What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh insists Eels' season isn't lost

Suitman

Post Whore
How much worse can we get?

Exactly.
Smith did the same thing at Newcastle. Earnt the ire of many fans at the same time for f**king off useless twats, that were loyal crowd favourites.
The same fans that now love him to death.

Suity

Stagger eel

Staff member
How much worse can we get?

By the way, are you channeling MITS? ;-)

why should I suddenly lose confidence in a coach that inherited a basketcase? that's all I'm saying..

we've used about 25 players for various reasons I can see us probably hitting the 30 mark by the end of the year, you can hardly say that he's not giving guys a go.

The Colonel

Immortal
why should I suddenly lose confidence in a coach that inherited a basketcase? that's all I'm saying..

we've used about 25 players for various reasons I can see us probably hitting the 30 mark by the end of the year, you can hardly say that he's not giving guys a go.

He's giving players a go...... no doubt about it.

My question is are they the right players?

There are quite a few who have been given ample time to get it right..... there are some who have been given a chance seemingly as an afterthought.

Avenger

Immortal
He's giving players a go...... no doubt about it.

My question is are they the right players?

There are quite a few who have been given ample time to get it right..... there are some who have been given a chance seemingly as an afterthought.

Colonel

Who would you drop ? Show me your team if you have time. (Assume Inu is available)

The Colonel

Immortal
Hayne
Inu
Wright, J
Reddy
Grothe
Matt Keating
Mortimer
Grehan
Galuvao
Hindmarsh
Cayless
Kingston
Moimoi

Horo
Latimore
Mannah
Lewis

Robinson

Hell, it seemingly worked wonders for the Sharks by naming a number of NYC and NSW Cup players.

Is the salary cap the driver for his selections or lack thereof. Any player outside of the top 25 will bite us next year right?

Why would we want that when we want to get into the market next year for players. This year is virtually gone, so make do with what we have and try and stem the blood loss for year yuear cap wise. DA i feel is between a rock and a hard place, wants to try out potential re-signed players so he can make a decision but doesnt want to hurt the cap too much for next year and beyond.

I dont envy his job, BUT he is the man for the job, he has had success everywhere he has been so far. It may just take some time.

Stagger eel

Staff member
well at the moment, I think Horo is the only player worthy of a call up, Jono had an opportunity in the trials but didn't really take the bull by the horns, he'll probably get another go but when I saw him play with Tautai for Wenty early in the year, T looked more of a first grader than what Jono did.

cgee221

Juniors
I don't think any of us have the right to question Anderson at the moment. He has been handed an average squad (if you level out the good players from the bad) and is doing the best he can with them. I think we can only start to judge him when/if the squad status changes to above average/good/great.

Personally if we had our full squad available to us, all at full fitness, id be picking the following side:

1) Hayne
2) Reddy/Burt
3) Smith/Reddy
4) Inu
5) Grothe
6) Mortimer
7) Keating
13) Mateo
12) Galuvao
11) Hindmarsh
10) Moi Moi
8) Cayless
9) Keating

14) Kingston
15) Wright
16) Mannah
17) Paulo

HevyDevy

Coach
Your selection of M.Keating in the halves is interesting.

I do agree that he is not an NRL standard dummy-half.

What would your FULL STRENGTH team be Colonel?

The Colonel

Immortal
At full strength? Not sure as yet.

Returning Mateo, Inu and Keating to the starting side would be a given.

Ladmate

Bench
What a load of crap. He says "Eels should still be good enough to make the finals even with injury" Please.

Ron Jeremy

Coach
http://www.nrl.com/NewsViews/Latest...sh-insists-Eels-season-isnt-lost/Default.aspx

Ben Blaschke NRL.com Wed, 03 Jun 2009 12:06:00
Parramatta back-rower Nathan Hindmarsh has admitted to frustration at the Eels’ inability to attract new players in recent months but says the struggling club should still be good enough to reach the finals this season.

Despite languishing in 14th place on the NRL ladder following last Saturday night’s loss to cellar dwellars Cronulla and the absence of injured playmakers Feleti Mateo and Kris Keating, Hindmarsh said there were no excuses for the side having won just three games all season.

“It probably hasn’t helped the cause having those guys out but in saying that we should have beaten Souths without them and we should have beaten Cronulla as well,” he said.

“It would have helped having them in but that’s no excuse – we still should have won.”

“It’s hard to put a finger on what’s going on but we’re not winning games we should be winning. It’s disappointing.”

Asked about rumours that the club had no room under the salary cap to lure new players to the club next season – and having already missed out on Dragons duo Ben Creagh and Justin Poore – Hindmarsh said: “I think we can still do the job with the players that we have but you always like to see fresh faces around the place.

“It’s good to have other people coming in and out. But we can’t be worried about that and it’s not something we talk about.

“We’re just concentrating on winning games.”

The Eels look a tired and severely depleted squad this season, having lost seven of their 11 games including awful performances against the two sides below them on the NRL ladder in Cronulla and the Sydney Roosters.

While the sudden departure of halfback Brett Finch mid-season was seen by fans as a necessary evil as coach Daniel Anderson looks to make his mark, they have looked little more than a rabble at times – their inexperienced halves struggling behind a misfiring forward pack.

But while the form guide suggests they are in for a torrid time when they make the trek to Newcastle this weekend to face a Knights side that has won its last eight games at home, Hindmarsh said the Eels haven’t yet given up hope of a late top-eight push.

“You never say never,” he said. “You can’t shut up shop with half the season to go and our heads are still up.

“We’ve still got a fair bit of improvement in us but consistency is the main thing for us.

“If we’re still not playing well we can at least try and annoy some other teams.”

The Eels are sweating on the fitness of Hindmarsh this week after he left the field early in the second half against Cronulla with a biceps injury.

He will undergo another fitness test today but said he would train with the side this afternoon was remained confident of taking the field against Newcastle on Sunday.

“I just squashed the nerve in the biceps last week which stuffed around with the arm a bit,” he said.

“I had a cork from the week before against Souths and I wacked it again which didn’t do it any good.

“It’s a bit sore still but I’m going to the physio today to work out a bit of padding for it and we’ll see how it goes at training this afternoon.

“Last week I copped a hit right on the sweet spot which was what forced me off the field but as long as I don’t get hit right on that point again I’ll be right.”

A terrible article, whoever wrote it needs a good rapeing by me;-)

Ron Jeremy

Coach
I don't see why everyone keeps just handing Inu a spot. He hasn't done jack for a year and a half now.

totally agree HJ, i've been saying it for over a year now, and i was proven right with Hayne ( as you know), if Inu were to be selected in First Grade he should only be picked as a winger, he doesn't have the centre skills to be able to cemment a spot- well thats clearly obvious.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Honestly who would do well in the backline with our team ATM???? Hayne also struggled at centre in our sh*thouse team. Put INU at fullback and i have no doubt he would kill it as well. Our pack is crap and our halves have nothing, INU playing for the Bronc's or ST George would be a revalation.

Eelementary

Post Whore
What a load of crap. He says "Eels should still be good enough to make the finals even with injury" Please.

Yeah you're right - it would be so much better for him to say, "We suck and 2009 is hopeless." A player like him, which fans idolise and other players look up to...Yup. Having him stay negative is definitely the smarter choice.

Having said that, the team needs to put in.