What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Here we go again - Raiders stand Joel Thompson down

Season's not even started and we're off and running.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2009/02/03/2481038.htm?section=sport

Raiders' Thompson faces court

Canberra Raiders player Joel Thompson has been charged with assault occasioning in actual bodily harm after an incident in January.
He was arrested yesterday and taken into custody before appearing in the ACT Magistrates Court today.
He was granted bail on the condition he does not approach or intimidate the victim.
Raiders chief executive Don Furner was present at the court this morning and has indicated the club will release a statement this afternoon after consulting with the club chairman and the Raiders' coach.
The club has released a statement saying Thompson has been stood down from all club commitments pending his court appearance.
Raiders chief executive Don Furner says the decision to stand down Thompson was made by the club today and no further action will be taken until the matter has been concluded.
"Until this time he will not be training or playing with the club with the club," he said.
"A decision on his future with the Raiders will be made at a later date."
Mr Furner says the club will be making no further comment on the issue until after Thompson's court appearance.
Thompson will appear in court again on February 25.

The Tank

Bench
Maybe my minds gone blanks because it's the off-season but who is Joel Thompson? Is he a first grader?

parra pete

Referee
I find it hard to believe....Totally out of character.. Joel is a good bloke - hope it gets resolved quickly because he has a great future ahead of him...

Noa

First Grade
Gee clubs handle these things poorly.

Have his back Canberra you morons. Keep him active till he's found guilty, not the other way around.

sooperdooper

First Grade
I find it hard to believe....Totally out of character.. Joel is a good bloke - hope it gets resolved quickly because he has a great future ahead of him...

doesnt matter... he should face the penalties like everyone else. They should sack him...

If found guilty he should be sacked like Goodwin and TC and Ive got no doubt the Raiders will do this if guilty.
Joel was a gun U20 player ,last year , he was destined to be play FG this year. I hope he is innocent but wont feel sorry for him if he is not.

These footballers are proving to be a dumb breed of people.

Rogue.9

Juniors
If he is found guilty then they should punt him, but I don't see why they don't still have him training until the trial date. Understandable not having him attend official functions but if they are still paying him I would be making him train to keep up his fitness.

Stagger eel

Staff member
A laughable statement coming from you!!!!:lol:

actually Pete, just as laughable coming from you, I mean after all, you've been telling us for years how Canberra is a good wholsome club and all, you've also been talking this kid up for a while..

it's a little embarassing isn't it??;-)

dubby

Bench
If he is found guilty then they should punt him, but I don't see why they don't still have him training until the trial date. Understandable not having him attend official functions but if they are still paying him I would be making him train to keep up his fitness.

They did the same with Bronx Goodwin after he assaulted some guys last year.

This is a real shame. JT is a gun, a future star in the making. He played one NRL game last year and was touted as being in the top squad this year. A junior Roo and a bloody good player.

What goes thru these guys minds?

The sad thing is, the Raiders will be forced to sack him, then watch him get signed up by another club and forge a successful career there.

Raider_69

Post Whore
All i can do is shake my head... what is wrong with these blokes?
All they are asked to do is obey the law, they cant even do that

Thompson is a future star, sadly now he'll probably be lost to the club...

Wicks

Juniors

Thompson is a good aggressive player but he steps over the mark at times and is regarded by some teams as a bit of a thug

All i can do is shake my head... what is wrong with these blokes?
All they are asked to do is obey the law, they cant even do that

Thompson is a future star, sadly now he'll probably be lost to the club...

Young, getting paid really well, and have far too much spare time. That is the problem. Sure they are training until around lunch time each day but then they hardly have any commitments so they generally end up on the pizz somewhere. There's an old saying - "idle hands are the devils workshop" and it basically rings true. If a young bloke has nothing to do, they will generally get into mischief.

The NRL needs to go back to the old days with these young blokes and reduce their training commitment but make them take up full time employment. If a player is under 20, they should be training at night and spend weekday's working or studying full time. They should be paid a reasonable wage and the rest should be put into trust. Basically, they should be just like the rest of us until they hit an age where they are mature enough to handle the fame and the money. It sounds drastic I know, but in the last two days, we've seen the careers of two "kids" cop a hammering because of off field indiscretions. Taumata will probably be finished for good and I can't help but think that if he didn't have an NRL players salary and notoriety, he would have been a different bloke.

I went to school with a lot of young blokes who went on to make NRL and as soon as they land a decent contract with an NRL team, it goes straight to their head and they change over night. These kids need to know that they are priviledged to have the opportunity to live the life they do and the only way to show them this imo is to make them live like mere mortals for a while.

Latest posts