What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

High Performance Update: Off-Season

HenryTatana

Juniors
It really annoys me how poor these guys are in interviews. We finally have a decent (so far) media guy yet when the young players get given the platform to talk them selves up and they can’t even spit out a few words
Tend to agree.

As professional footballers part of their education would include courses on how to treat women (no means no), how to conduct yourself when out in public (don’t get drunk in public, walk away from confrontation etc.) and how to conduct yourself when talking to the media. It’s not rocket science what they’re being asked to learn.

BLM01

First Grade
Tend to agree.

As professional footballers part of their education would include courses on how to treat women (no means no), how to conduct yourself when out in public (don’t get drunk in public, walk away from confrontation etc.) and how to conduct yourself when talking to the media. It’s not rocket science what they’re being asked to learn.
Yes and these are almost new kids on the block you are talking about who are conducting their 1st ever club media interview.
Hardly seasonsed media savvy and trained professional footballers. Give em some time to grow into it.
It took Darius Boyd nearly 10 years.

randomdragon

Juniors
Agree. For me actions speak louder than words. Some of the best in the game struggle to put a decent sentence together
I disagree, every big name player i know can put a sentence together and does stumble when asked questions. Being good at media commitments also helps their own personal brand and will push them to possibly a future career in there. It’s in the clubs best interests to have them media trained, you never know someone might find one of the players entertaining or funny and they start supporting the team because of that (Brandon smith, Kalyan ponga come to mind)

BLM01

First Grade
I disagree, every big name player i know can put a sentence together and does stumble when asked questions. Being good at media commitments also helps their own personal brand and will push them to possibly a future career in there. It’s in the clubs best interests to have them media trained, you never know someone might find one of the players entertaining or funny and they start supporting the team because of that (Brandon smith, Kalyan ponga come to mind)
I think you are mixing media training with personality mentioning those 2
Ill give you 2 big names that dont speak that great in the media
Big JT from Cowboys and Frizzell

Old Timer

Coach
in the new age of social media its more important than ever
Kayln Ponga might be able to talk but still got caught on video coming out of a shithouse with another bloke.

Cheese might be able to talk and be funny bla bla but got caught with white powder.

FMD the NRL are lucky that only a small % of all the players actually get interviewed because if sounding intelligent in an interview was a prerequisite for getting a contract it would be lucky to be a 10 team comp with squads of 20.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Tend to agree.

Yes mate. I agree. A lot of clubs help these young blokes with their education as well. But public speaking doesn’t come easy, so you’d have to forgive them if they can’t string 2 words together (yet, or maybe never) as it’s not easy. Especially for a 20 Something year old kid who was brought up playing footy and not public speaking

Dragon Blood

Juniors
I really hope Haran is doing a great job but if things go pear shaped this season surely he has to be accountable?
4 spots to fill to bolster the middle. I’d guess we already have a couple of players ready to sign when the cap is confirmed. Hopefully good signings. Who is Aaron Hurst ? Had to laugh at his comment that the Dragons is a club that produces coaches !!!
I‘m not sure when Haran joined the club ‘I’m assuming post Bennett days’?

I recently had a conversation with a club official and when I asked him what’s been going wrong over the last 10 years or so, his reply was….‘I’m not 100% sure but the club has tried and made many changes to improve things, but the only position that hasn’t changed over that period is the head of Football/players’

Make of that what you will

BLM01

First Grade

I recently had a conversation with a club official and when I asked him what’s been going wrong over the last 10 years or so, his reply was….‘I’m not 100% sure but the club has tried and made many changes to improve things, but the only position that hasn’t changed over that period is the head of Football/players’

Not entirely true. I agree Ben Haran does not appear to be the right person for the GM job but he has not been head of football for 10 years.
He has been around the club since Bennett brought him back from the Storm when he started with us as a skills? coach and has done nearly every job from that or high performance around juniors and seniors except a head coach
I agree he has survived many culls and is now along with Albert to break the record as "job for the boys" positions

Last edited:

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
Not entirely true. I agree Ben Haran does not appear to be the right person for the GM job but he has not been head of football for 10 years.
He has been around the club since Bennett brought him back from the Storm when he started with us as a skills? coach and has done nearly every job from that or high performance around juniors and seniors except a head coach
I agree he has survived many culls and is now along with Albert to break the record as "job for the boys" positions

Wonder how long that official has been around for as well?