What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance Update: Off-Season

Dragon David

First Grade
I really hope that he can improve our attack as basically, except for a few games, it wasn't very exciting and we couldn't score too many points. Both Carr and Woolf are Hook selections/appointments so whatever happens, Hook still holds the responsibility on all outcomes in attack and defence.

Reactions: jak

Juniors
He speaks of going back to the fundamentals completion and possession. Sounds like much of last season yawn. The game I feel is more conducive to eyes up footy and taking risks on broken play. I reckon we have the offensive squad to be successful at this but not sure hook will allow it.

RedVDave

First Grade
Was a bog average halfback in high school never played FG and clearly his vocabulary hasn't improved either "yeah nah you know umm like" we will get the spoon this upcoming season.

Old Timer

Coach
Was a bog average halfback in high school never played FG and clearly his vocabulary hasn't improved either "yeah nah you know umm like" we will get the spoon this upcoming season.
Many a good coach stumbled over words and had very few highlights as a player.

In fact his vocabulary might well prove to be a real asset as we don't have too many Rhodes Scholars in the team.

Dragon David

First Grade
So was Jack Gibson
There haven't been that many great first grade players turn out to be great coaches.

1 Wayne Bennett (four premierships from six Grand Finals – 1998-2021)
2 Craig Bellamy (three premierships from five Grand Finals – 2012-20)
3 Trent Robinson (three premierships – 2013-19)
4 Des Hasler (two premierships from five Grand Finals – 2007-14)
5 Ivan Cleary (one, maybe two premierships from four Grand Finals – 2011-22)
6 Ricky Stuart (one premiership from four Grand Finals – 2002-19)
7 Steve Folkes (one premiership from two Grand Finals – 1998-2004)
8 Paul Green (one premiership from two Grand Finals – 2015-17)
9 John Lang (one premiership – 2002)
10 Shane Flanagan (one premiership – 2016)

Old Timer

Coach

DfL

Juniors
Would anyone be kind enough to post the article?
That was silly of me here you go :)

St George Illawarra star Zac Lomax was on his best behaviour at training, avoiding getting into scraps with his teammates, during a cross-code opposed session with the NSW Waratahs on Monday.
Senior Dragons players giggled about the training-ground squabble between Lomax and Junior Amone last week, and applauded the young pair for showing such spirit.
Zac Lomax trains with the Dragons and Waratahs on Monday.

Zac Lomax trains with the Dragons and Waratahs on Monday.CREDIT:ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
Lomax tried to shove Amone out of the way at marker as he played the ball, only for Amone to object and stand up for himself before a melee erupted.
If everything goes to plan, Lomax will be making plenty more headlines next season as he looks finally deliver on the top-shelf brand of football Red V fans have only seen in glimpses.

“Zac has been fantastic,” Dragons forward Jack de Belin said. “He’s one of the best athletes I’ve seen, he’s that fit and strong and skilful - he’s got it all.
“The last couple of years, he’s played some fantastic footy, but at the same time he’s copped a lot of flak. He just needs to knuckle down and play good footy, and I expect nothing less from him. He’s a star player and definitely in for a big 2023.”
Jack de Belin chats with Waratahs coach Darren Coleman on Monday.

Jack de Belin chats with Waratahs coach Darren Coleman on Monday.CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES/SMH SPORT
De Belin, who was on hand to separate Lomax and Amone apart last Thursday, said the squabble had reminded him of the day he and Trent Merrin nearly traded blows during a session almost a decade ago.
“I had an AC sprain [and] I got put on it,” de Belin said. “I grabbed him [Merrin] by the throat, but it was just heat of the moment; you have a laugh afterwards, and the same thing happened last week.”
Advertisement

Aaron Woods, who recalled seeing Bryce Gibbs and Keith Galloway trade punches at the Wests Tigers not long after he entered first grade, said neither Lomax and Amone did not want to take a backward step.
Amone had only been back for a few days following his Tongan World Cup commitments, and was in no mood for Lomax’s carry-on. “It was good to see him stand up for himself,” Woods said of Amone.
Aaron Woods during Monday’s joint Dragons-Waratahs training session.

Aaron Woods during Monday’s joint Dragons-Waratahs training session.CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES
As for Lomax’s finally realising his potential, Woods said: “As an athlete, Lomax is one of the best I’ve seen, and I’ve been at four NRL clubs.
“Physically, running-wise, fitness-wise, he’s the best I’ve seen. In the gym, he’s also up there as one of the strongest.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown went to new heights in 2022 for Parramatta.

Updated​

NRL 2023

Moses’ $4m call as Eels bank on Brown’s loyalty in ‘flexible’ eight-year deal

“He just has to put it out there each weekend, and if he does that consistently, then they will talk about him for Origin and Australia. We senior blokes give it to him a fair bit, but he’s a good kid, and he respects that.
“He’ll carry on about being on a big pay cheque, but I’ll remind him I’ve played more Origin and Australian games than him - he calls me ‘Old boy’, but I tell him he’s a young boy who has done nothing.
“It’s just banter. It’s my job to push him and get the best out of him [because] if he’s firing, the Dragons are a completely different side.”
The Dragons and Waratahs trained together before playing a 20-minute quarter of league, followed by 15 on 15 in rugby. Kurtley Beale and one-time Sydney Roosters target Max Jorgensen featured for the Waratahs.
De Belin, who played rugby as a junior, including school games with Wallaby Nick White while boarding together at St Gregory’s College, said even though the two teams were there to work on their conditioning, “you still want bragging rights, and I didn’t want these rugby union lads to get the better of us”.

itsme

Juniors
That was silly of me here you go :)

St George Illawarra star Zac Lomax was on his best behaviour at training, avoiding getting into scraps with his teammates, during a cross-code opposed session with the NSW Waratahs on Monday.
Senior Dragons players giggled about the training-ground squabble between Lomax and Junior Amone last week, and applauded the young pair for showing such spirit.
Zac Lomax trains with the Dragons and Waratahs on Monday.

Zac Lomax trains with the Dragons and Waratahs on Monday.CREDIT:ST GEORGE ILLAWARRA DRAGONS
Lomax tried to shove Amone out of the way at marker as he played the ball, only for Amone to object and stand up for himself before a melee erupted.
If everything goes to plan, Lomax will be making plenty more headlines next season as he looks finally deliver on the top-shelf brand of football Red V fans have only seen in glimpses.

“Zac has been fantastic,” Dragons forward Jack de Belin said. “He’s one of the best athletes I’ve seen, he’s that fit and strong and skilful - he’s got it all.
“The last couple of years, he’s played some fantastic footy, but at the same time he’s copped a lot of flak. He just needs to knuckle down and play good footy, and I expect nothing less from him. He’s a star player and definitely in for a big 2023.”
Jack de Belin chats with Waratahs coach Darren Coleman on Monday.

Jack de Belin chats with Waratahs coach Darren Coleman on Monday.CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES/SMH SPORT
De Belin, who was on hand to separate Lomax and Amone apart last Thursday, said the squabble had reminded him of the day he and Trent Merrin nearly traded blows during a session almost a decade ago.
“I had an AC sprain [and] I got put on it,” de Belin said. “I grabbed him [Merrin] by the throat, but it was just heat of the moment; you have a laugh afterwards, and the same thing happened last week.”
Advertisement

Aaron Woods, who recalled seeing Bryce Gibbs and Keith Galloway trade punches at the Wests Tigers not long after he entered first grade, said neither Lomax and Amone did not want to take a backward step.
Amone had only been back for a few days following his Tongan World Cup commitments, and was in no mood for Lomax’s carry-on. “It was good to see him stand up for himself,” Woods said of Amone.
Aaron Woods during Monday’s joint Dragons-Waratahs training session.

Aaron Woods during Monday’s joint Dragons-Waratahs training session.CREDIT:EDWINA PICKLES
As for Lomax’s finally realising his potential, Woods said: “As an athlete, Lomax is one of the best I’ve seen, and I’ve been at four NRL clubs.
“Physically, running-wise, fitness-wise, he’s the best I’ve seen. In the gym, he’s also up there as one of the strongest.

RELATED ARTICLE​

Mitchell Moses and Dylan Brown went to new heights in 2022 for Parramatta.

Updated​

NRL 2023

Moses’ $4m call as Eels bank on Brown’s loyalty in ‘flexible’ eight-year deal

“He just has to put it out there each weekend, and if he does that consistently, then they will talk about him for Origin and Australia. We senior blokes give it to him a fair bit, but he’s a good kid, and he respects that.
“He’ll carry on about being on a big pay cheque, but I’ll remind him I’ve played more Origin and Australian games than him - he calls me ‘Old boy’, but I tell him he’s a young boy who has done nothing.
“It’s just banter. It’s my job to push him and get the best out of him [because] if he’s firing, the Dragons are a completely different side.”
The Dragons and Waratahs trained together before playing a 20-minute quarter of league, followed by 15 on 15 in rugby. Kurtley Beale and one-time Sydney Roosters target Max Jorgensen featured for the Waratahs.
De Belin, who played rugby as a junior, including school games with Wallaby Nick White while boarding together at St Gregory’s College, said even though the two teams were there to work on their conditioning, “you still want bragging rights, and I didn’t want these rugby union lads to get the better of us”.
Thanks DFL, much appreciated!

BLM01

First Grade
Dragons are still using Maryisms of we were better than what the results show and this one has been used by media and many others.
“Where we finished last year is disappointing, but in previous years those points have got you in the top eight."
Woods quotes we lost to the Broncos through golden point. Did we?. I just remember they rolled us with their B grade side around origin.??? and we flogged them R26

FFS I thought we were past looking through Mary's rose coloured glasses