What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

History in the making as Storm's SG Ball team play 1st game

AILD

Bench
melbournestorm.com.au

The Melbourne Storm SG Ball coaching staff has named their starting 17 for this week's history-making inaugural game against the Newcastle Knights in Newcastle. This game signals a new era for the Melbourne Storm club as their is a clear and definite pathway for players to progress through the junior ranks all the way into the NRL team without having to leave Melbourne.

An original squad of 44 players has now been cut back to the final squad of 30 who will compete for starting positions each weekend. The squad of 30 contains a total of 17 local players which is a very positive sign for the Victorian Rugby League and the VRL development programs. It is hoped that these players can continue to advance their careers at the Storm in the future.

The SG Ball squad have a nine-week Round Robin competition ahead of them with the aim of qualifying for the finals in their inaugural year. The first home game is in Round 2 against the Canberra Raiders at Princes Park on February 21. This game will be played as a curtain-raiser to the Melbourne Storm v Newcastle Knights NRL trial and kick-off will be at 3.00pm.

This week's starting line-up v Newcastle Knights in Newcastle:

1. Tinus Dorante
2. Robbie Kurth
3. Eddie Faamausili
4. Cameron Hansen
5. Toese Vou Siutu
6. John Aldridge
7. Jordan Taurea
8. Junior Afu
9. Herschel Gideon
10. Jordan McLaughlin
11. Kenny Bromwich
12. Sam Martin
13. Jordan McLean
14. Lucas Grech
15. Matthew Constantinou
16. Luke Waiti
17. Jerome Henry

Remaining players in the squad:
Aaron Laasia, Frankie Bruce, Elyon Brown, Mark Porges, Young Tonumaipea, David Maitaka, Duane Butler, Tala Titi, Adam Millgate, Jordan Schmidt, Josh Jerome, Slade Griffin, Justin O'Neill, Theodore Stuart

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
do they actually live and train in Melbourne, or a feeder club ?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
"without having to leave Melbourne" would suggest they are based there, alongside the under 20s and first grade sides.

I saw that as being a reference to the Melbourne Leagues Club rather then the city of Melbourne, but you could be right

cheers

Paullyboy

Coach
A Victorian state of origin team? The day they tinker with origin it will die. I love seeing progress in Victoria, but much like NZ, they should never be a part of origin.

***MH***

Bench
A Victorian state of origin team? The day they tinker with origin it will die. I love seeing progress in Victoria, but much like NZ, they should never be a part of origin.
A Victorian interstate rivalry will be as fierce as any QLD/NSW rivalry. VIC's think they're the shizz when it comes to sport in Australia. I welcome the challenge of a tri state series.

Panadol

Juniors
Victoria would need a minimum two NRL teams before it could produce a quality SOO team to compete. I think it be great to have a Victorian SOO team, but I wouldn't incorporate them into a Tri state series.

Instead have a 4th annual origin match between VIC and NSW, or turn the NSW/QLD SOO into two match series, and the 3rd Origin match can be replaced by a NSW/VIC.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Great news for Rugby League.

I dont think we will ever see a Victorian Origin side..

Maybe a combined origin side, with the likes of Victoria, SA, WA and probably NT.

We've already got plenty from WA, a few from NT.

sting

Bench
stop hijacking the thread with stupid plans that will never ever happen. this forum seems to do this alot lol.

on topic, i think this is awesome news. i f**king hate the melbourne storm with a passion and always have. one of my main things i always say about them is how they have no juniors and are a waste of time.

17 locals is a great start. even if only a couple go on to play first grade, it will definitely pave the way for more. a good step in the right direction.

yakstorm

First Grade
It's great to see the Storm finally enter a side into the Junior representative competition, it will go a long way to improving the quality of players that come out of Victoria.

Hopefully everything goes to plan and they can have a Harold Matthews side next season to complete the pyramid structure of:

U/16's
U/18's
U/20's
Reserve Grade (Central Coast Storm)
NRL

petetheileet

First Grade
This qualifies as history in the making??

Get 5 local juniors in a first grade team within 20 years of the club being formed and i'll call that closer to history.

Cloud9

This qualifies as history in the making??

Get 5 local juniors in a first grade team within 20 years of the club being formed and i'll call that closer to history.

Are you:

a. A heretic
b. An apostate
c. A heathen
d. the Anti Christ
e. a d*ckhead
f. All of the above.

I say f, all of the above.
Turd.

Bluebags1908

Juniors
It's great to see the Storm finally enter a side into the Junior representative competition, it will go a long way to improving the quality of players that come out of Victoria.

Hopefully everything goes to plan and they can have a Harold Matthews side next season to complete the pyramid structure of:

U/16's
U/18's
U/20's
Reserve Grade (Central Coast Storm)
NRL

As per a thread I started a few weeks ago, let's hope this team is eventually based in Victoria as well... preferably in a key geographic area that may one day be a forerunner to a 2nd Victorian NRL team.

Having the Melbourne Storm have a reserve grade side based in Central Coast of NSW just gives the impression that they are not serious about developing the sport in Victoria.

The Tank

Bench
Great news. As for a Vic SOO side, I reckon it'd be better to have a small Vic-WA-SA series run alongside the NSW-QLD series. Could even start now with amatuer players representing their states.

adamkungl

Immortal
It will be well over 10 years before Victoria even have enough players to field a state side I reckon. And decades before there is any competition for spots. Ask about Victorian SOO again in 50 years.

This isn't an attack on them btw, but the people who for some reason think SOO should have Victoria. This a step in the right direction for Melbourne RL

AILD

Bench
i dont really agree with a melbourne origin side.

but its great that we have 17 vic players that will be up against some of the best sydney and brisbane young talent.

petetheileet

First Grade
Are you:

a. A heretic
b. An apostate
c. A heathen
d. the Anti Christ
e. a d*ckhead
f. All of the above.

I say f, all of the above.
Turd.

Whats with all the religious conotations...

do enjoy giving it to young boys up the butt or something???

Latest posts