What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges trick

fatshark

Bench
Hes done it twice now but last nights one should be looked at closely, throwing the ball in the air and catching it again. i thought if you threw the ball in the air in front, its a knock on?Because if you can, then are you able to to knock the ball forward over someones head, catch it and play on?

Stagger eel

Staff member
Striker said:
I think it is only illegal play if it is used to beat an opponent.

I think you're right..

and it's only really a knock on if the ball touches an opponant/defender in the process of throwing it up in the air.

Stagger eel

Staff member
kooriguy said:
he didnt throw it forward, just up so i think thats ok, but dont quote me on that.

mate, he was facing the oppositions goal line which the ball was release in front of his body which means it definitely would of been a knock on had it touched an opponant or hit the ground.

Inferno

Coach
When part of the game did this happen?

I'd assume it is not a knock on unless it touches the ground or an opponent so play on for mind. Similar to how if you knock on, but kick the ball before it hits the ground or any other part of your body it is play on.

innsaneink

Referee
The ball CAN travel forward in the in-goal I think???

It was a brilliant piece of work either way...

simon says

First Grade
I dont think so....it can travel forward but you would get done for a forward pass/knock on.

There is no offside in goal....so a player in front could catch it....but you would lose possession via a goal line drop out.

simon says

First Grade
And yes,it was a brilliant play.....Hodges is having a great season and that was another example of some very sharp play from him.

m0j0

Bench
innsaneink said:
The ball CAN travel forward in the in-goal I think???

I'm fairly sure that the ruling with the in-goal thing is that there's no off-side in the in-goal, however if you pass the ball forward, it's still a knock-on, you just don't give away a penalty.
As for the Hodges thing, I've got no problem with it the way it was done. Of course, you can't throw the ball over an opponents head in a forward direction and re-gather, but that's a whole different situation.

m0j0

Bench
simon says said:
I dont think so....it can travel forward but you would get done for a forward pass/knock on.

There is no offside in goal....so a player in front could catch it....but you would lose possession via a goal line drop out.

Ahhh... beat me to it.:p

slacko_mitch

section 10
1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.

I cant see anything that is about passing to yourself, i thought it should have been a penalty myself.

he is on fire at the moment!

nqboy

First Grade
There must be a bit in there about passing forward to yourself. They had to outlaw it in the early days cos Dally Messenger kept tossing it over his opponents' heads, racing through and catching it and tearing away.

bonestorm

Juniors
slacko_mitch said:
section 10
1. A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on or passes forward.

I cant see anything that is about passing to yourself, i thought it should have been a penalty myself.

he is on fire at the moment!

So if someone passes you the ball, you juggle it forward and regather, should that be a penalty?

The reason you can't toss the ball over an opponent's head and regather is because you are in possession of the ball the whole time, and they could legitmately cream you as you attempt to run through and catch it. It's not like a kick where you dispossess yourself of the ball in the act of kicking.

That's my take on it anyway.

RL1908

Bench
I wrote about this issue earlier this year on RL1908 Blog It is illegal, and the referees are ignoring the rules (again!).

From the ARL's laws of the game....

"KNOCK-ON means to knock the ball towards the opponents’ dead ball line with hand or arm, while playing at the ball."

"REBOUND is an ACCIDENTAL STRIKE: when a ball strikes a player who makes no attempt to play at the ball."

"A player shall be penalised if he deliberately knocks on."

"If, after knocking-on accidentally, the player knocking-on regains or kicks the ball before it touches the ground, then play shall be allowed to proceed."

So, how is it that we regularly see defending players go unpenalised for deliberately knocking the ball forward to stop a pass, or tapping it forward in an attempt to control the ball and intercepting it?

If the first action is to deliberately knock the ball forward, it should be a penalty. I haven't seen this penalty enforced since the early 1990s.

The point is, if you deliberately knock the ball forward in attempting to bring the ball under control, it is illegal. If you deliberately knock it forward for any reason, it is clearly illegal.

Latest posts