What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hindmarsh to take fight to AFL

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...hindmarsh-wants-to-hear-it-20100210-nshq.html

Problem with league? Hindmarsh wants to hear it
GREG PRICHARD
February 11, 2010

NATHAN HINDMARSH is now going to get more people than ever stopping him in the street.

He says that in his new job with rugby league's Western Sydney Academy he wants to hear from people what they think needs improving in the game to make it more appealing for kids to play - and it's certain they'll take him up on that offer.

During a break from yesterday's coaching clinic at Parramatta Stadium, the Eels star was asked what he thought was the best way to keep league ahead of the field as the AFL steps up its move into Sydney's west.

''We've got to ask questions,'' he replied. ''We've got to ask parents, kids, volunteers what they want to get out of rugby league and what they think needs improving. That will help the game go forward.

''I'll be involved in that process, yeah. I want to see kids have fun and get excited about going to training after school, and get excited to wake up on Saturday and play.''

Hindmarsh doesn't see AFL attracting young players in Sydney's west as a reason for league officials to contemplate slashing their wrists, as long as the game is doing all it can to keep itself attractive.

''I think it's going to have an impact,'' Hindmarsh said of the AFL's western Sydney push. ''Kids are going to want to play the game, definitely. We do live in Australia, where kids love to play sport, and I don't see why some kids won't want to play AFL.

''Sure, it will strengthen their claims out west, but I think we've got a great product in rugby league that's been around for the last 100 years and will remain that way.

''Look at our base in western Sydney, it's massive, with over 25,000 kids playing rugby league and 20,000 volunteers. And then there are teams like Parra, Canterbury, Penrith and Wests Tigers, who people want to watch.

''Kids and parents are going to make up their own minds about which game to play. We just want to make rugby league as much fun and as enjoyable as it was when I played as a kid. Everyone says it's a war [against AFL], but I don't think it's a war. AFL is putting a team out there, and kids are going to play whatever game they want to play.''

The Colonel

Immortal
Ryan remembers the day Hindy got him hooked
GLENN JACKSON

February 11, 2010
Ads by Google

NRL Dream Team Rego

Register your team for the NRL'sOfficial Fantasy Football League
NRL.com/Dreamteam

UNLIKE Kevin Sheedy, Beau Ryan knows exactly who Nathan Hindmarsh is. In fact, Ryan used to have a piece of paper with the signature of the face of rugby league in western Sydney, which represents the importance of days like yesterday.
Ryan said Hindmarsh had been an ambassador for the game since long before this week. In fact, he can probably pinpoint the exact moment when the Parramatta forward's unseen, and sometimes unexpected, work in the community led to Ryan being hooked by the code.
Driving in a car with some under-16 cricket teammates in Albion Park, on the NSW South Coast, Ryan spotted Hindmarsh in another car, and chased him down for an autograph.
''I saw him driving past. I had a couple of mates with me, and they said, 'Yeah, yeah, as if'. I said, 'I swear to God it's Nathan Hindmarsh,''' Ryan said. ''The next thing we saw him at the Charcoal Chicken. We pulled over and I grabbed whatever I had, and it was a cricket scorecard.
''That was enough for me to focus on rugby league. He was a superstar to me, and now to play against him … you never forget that sort of thing.''
It's why Ryan, the Wests Tigers winger, was happy to be one of numerous NRL players to hit Campbelltown yesterday, as four clubs blitzed the west.
''I don't think some players realise how important it is,'' Ryan said. ''Krisnan Inu, Jarryd Hayne, some of the stars that play today, are all from this area, and could do equally as well playing AFL, so it's important we get them at a young age keen to support rugby league. It's a league heartland, and if we don't get a hold of it, it's gone, and if it's gone, well we're in big trouble.
''This western Sydney [AFL] side, if they have success, it's going to be a massive threat. Just like after Parramatta went well last year - a lot of people wanted to play rugby league after that.''
During the Eels' run last year, kids would invariably have looked up to Hayne, a Cabramatta junior, and Fuifui Moimoi, who became a cult figure.
Moimoi was also at Campbelltown, along with Bulldogs fullback Luke Patten, who said it was important senior players took ownership of the game against the threat of the rival code.
''Rugby league's in my blood - my dad played, both my brothers play, I've been playing since I was five,'' Patten said. ''I want to see it continue to prosper, and get bigger and bigger and become the sport it should be. We all make a pretty good living out of the game, and we've got to put back when we can - all the players have got to buy into it a bit and get on board. We just need to have more days like this and get more footballs into kids' hands.''
Tigers centre Chris Lawrence, straight out of the western Sydney nursery of St Gregory's Campbelltown, said he could ''never see [people] in the near future dropping league for AFL''.
That did not play down the importance of Lawrence, Ryan and co-signing autographs, and in the process potentially signing up any number of junior rugby league players. A piece of paper in a filing cabinet somewhere is testament to that.
''I didn't get to keep it,'' Ryan recalls of Hindmarsh's scribble. ''Because it was an official scorecard I think it had to go into the South Coast Cricket League.''

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...e-day-hindy-got-him-hooked-20100210-nsho.html

The Colonel

Immortal
Looking towards the future, not the past
CHRIS BARRETT

February 11, 2010
Ads by Google

NRL Fantasy Football

Select your Fantasy NRL teamto win the ultimate bragging rights
NRL.com/Dreamteam

WHEN Terry Lamb took a few moments to glance around Belmore Sports Ground yesterday, he noticed a couple of things. First was the retro Winfield Cup signage adorning the top of the grandstand at this first-grade venue of yesteryear.
Firm evidence, albeit fading, of rugby league's traditional stake in this pocket of western Sydney. "The field is just about gone," Lamb noted before sucking in a breath of history-infused air. "Geez, I loved playing here."
Peeling and decrepit the banner atop Belmore might be but elsewhere the oval - Canterbury-Bankstown's home for more than 70 years - was representative of the future, filled with hundreds of faces looking ahead, not towards the past.
What Lamb saw beyond the cigarette advertising was the next generation of the game's stronghold on the west.
"Who's this?" asked one of the ARL development co-ordinators as he introduced a giant, red-headed figure in a Wests Tigers polo shirt to a group of seated youngsters from Yagoona Public School, their legs crossed on the turf. "Keith Galloway!" answered no less than half a dozen of the kids in unison. It was an answer that would have put a smile on the face of NRL chief David Gallop, suiting up for battle in western Sydney against the AFL.
Their league smarts were of little surprise to Lamb, the Bulldogs great, who instead was stunned to see four rival clubs banding together to conduct the schools clinic.
"I've never seen it done," he said of the joint effort. "It's about clubs amalgamating and helping each other out. Most of these children here are Canterbury supporters. But you've got Penrith, Parramatta and the Wests Tigers here, so they should know the other players' names anyway."
And they did. Including Bulldogs Michael Ennis and Michael Hodgson, Joel Reddy, Jeff Robson and Eric Grothe from the Eels, Panther Frank Pritchard and, of course, Galloway.
"I still remember when Gorden Tallis came to my school when he was playing for St George," said the Wests Tigers prop. "He was someone I idolised when I was a kid so I can see where these kids are coming from."

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/...ds-the-future-not-the-past-20100210-nshs.html

The Colonel

Immortal
Hindmarsh keeps the peace between codes
Thursday, February 11, 2010 » 05:33am

skynews_842009590.jpg
Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh believes there is no need for bloodshed between the AFL and NRL.

Parramatta star Nathan Hindmarsh, the face of rugby league's fight to retain control of Sydney's west, believes AFL can be kept at bay without the need for bloodshed between the codes.
As the AFL continued its aggressive push into western Sydney with a visit by premier Geelong to Greystanes on Wednesday, Hindmarsh took on a conciliatory tone in his first day as strategy co-ordinator for the Western Sydney Academy.
He will spend at least a day a week spreading the rugby league gospel and cutting off AFL at the pass, but is not interested in out and out confrontation with his rivals.
'Everyone says it's a war but I don't think it's a war,' Hindmarsh declared.
'AFL's putting a team out there and kids are going to play whatever game they want to play.'
But the Eels veteran conceded the entry of Team GWS in the AFL in 2012 will present a massive challenge for rugby league.
'I think it's going to have an impact, kids will want to play the game,' he said.
'We do live in Australia where kids love to play sport and I can't see why they won't play AFL.'
'There will be a couple of kids that will want to play - there are already kids out there now playing AFL.'
'It (Team GWS) will strengthen their claims out west but I think we've got a great product in rugby league that's been around the last 100 years and will remain that way.'
Hindmarsh rejects talk he will rugby league's 'saviour' in the west, saying he simply wants to put back something into the game that has given him so much.
'I'm just someone who's stuck his hand up and wants to help out an organisation that's already doing a good job,' he explained.
'We just want to make rugby league as fun and as enjoyable as when I played as a kid.'
Rookie Wests Tigers centre Blake Ayshford typifies the new breed of youngster the two codes are fighting over.
He dabbled with Australian Rules as a schoolkid but was never going to be lured to the game.
He has seen first-hand the passion for rugby league in Sydney's west but warned the game's leaders not to get complacent or play down the AFL threat.
'I can't see it threatening too much out there but you've always got to look out for it because it can hurt rugby league, especially in the heartland,' he said
'I watch a bit of AFL on TV but never really thought about playing it.'
'I'm happy in league and I think the game is pretty healthy at the moment.'
</H1>
http://bigpondnews.com/articles/Sport/2010/02/11/Hindmarsh_keeps_the_peace_between_codes_427377.html

The Colonel

Immortal
NRL Stars blitz West Sydney
NRL Wed, 10 Feb 2010 16:08:00
onecommunity_320x240_2.jpg
One Community Carnvial Copyright: NRL

Rising Panthers star Wade Graham still remembers being an ‘awestruck’ kid attending coaching clinics with his NRL heroes – today the teenager was among a host of NRL players inspiring a new generation at the Community Carnival.

More than 2000 children today played alongside NRL stars from the Panthers, Wests Tigers, Eels and Bulldogs in a Western Sydney coaching clinic blitz that showcased the game’s ‘Eat Well Play Well Stay Well’ health message.

It’s a message that more than 500 NRL players and development officers are carrying across Australia this week as they visit areas across regional and rural NSW and Queensland, Victoria, New Zealand and Western Australia, while the NRL All Stars and Indigenous All Stars have converged on the Gold Coast in the game’s biggest ever Community Carnival.

In a united effort from the four Western Sydney NRL clubs, Graham joined the likes of Bulldogs hooker Michael Ennis, Wests Tigers prop Keith Galloway and Eels winger Eric Grothe at Belmore Oval, while other clinics were held at Parramatta Stadium, Penrith’s CUA Stadium and Campbelltown’s Bradbury Oval.

“Being a Western Sydney junior, it’s great to see so many kids out and about, not just doing Rugby League but sport in general and it’s great to see the clubs supporting it as well,” Graham said today.

“I did a few clinics when I was younger, we would have NRL players come out to the schools, and we’re doing similar things here, and it was awesome.

“I remember being a kid, and you’re just awestruck by the NRL players, so it’s great to see nothing much has changed and to get out into the community.”

Ennis added: “It’s a great game Rugby League, whether it’s boys or girls, especially at this age, it teaches them such good qualities.

“Not only will they make some friends here today, they’ll also learn a lot of hand-eye co-ordination, team building, little drills that will benefit them for many years to come, and they’ll go home tonight and have a laugh about it with mum and dad.”

NSW Origin star and new Eels recruit Justin Poore, who was among the players at today’s clinics at Parramatta Stadium, added: “It’s great that One Community has put this on for the kids. They get a lot of enjoyment out of it, they learn and they get to exercise while they’re at it.”

The Community Carnival excitement extended from Western Sydney to the far west of the state today as Rabbitohs stars visited Nyngan and Bourke.

Nyngan Hospital was draped in Rabbitohs colours for the visit, while the players found themselves the targets of an unusual challenge – an arm wrestling contest – from Brewarrina kindergarten student Grace.

For young Rabbitohs flyer Luke Capewell, who hails from the rural Queensland town of Charleville, the visit carried special importance.

“I know what it is like living in a small rural area. You don’t often get the opportunity to meet NRL players,” Capewell said.

“It is great to be able to do this for the kids and get out of Sydney. It is a big deal for these kids, which is special.”
http://www.nrl.com/newsviews/latest...7553/nrl-stars-blitz-west-sydney/default.aspx

hineyrulz

Post Whore
One good thing Shonky and his merry band of Boggerballers Have done is light a fire under the Arse of the NRL. It's a shame it's taken another code invading our turf for that to
happen.

strider

Post Whore
do u actually know for certain it was ghost written MITS? .... I initially thought, oh yeah someone's written it for him, but then I thought some of the sentences were a bit shorter and ummm different to other stuff that has been written for him :lol:

born an eel

Bench
do u actually know for certain it was ghost written MITS? .... I initially thought, oh yeah someone's written it for him, but then I thought some of the sentences were a bit shorter and ummm different to other stuff that has been written for him :lol:
so you need to have a long one to be a professional, if your got a short one you wont make it. :o:sarcasm:

No, but that was not my question to TheRam. My question was would it break his heart to find out it was ghost written. I don't know if it was or not.

However reading it and with Daniel Anderson's comments at the PESC meeting (that he has never given a player 2 days off a week in all his years of coaching first grade) I think it is fair to say this might be a bit of Media spin.

parra pete

Referee
No, but that was not my question to TheRam. My question was would it break his heart to find out it was ghost written. I don't know if it was or not.

However reading it and with Daniel Anderson's comments at the PESC meeting (that he has never given a player 2 days off a week in all his years of coaching first grade) I think it is fair to say this might be a bit of Media spin.

Of course it was ghosted.
Most players (not necessarily in this Hindmarsh case because I think he is articulate) are flat out stringing two words together with out saying "Yeah mate" ....Listen next time a player is interviewed in an after match award.....
AND remember the brilliant oratories after Weststigers Premiership win....

born an eel

Bench
Of course it was ghosted.
Most players (not necessarily in this Hindmarsh case because I think he is articulate) are flat out stringing two words together with out saying "Yeah mate" ....Listen next time a player is interviewed in an after match award.....
AND remember the brilliant oratories after Weststigers Premiership win....
i would still much rather read whatever the players write than some of the crap that gets printed by journalists.

Latest posts