What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Henson Park Hotel

bornadragon

Juniors
I work 200 yards form it. I will check when I can. I know they've heaps of bistro dramas, which they haven't helped their own cause.

Jeffles

Bench
The place has gone downhill and I'd like to think it's no coincidence that the decline started with the same people that decided not to sponsor the Jets. They thought they could ignore the community and at the same time, rely on the clientele to remain loyal.

It didn't work and now they are looking to relocate closer to Marrickville Station near Banana Joe's, between all those pubs and the RSL Club. In such a competitive environment they will not survive if they continue to ignore the communuity.

The pub has a lot of history. I undertsand it was originally called the Marrick Hotel and the owner of that pub came up with the name Marrickville. It is a very good site. I wonder what will take its place.

Its pretty rare for a pub to close down in the age of pokies. I look forward to woolies buying it and turning it into a pokie palace. Another old style pub to get butt raped dammit! Maybe they should just advertise that it is in Enmore like The Factory does around the corner that should bring the punters in, if they can find it!

barrytiger

Juniors
everyday i read somewhere that big business and developers wipe out a lifestyle and memories of things i have enjoyed ive had a gutfull of this place:x :x :x :x :x

Manfred Moore

Juniors
if that old girl could talk the stories she could tell

over the years the HPH has had its fair share of characters including gangsters, moles, sp bookmakers and the like...

but always a pub full of goodtimes that epitomised a golden era in sydney's history

most who remember her heyday are long gone in one way or another

progress can be such a bitch

Manfred Moore

Juniors
gday nbb

i go a bit awol over summer...

had a gutful of cricket just quietly

bring on the pig skin at henson...cant wait!

cheers mate

hrundi99

First Grade
I'd suggest that the HPH's failure is as much to do with poor business management as anything.

I used to go to trivia every Thursday night but lost interest (for more than one reason).

Customer service has declined markedly, and the constant changes in bistro catering was deadset incompetent.

This has nothing to do with "big business" and everything to do with the owners not adapting to changes in market demands.

Karma's a bitch.

Anyone actually confirmed this yet? Responding to market demands is what is leading to the homgenisation of Sydney pubs. Its unfortunate but pubs are there to make money and so we will continue to have pokie funded renovations to pubs that steal all the pubs charm. Having said that, the service at the HPH has been sh*t and there is no excuse for that, I waited at the bar once for about 5 minutes before someone even appeard behind the bar.

In regards to the bistro, I met the guy that was running the bistro a couple of months ago and he gave me & my mates a free greek salad each which bought a fair bit of goodwill from us. Dont know if he has since gone but he seemed quite switched on and I had encouraged him to advertise in the base rag and offer jets supporters a discount.

Didn't the down turn in the HPHotel coinside with them withdrawing their sponsorship of the Jets? Which I believe was one of the worst decisions ever made. I think I only wen there once last season for a beer, whereas if they'd been a sponsor I would have happily spend more of my hard earned pineapples there.

Jeffles

Bench
I don't know if they have shut down but I am reliably informed that they want to relocate the license to Illawarra Road, between Marrickville Rd and the Marrickville RSL.

As DHPTJF says, pubs are a business and they need to make money. This pub has chosen the easy way out by moving to somewhere where they can get more gamblers. I'm sure they'd make money if they engaged the locals but they haven't.

Jeffles

Bench
The licensees should realise what a great asset they have. There is so much goodwil towards the place IF THEY SUPPORT THE LOCAL COMMUNITY. And it's not just the Jets. The HPH used to host Father Dave fundraisers as well as other community events.

If they sponsored the Jets to the tune of what they were sponsoring us before, they'd make it back many times over in bar takings after the game and because of renewed interest during the week. And that goes for other philanthropic ventures they were involved with.

Saving a few thousand dollars by pulling sponsorship, presumably because Jets fans would find it to convenient not to boycott the place, had backfired.

I wonder what the community can do. Marrickville Council must give consent to a hotel being built on the new site and the Licensing Court or Liquor Administration Board approves the relocation.

Latest posts