What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henjack sacked

GoTheBroncs

Staff member
Any news on why for the sacking. According to comments from Cullen last year Henjak's job was safe.

Also wtf did Gagai do? Haven't seen any news item about it. And will he be back in the top squad with Henjak now out of the picture? So I guess Henjak was the one who sacked him?

johns_reds

First Grade
Can't be related to last years results otherwise they would have sacked him last year, has to be an interal dispute. If it is related to last years results then the broncos have the worse boardroom ever, to wait 3 weeks before the next season before they sack the coach is a joke.

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Did you think a few of the owners were pulling out for no reason? Cullen is still on the board btw. Last year is a whole different chapter of the story.

hellteam

First Grade
You'd think he would have to do something wrong, broke his contract or something. Otherwise wouldn't the rest of his 2 year contract be paid out, not just 3 months?

beads6

First Grade
We deserve to know why?? 3 weeks from the start of the season and we cop this rubbish and with no reason.... Disgusting from the club, the board, the CEO

Honkiest_Honky

Juniors
Henjack was sacked because he lost the players trust. They're reporting that Henjack hasn't spoken to Lockyer since standing him down fr last season last rd game, Lockyer wanted to play injured as they had a chance to make the finals.

beads6

First Grade
Henjack was sacked because he lost the players trust. They're reporting that Henjack hasn't spoken to Lockyer since standing him down fr last season last rd game, Lockyer wanted to play injured as they had a chance to make the finals.

so why wait until 3 weeks before the season starts to sack him?? Ludicrous IMO

Steve_oneskie

Juniors
Just heard very interesting and very baffling at the same time really bizarre, there's surely more to this storey than is being reported and i really want to know what.

The Brisbane Broncos have today announced that the club will have a new coach for season 2011.

That post will be filled by current assistant coach Anthony Griffin, who takes over from Ivan Henjak.

Henjak, who coached the side in seasons 2009 and 2010, has agreed with the club to stand down from the role.

“It has been decided at board level that a change needed to be made in this regard, and that change will be made effective immediately,” said Broncos chief executive Paul White.

“These are tough times for all parties concerned but I would like to express my personal thanks and that of the club to Ivan for taking on such a challenging role, and for his valuable contribution to the Broncos for the past eight years.”

Griffin is a highly-credentialled coach who has had much to do with developing many of the Broncos’ current crop of emerging young stars.

He coached the Broncos to the inaugural NYC grand final in 2008 and also coached Redcliffe when they won the Queensland Cup in 2006.

“Anthony Griffin has done a long apprenticeship at a number of clubs and we are very confident he has the skills and drive to be a success as head coach of the Broncos,” said Broncos’ general manager of football operations, Andrew Gee.

Griffin was assistant coach at the Melbourne Storm in 2001 and 2002 and had earlier won three Queensland Colts premierships with Redcliffe and Brisbane Norths.

He has also coached at representative level with the Queensland under 17s (1998) and the Queensland Residents side in 2007.

Source: http://www.broncos.com.au/default.a...&title=anthony-griffin-to-replace-ivan-henjak

renouf

Juniors
amazed.. could this open the door for Bennett to return, and allow Lockyer to coach beside him for a few years before taking the helm? or am I dreaming..

Seagullsrock

Juniors
Don't know why you're all surprised. A month ago the media were saying Henjack would be sacked after 4 rounds if results weren't favourable. They were just 2 months off. ;-)

AuDragon

Juniors
rumours are that Craig Bellamy will be at the Broncos in 2012:p
Got the same mail from the same person who told me about Inglis last season way before the official announcement (no one was counting on the flip flop with the planes not flying because of the rain...:sarcasm:)

Dazzat

First Grade
Interesting subtle point made by Nine News ... Griffin and the new CEO have been friends since high school. Interesting.

No matter what you think of Henjak, it took guts to follow Bennett.

Griffin sounds like he's served a good apprenticeship for this role. Most teams that change coaches immediately step up and play like champions, so I guess we can expect a solid start to the season.

As much as I respect and admire Wayne Bennett, I don't know whether him coming back is a good move. Maybe as a director of coaching, but that's all.

Broncos93

Juniors
Sorry I haven't been following this forum that closely lately, someone care to fill me in as what happened between Gagai and Henjack?