What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh named greatest player to never win a grand final

Incorrect

Coach
Wayne Pearce, a bit like Hindmarsh, earned a reputation as a defensive freak. Probably more technically correct than Hindmarsh. Attack wise though Pearce posed about as much threat as Liberace in a whore house... I can remember watching games at Parra Stadium and Leichardt on the concourse/hill and would grimace by how much he would belted when he ran the ball up. He had none of the guile or menace needed to break the line nor an offload to make opposing teams second guess. Always thought his tyres were pumped up a little too much courtesy of his "fittest man in rugby league" title and good looks

Reactions: Vee

Vic Mackey

Referee
Wayne Pearce, a bit like Hindmarsh, earned a reputation as a defensive freak. Probably more technically correct than Hindmarsh. Attack wise though Pearce posed about as much threat as Liberace in a whore house... I can remember watching games at Parra Stadium and Leichardt on the concourse/hill and would grimace by how much he would belted when he ran the ball up. He had none of the guile or menace needed to break the line nor an offload to make opposing teams second guess. Always thought his tyres were pumped up a little too much courtesy of his "fittest man in rugby league" title and good looks

Yeah nah. Early in his career he was Steve Menzies like. He scored a 50m solo try in the 1982 Invincibles Test Matches. He couldnt offload or ball play for shit, but befor ehis knee injuries he was as quick as most center three quarters. Then later in his career he was more of the workhorse, yet would regualry come up with try saving cover tackles like this

TheFrog

Coach
No love for Wally Lewis?
Guess only 80 first grade games and 2 spoons isn't that good
Wally played just 46 games for the Broncos, following which he played 34 at the Gold Coast, winning just 7 of them. This is not enough to beat the players named.

BadnMean

Juniors

If you watch the '89 GF you see examples of this (being a Raiders fan I've seen it many times). He has a bit of an off day with his hands (3 drops, probably nerves or tension) but he also butchers a certain try where all he needs to do is get the ball along the line to Brasher who would zoom in easy, but he can't even manage the simple catch, draw & pass.

And yeah, ran straight & hard but that made him easy to line up, without much pace or size to back it up.

BadnMean

Juniors
Yeah nah. Early in his career he was Steve Menzies like. He scored a 50m solo try in the 1982 Invincibles Test Matches. He couldnt offload or ball play for shit, but befor ehis knee injuries he was as quick as most center three quarters. Then later in his career he was more of the workhorse, yet would regualry come up with try saving cover tackles like this

He wasn't knocking his defence I don't think (that was quality)- just saying he was not much shakes in attack. I never saw the faster Pearce, just the 88/89 model.

Vic Mackey

Referee
If you watch the '89 GF you see examples of this (being a Raiders fan I've seen it many times). He has a bit of an off day with his hands (3 drops, probably nerves or tension) but he also butchers a certain try where all he needs to do is get the ball along the line to Brasher who would zoom in easy, but he can't even manage the simple catch, draw & pass.

And yeah, ran straight & hard but that made him easy to line up, without much pace or size to back it up.

i generally find it’s best to not judge a players entire career off the 11th last game they ever played

King hit

Coach
Wally played just 46 games for the Broncos, following which he played 34 at the Gold Coast, winning just 7 of them. This is not enough to beat the players named.
Lewis won premierships in the Brisbane captaining a dominant Wynnum Manly team against some very good sides.

He is a premiership winner

Incorrect

Coach
i generally find it’s best to not judge a players entire career off the 11th last game they ever played
100%

And I'll admit that, despite seeing a lot of the Eels around the early 80's I was only just old enough then to 'remember' them as such, not assess or critique. By mid to late 80's, I was a bit older and playing the game myself so probably judged a bit more. So yeah, I probably don't have a good recollection or sample of when Pearce was at his best. I just have those vivid memories of watching him not 30 feet in front of me getting smashed time after time in those games I'd go along to watch. Always admired him though, don't get me wrong.

Would be similar to the youngsters growing up now who might have only seen Hindmarsh circa mid to late 2000's and wondering what the big deal is. From 98 to 03 is he had plenty to offer in attack and was a complete footballer. After that though, the gritty flopper took precedence....

kdalymc

Bench
Lewis won premierships in the Brisbane captaining a dominant Wynnum Manly team against some very good sides.

He is a premiership winner
My dad won 5 premierships for the Tooraweenah Wombats, it was A grade and they had very good opponents too .
Like it or not, the NSWRL was the major comp which then became the ARL which then became the NRL..

When Wally finally made the top grade he was 45 years old and got sacked after 2 years