Sio playing fullback. He made 3 linebreaks and got very involved. Can't see how it isn't worth a shot again?

Here's hoping Hayne isn't hurt. He always seems to have a 9/10 game against Manly. If Sandow plays like he did last week that would give us a real chance of snagging a win!

hybrideel

Bench
Of course he does. If he is injured Burt is the bloke to go to.

The way you said the young guys will learn from having Burt back their led me to think that you meant Burt would teach them something they didn't get from Hayne, hence Hayne isn't doing something that he should

Parra

Referee
Nah, I just think that any experienced fullback would bring something new and these blokes would not have played with Burt back there, so he will bring something new. He does a lot of organising when he is back there

Parra

Referee
It's the biggest load of crap I've ever heard.

Go do some research on this topic and get back to me.
I can save you the hassle if you like (since I've done the research). Prior to this year, with Burt at fullback we conceeded 34 points per game ON AVERAGE. With Hayne it was under 19.
The only reason I don't include this years stats is because I haven't compiled them yet, and frankly I can't be bothered! It wouldn't change the overall picture very much (probably make Hayne's numbers go up to 20 and Burt's would be about the same.

And over the entire length of his career (which includes playing in some winning teams) we win only 37% of the time when Burt is at fullback. He's also been spared playing fullback for the main part under the Kearney regime (the losingest in club history).

As a comparison, Hayne has a 48% record of winning at fullback, which is all the more remarkable considering he has played a large number of games at the position under the Kearney regime (the losingest in club history).

If you can't be bothered reading it all, I'll sum up for you:
Hayne at fullback = better defence for the team. Burt at fullback = terrible idea (been shown time and again over the years - the bloke is a winger or nothing).

No argument from me, but sounds like Hayne is injured and wont be there this weekend.

Delboy

First Grade
Unfortunately, Burt is an OK winger, and a dud fullback which became fairly obvious last week.

At this stage, anyone but Burt.

Last week, weak tackle = first try, turnstile = try, dropped bomb = try. Not thr fiorst tim e he has been very shaky playing there

oldmancraigy

Coach
Nah, I just think that any experienced fullback would bring something new and these blokes would not have played with Burt back there, so he will bring something new. He does a lot of organising when he is back there

I see him shouting a lot too! But the cold hard evidence shows that either nobody listens to him (and never has) OR he's telling them the wrong things.

I'd rather go with Sio!

My gut feeling is that Tonga was always going to play anyway and Burt was out. Very rarely does Kearney put out a Tuesday team that actually runs out that way on the weekend.

I bleed blue & gold

First Grade
SK has to put Sio in or give Mullaney a run. Id say put Jake in fullback and bring up Mackenzie into fullback for Wenty. Let Mullaney show us what he's got.

bartman

Immortal
I'd be surprised if SK gave Mullaney a debut this week. If Hayne is out for more matches, then we might see Mullaney appear next week, but on short notice I don't reckon we'll see any changes.

Willie T was named on the bench knowing Hayne was playing in origin - there's even quotes from Kearney about that selection saying though he hoped Hayne didn't get injured he had to have a plan b.... I reckon SK will simply stick to the same backline as last week, and only think about further changes the week after (when either Hayne might be back or he can put more thought into who to debut in what position, as development for next year).