What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

HIA Rule

nick87

Coach
Forget today's game where its clear what happened, Manly used the rules made available to them. I've got no gripe with them. Or anyone doing it.

But what can or should be done about this? Player welfare is rightly at the forefront of the decisions to impliment rules like this but we are now going to get to the point where anytime a break is made, a forward who's been on a little while will just feign a HIA, get the game stopped, allow his team to reset their defensive line and then suanter off?

It's a very difficult thing to fix because of the player welfare priority, but we've now reached a tipping point where teams are brazenly using these rules to a significant advantage.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Blatant fakes like the one today should go to the judiciary or be met with a massive fine. Or just take it out of the clubs hands and have someone impartial making the call if a player needs to come off or not.

Mr. Shaman

First Grade
Blatant fakes like the one today should go to the judiciary or be met with a massive fine. Or just take it out of the clubs hands and have someone impartial making the call if a player needs to come off or not.

He failed the HIA.

mave

Coach
Parra have been doing it for years.

Shouldn't teams be applauded for keeping up with the the rule bending teams ,,,,,a la Melbourne Storm ?

nick87

Coach
Parra have been doing it for years.

Shouldn't teams be applauded for keeping up with the the rule bending teams ,,,,,a la Melbourne Storm ?

Yeah again, im not blaming Manly
To me its no different to any other rule, it's there to be used and abused... but are we going to see a break made late in a big finals match, and the game stopped for an eroneous HIA where the player is NOWHERE near the footy?

I mean if im a coach, my first task on monday is to figure out what my system is to get the game stopped if i need it. The trainer needs only to alert the next forward slated for interchange that they're "it" and that if a huge break is made, to hit the deck holding their head and let the trainer stop the game... they come off, pass a HIA, all good

nick87

Coach
That was Boyle. HIA was Waddell.
They made mention of it in the commentary that he had cleared the HIA so "at least they have two men on the interchange again"
Sorry bruh, but its clear what went on here.

But it's the rules. The problem isnt manly taking advantage of the rule, it's that a player can be 30 metres off the ball, and have the game stopped because his team is shot to bits after a huge break.

AJB1102

First Grade
Forget today's game where its clear what happened, Manly used the rules made available to them. I've got no gripe with them. Or anyone doing it.

But what can or should be done about this? Player welfare is rightly at the forefront of the decisions to impliment rules like this but we are now going to get to the point where anytime a break is made, a forward who's been on a little while will just feign a HIA, get the game stopped, allow his team to reset their defensive line and then suanter off?

It's a very difficult thing to fix because of the player welfare priority, but we've now reached a tipping point where teams are brazenly using these rules to a significant advantage.

It doesn't have to even be a HIA. A Reynolds just laid on his back holding his ribs to get Souths a 5 minute breather when they'd been under the pump.

Since that Cowboys game refs are now also expected to diagnose serious injury on the run.

This arvo the ref in Storm v Titans called time off while a Titan made his way back to the defensive line because he thought he had a head knock.

I'm not sure why it's so imperative to stop play for an injury that's behind play, it won't get the trainer/doc out there any quicker. Between the trainers, docs and HIA review booth on the sideline we don't need to add to the list of things the refs need to look out for - they're pretty shit just concentrating on the rules without being doctors on the run.

Stopping everything to get a cut taped is bullshit too. Play with 12 for a couple minutes or make an interchange.

It’s f**ked. Like how did that guy get a head injury making a high tackle?

He did it further up field in a different tackle earlier in that set or maybe even the set before that. I seen him stumble a couple times getting up. Was superb timing from the trainer though.

mave

Coach
Just lol at this thread, after the Pommy Raiders tried to buy ,even more, penalties all game (especially the 1st half) for non existent crushers, etc.

Just lol at the irony.

nick87

Coach
Just lol at this thread, after the Pommy Raiders tried to buy ,even more, penalties all game (especially the 1st half) for non existent crushers, etc.

Just lol at the irony.

My dude, take 5 minutes and think about this
Manly are in this competition, as Daley would say, up to their ear balls

Do you really want the roosters or storm to have the ability to hold up play after a huge Tommy T line break and you’ve got them cut to pieces with DCE screaming for the footy, because one of their forwards fakes a HIA and lets them reset their line?

Let’s just let the footy determine the outcomes, you should feel confident about that, that manly team is good and tough and they deserve to win or lose on their own merit, not because of this crap

Vic Mackey

Referee
Last week Des had a cry in the press conference saying the Tigers were laying down after when Manly were in attack to slow the game. It happened twice, once when Liddle did his ACL and then when McQueen went off for a HIA and didn’t return.

It’s clear he was setting up for this week. He’s always looking for a way to exploit the rules.

Spot On

Coach
Looks like the Canberra fans missed the tackle the head knock to Boyle occurred in.

It was a few minutes before he made the high tackle.

siv

First Grade
HIA is another classic rule change

Brought in for the positive reasons

But has since being exploited to get a extra 2 interchanges and stop the game at critical moments

I never seen so many stopages for injury related issues in the history of the game

Time for a few basic rules out of the soccer and boxing area

Injured player who stops play - like soccer must leave the field for the rest of the set of six while a injury assessment occurs. Team plays with 12 men. I will only allow stoppage if there is a two defenders headclash

First 2 HIAs/blood bins should be considered interchanges

Then for failed HIAs
- mandatory 1 week off for a first failed HIA
- another HIA in 4 weeks then 4 weeks off
- another failed HIA in 4 weeks then 8 weeks off

Latest posts