What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HIA Rule

How many HIA checks were Canberra doing before taking drop outs on the weekend? Seemed like a lot

I counted 4. We forced 7 drop outs and 4 of them were delayed because of ingoal HIA checks. Ftr, none of those players being checked ended up leaving the field.

Funnily enough, Hodgson, who never left the field despite staggering from a tackle, missed training this week for “not a concussion.”

Some serious shenanigans going on down in the capital.

Perth Red

Post Whore
It's only going to get worse. The NRL are panicking about players suing down the line like in NFL.

I very much doubt they are, the NFL was only sued because they knew the damage occurring and hid the evidence from the players. The NRL is very open and adjusting rules to minimise risk, that's all it has to do under duty of care. What exactly do you think the players are going to sue for?

ACTPanthers

Bench
Id suggest you need a new Dr. He clearly stumbles after hitting his head in the tackle. All very convenient if you ask me.
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your phD? Now I'm not really arguing any side of the point, but to genuinely argue with a trained professionals opinion on concussion, when, and I'm making a massive assumption here, you have very little to no medical training, is pretty arrogant imo.

nick87

Coach
I counted 4. We forced 7 drop outs and 4 of them were delayed because of ingoal HIA checks. Ftr, none of those players being checked ended up leaving the field.

Funnily enough, Hodgson, who never left the field despite staggering from a tackle, missed training this week for “not a concussion.”

Some serious shenanigans going on down in the capital.

Why wouldnt we do it? It's proven itself to be an effective way to slow the game down to your advantage. We'd be mad not to use it given clubs have no problem using it against us

The situation needs to be looked at in the off season, it's inconceivable to me that in 2019 we have trainers making HIA determinations first and foremost, and then doctors are reviewing the footage, and then playing Chinese Whispers with the trainer, then to the touch judge, then to the head ref on a HIA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Just out of curiosity, where did you get your phD? Now I'm not really arguing any side of the point, but to genuinely argue with a trained professionals opinion on concussion, when, and I'm making a massive assumption here, you have very little to no medical training, is pretty arrogant imo.

The school of common sense and university of no vested interest!
ps I am nurse trained with lifetime specialty in brain conditions, careful making assumptions :) .

Lets look at what we saw happen:
1. He hits his head on the players hip making a tackle
2. He falls backwards out of the tackle on to his back in a motion suggesting he isnt able to stop himself with his arms all floppy by his side
3. He tries to stand up and sinks back down to one knee
4.He tries to stand again and falls forward, stopping himself from going flat on his face with his arms.

Not sure you need a medical degree to see there was clearly some issue.

Last edited:

ACTPanthers

Bench
The school of common sense and university of no vested interest!
ps I am nurse trained with lifetime specialty in brain conditions, careful making assumptions :) .

Lets look at what we saw happen:
1. He hits his head on the players hip making a tackle
2. He falls backwards out of the tackle on to his back in a motion suggesting he isnt able to stop himself with his arms all floppy by his side
3. He tries to stand up and sinks back down to one knee
4.He tries to stand again and falls forward, stopping himself from going flat on his face with his arms.

Not sure you need a medical degree to see there was clearly some issue.
And that’s fair enough, hence why I said it was a massive assumption. I stand corrected. Good day to you sir.

Perth Red

Post Whore
And that’s fair enough, hence why I said it was a massive assumption. I stand corrected. Good day to you sir.

No problem,
NRL are investigating. We had a spate of clubs fined early on but cant recall seeing any clubs pinged for it in recent times? Had to laugh at the NRL's comment re all Dr's being independent and doing the right thing, they clearly haven't met some of the Dr's I have in my 30 years in health!

lazza

Juniors
It should be any player that stays down after a high shot needs to come off for HIA - takes away players staying down for a penalty

ram raid

Bench
I very much doubt they are, the NFL was only sued because they knew the damage occurring and hid the evidence from the players. The NRL is very open and adjusting rules to minimise risk, that's all it has to do under duty of care. What exactly do you think the players are going to sue for?

If you think that your intuitive skills have severely let you down in this instance.

Travitoh

First Grade

Rules are one thing, enforcing them are another.
It could be argued that the NRL remains too lenient when it comes to head high contact. Sam Burgess missing 0 weeks for a hit on Matt Moylan as one example, Luke Keary from last weekend being free to play this weekend as another.
They may not be hiding the information but it can be said that they're not doing enough to actually deter and prevent head high contact.