What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hodges Try?

Geohood

Bench
This doesn't sit well with me at all from the game's point of view. What IS a shepard anymore, as long as the player that is used as the 'decoy' doesn't touch the defensive line? This will make it such a grey area now. This rule used to be pretty clear cut for 103 years. (not passing, but running around your teammate)

I expect to see many more set plays using this new rule interpretation too.

The one that sticks in my mind for obvious reasons - Mini's no try in the 04 GF - would that be a try under the new rule interpretation?

Last edited:

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Are any technical wiz's able to put up a gif of the try or does that breach a rule or two ?

I think it would be helpful to refresh everyone memory as to what happened.

For mine Farrah should have perhaps played to the whistle instead of running around with is arms in the air pretending to be a jumbo jet

Jason Maher

Immortal
It was a textbook shepherd, end of. But it didn't decide the game. Too many other crucial moments and plays for that to be the case.

As an aside, I hate the way the obstruction rule is currently written. Far too much grey for the video ref to play in.

Canard

Immortal
Thats like saying its the textbook definition of a unicorn.

There is NO such rule as a "sheperd", thats just made up playground stuff from when we were kids. Like playing cricket in the backyard at Mums, when any ball hit your legs it was LBW!

carcharias

Immortal
Why would we take down his statue? He earned it by being a fantastic player and servant for QRL. Not for being a mediocre commentator surrounded by Blues.

ey

he had fatty, Lockyer and Billy Slater there... in QLD ffs.

Hardly surrounded.

I dunno if it was a try or not, the rules must have changed.
To me it looked like Farrah was impeded as soon as Hodges ran behind his own player.......

I am not too worried....QLD's days are numbered.

They only managed to win by 1 point.

***MH***

Bench
I think B is the more important point. IMO Hodges gained an advantage from running behind his own player, that should have decided it was not try, poor defensive read or not.

International Laws of the Game, Section 15, Page 40.

The player who is in possession of the ball cannot be guilty of obstruction. He can make use of the goal posts to avoid a tackle, or dodge behind a ruck of his own players or bore a way through his own pack.

Hodges cannot be penalised in this incident as the ball carrier cannot be guilty of obstruction.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Ok, I was at the game and haven't watched this try in slow mo on tv yet but I think it was a fair try.

Just to people who think they're opening a can of worms with it being allowed...if it was called a shepard I feel that pretty much calls into question ANY decoy runners we have going through where a try is scored, and taking the defenders bad read out of the equation.

Again, I have to re-watch it, but my thoughts were bad read by defenders, TRY

Zoidberg

First Grade
I am not too worried....QLD's days are numbered.

7 series later.

Leaving the game the other night I felt bad for an older couple dressed in NSW gear (honestly) I just thought they might not live to see NSW win, that's a bit rude of me I know.

I think NSW may win next years series, but I think it will be harder for them to win 2 series in a row than it has been to win one again.

Titanic

First Grade
Top of the charts this week is Ricky Stuart and the NSWailers with their 2012 version of No Winners, No Cry ... thank heavens we don't have to read anymore from that louse until next year.

Cliffhanger

Coach
If it was a "no try" all the Maroons fans would be whinging.

You play what's in front of you, referees don't determine the outcomes of games.

Geohood

Bench
Ok, I was at the game and haven't watched this try in slow mo on tv yet but I think it was a fair try.

Just to people who think they're opening a can of worms with it being allowed...if it was called a shepard I feel that pretty much calls into question ANY decoy runners we have going through where a try is scored, and taking the defenders bad read out of the equation.

Again, I have to re-watch it, but my thoughts were bad read by defenders, TRY

It's usually with a pass to another player sweeping around. To me, using common sense in watching hundreds of games, you've never been able to run around your own decoy unless they were just standing still and weren't intentionally running as a decoy.

Thomas

First Grade
Hannant didn't interfere with a player who was in close proximity of the ball carrier. Therefore, it is a try. There is no way in hell Farah could have got within arm's reach of Hodges.

butchmcdick

Post Whore
Hannant didn't interfere with a player who was in close proximity of the ball carrier. Therefore, it is a try. There is no way in hell Farah could have got within arm's reach of Hodges.

he did try though throwing his arms in the air and wavin em round like he just don't care

Rod

Bench
People realise that in this sort of situation Hannant doesn't have to 'impede' the defensive line for it to be a penalty right? Apparently not.

Frank_Grimes

First Grade
People realise that in this sort of situation Hannant doesn't have to 'impede' the defensive line for it to be a penalty right? Apparently not.

The only way this would have been a penalty is if Hodges was judged to have gained advantage from running behind the path of Hannant. IMO he didn't.

The video ref and his boss share that opinion - in the end, the only ones who really matter as it's on the scoreboard with the tick of approval. The rest is just noise.

Thomas

First Grade
The only way this would have been a penalty is if Hodges was judged to have gained advantage from running behind the path of Hannant. IMO he didn't.

The video ref and his boss share that opinion - in the end, the only ones who really matter as it's on the scoreboard with the tick of approval. The rest is just noise.

Sweet, sweet noise.

Flabbergasted that some on here cant see any problem with it.

Once again one more time for the dummies. The real issue with what Hodges did relates to Carney. Carney makes a defensive decision to move up on Thurston because under the rule book Hodges has to pass to either Hannant or JT. Thus my moving up he leaves a hole into which Hodges runs into thus Hodges clearly gains an advantage from running behind his own teammate.

I agree with one poster on here who says that this now sets a dangerous precedent.