What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hohaia and 2006 halves

Lego_Man

First Grade
6. Fien
7. Hohaia

9. Mr X

Lance needs the support in the halves early on while he grows into the role. Ropati has no kicking game, and if the sole reliance was on Lance, who's kicking game is (currently) shaky at best, then i think that would create a few problems. Unless of course Ropo was to suddenly develop a good long kicking game/ability to put in accurate high balls etc. Fien offers a lot in the halves in terms of a kicking game to take the pressure off the halfback, i believe this outweighs his value as a dummy-half runner.

*The Sharks game was enough to convince me that Hohaia has the potential to be a decent halfback, and as a young, homegrown product is preferable to Fien in the 7 jersey. Im not saying Hohaia will be the next Stacey, i just think he's a local boy and should be given a chance to make the jersey his own.

ozbash

Referee
He hasn't played well in the #6 jersey. We keep on getting the same unforced handling errors and most of the tries he has scored have been opportunist courtesy of nzwazza

the short time he was in the #6 he went well and looked relaxed.
he worked very well with stace.

his handling errors were when he was fullback, he didnt have a clue and was basicaly thrown in the deep end with little support.

i will admit he is going well at center but i put that down to his natural play making ability which is something he can utilise at center.

with mannering showing us a glimpse of his talent, it would be a shame to see simon held out of his natural position by someone who is not natural in that place.

hohaia-9
fein-bench
stace-7
ropo-6

fein can cover those 3 spots and you still have hookers in latu,monty, louie anderson.

ozbash

Referee
i really dont see hohaia as a halfback, i dont think he,s quick enough mentally or physically

Jonah Lomu

Juniors
Assuming we don't buy anyone,i'd like our line up next season to be:

1:Brent Webb

2:Todd Byrne

3:Simon Manerring

4:Clinton Toopi

5:Manu Vatuvei

6:Jerome Ropati

7:Nathen Fien

8:Ruben Wiki

9:Lance Hohaia

10:Steve Price (C)

11:Louis Anderson

12:Wairangi Koopu

13:Sione Faumuina

14:Tevita Latu

15:Richard Villasanti

16:Franci Meli (second rower)

17:Karl Temata/Monty Betham

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
It's as simple as this, Mingster. Jerome Ropati isn't a stand off's arsehole. He hasn't played well in the #6 jersey. We keep on getting the same unforced handling errors and most of the tries he has scored have been opportunist. I genuinely feel that the Warriors need a 5/8 who has a decent kicking game and it's going to be even more necessary when Jones leaves. Jerome just doesn't have it.

But, to his credit, he has been playing very well at centre. His running game is really bothering the opposition. So I say, keep the little son of a bitch there, he's going great.

Ropati was first selected as a standoff.

I seriously doubt you have watched Ropati, except for his games at fullback. When was the last time we saw the same "unforced handling errors"? And opportunist tries? Come on, you are talking absolute garbage as usual. And by opportunist, do you mean going for a random chip over the top and somehow regathering it? Because if that is the case, that has never happened. Name some examples, instead of bleeding on about useless drivel.

Iafeta

Referee
In regards to Meli to the bench; earlier in the season, I was his, Awen Guttenbeil's, and Clinton Toopi's biggest critics. However, in regards to those three players, they have all seemingly lifted their standards severely over the past month, Toopi's been quite dynamic with ball in hand making a truckload of metres, Guttenbeil has basically been Steve Price when Price isn't there, and Meli is getting the job done. I had the priveledge of watching him from a few seats back last Sunday and I have to praise him for his cover defence. That was one of his biggest problems, being caught short in the line, but he played it really well on the weekend.

As for Fien to the bench; Ozbash, only you could think of something like that :) Price to the bench for Te Mata too bro? :)

As for Ropo, he has been a complete and utter revelation in the centres. He reminds me a lot of Shaun Berrigan as a matter of fact, terrific running half, slightly short in organisational/direction skills, left to their own devices to use their best skills out wider and working a treat. 7 Hohaia - he showed enough v the Sharks to suggest he could go well there, his kicking game for mine has also improved this year, his game v the Sharks reminded me of how well he went at halfback while Stacey was injured for 2 games in 2002, 6 Fien - starting to really click with the outside backs and the best kicking game in the team, 9: ? I really thought Tevita Latu would step up, but himself and Hame Lauaki are the epitomy of Warriors let downs in 2005. Those two boys need a good solid kick up the backside, so much potential, so badly wasted by ill discipline and lack of concentration.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
THE MINGSTER said:
Ropati was first selected as a standoff.

I seriously doubt you have watched Ropati, except for his games at fullback. When was the last time we saw the same "unforced handling errors"? And opportunist tries? Come on, you are talking absolute garbage as usual. And by opportunist, do you mean going for a random chip over the top and somehow regathering it? Because if that is the case, that has never happened. Name some examples, instead of bleeding on about useless drivel.

Bitch, please. I haven't missed a Warriors game since their inception. I can assure you I've seen all 15 of the games Ropati has played in. I said most of his tries were opportunist. He's scored 3 tries and I'm pretty f**king sure 2 of them were diving on a ball when it was grubbered in-goal. I can't recollect the chip & regather one you speak of, but I know he scored a try against the Broncos where he actually ran the ball.

He's just got to cut the silly errors out of his game. And he has been doing that at centre. I'm sure Kemp knows what he's doing and it was a great call to move Ropati into the centres. Here's hoping he doesn't return to the #6 jersey until he's good and ready, sometime in the middle of next season, I reckon.

See, I didn't put down any of your arguments and slander them. I just simply offered up opinions based on facts. And I only called you bitch as a term of endearment. Can't we all just get along and accept that Ropati is a sh*tty stand off???

NZ Warrior

First Grade
ozbash said:
He hasn't played well in the #6 jersey. We keep on getting the same unforced handling errors and most of the tries he has scored have been opportunist courtesy of nzwazza

the short time he was in the #6 he went well and looked relaxed.
he worked very well with stace.

his handling errors were when he was fullback, he didnt have a clue and was basicaly thrown in the deep end with little support.

i will admit he is going well at center but i put that down to his natural play making ability which is something he can utilise at center.

with mannering showing us a glimpse of his talent, it would be a shame to see simon held out of his natural position by someone who is not natural in that place.

hohaia-9
fein-bench
stace-7
ropo-6

fein can cover those 3 spots and you still have hookers in latu,monty, louie anderson.

Ozbash, I reckon a cow's kicked ya in the side of the head. You can't put Fien on the Bench. Put Ropati on the bench (or drop him) and I shall be appeased.

I still think Hohaia will make a great Halfback and is the obvious choice when The Lil' General goes.

Auckland4ever

Juniors
da mad maori said:
"The Word"
Hohaia = 9
Fien = 7
Ropati = 6

Out of what we've got to play with, thats the ideal setup for me.
Out of the brief time Ropati's had at standoff for the Warriors, he's put more players into holes with a nicely timed pass than I can remember Hohaia managing in his whole Warriors career. I just dont think Lance has the finesse or vision to be a standout at either 6 or 7, but his strengths suit the 9 position to a tee & he's doing a great job there. Why would anyone want to shift him?

ozbash

Referee
I really thought Tevita Latu would step up,

theres another quality player who is being disciplined by leaving him out of the team.
he is being penalised for his enthusiasm,

if there was 1 player in the team i think could handle being switched around, its fein.
thats why i see his value on the bench.

price doesnt strike me as being such a great buy now, bit like buying a ferrari with a siezed motor...

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
Bitch, please. I haven't missed a Warriors game since their inception. I can assure you I've seen all 15 of the games Ropati has played in. I said most of his tries were opportunist. He's scored 3 tries and I'm pretty f**king sure 2 of them were diving on a ball when it was grubbered in-goal. I can't recollect the chip & regather one you speak of, but I know he scored a try against the Broncos where he actually ran the ball.

He's just got to cut the silly errors out of his game. And he has been doing that at centre. I'm sure Kemp knows what he's doing and it was a great call to move Ropati into the centres. Here's hoping he doesn't return to the #6 jersey until he's good and ready, sometime in the middle of next season, I reckon.

See, I didn't put down any of your arguments and slander them. I just simply offered up opinions based on facts. And I only called you bitch as a term of endearment. Can't we all just get along and accept that Ropati is a sh*tty stand off???

The fact that you have to resort to players with expletives is rather childish to say the least.

Oh, so scoring a try through a grubber kick is now opportunist? Most of the tries scored in League are from kicks.

The silly errors you refer to were at fullback, where he struggled with the high ball.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
THE MINGSTER said:
The fact that you have to resort to players with expletives is rather childish to say the least.

Oh, so scoring a try through a grubber kick is now opportunist? Most of the tries scored in League are from kicks.

The silly errors you refer to were at fullback, where he struggled with the high ball.

Come on now, I like swearing. There's nothing childish about it.

A grubber in goal, come on, what's not opportunist about it??? Unless it's a set play to a winger, it's basically anyone's try if it's well weighted.

I think I know what silly errors I'm referring to, and Ropati was at 5/8 when most of them occured. I'm talking about the blatant dropped balls one out from the scrums, the silly passes and the indecision in plays.

Look, I've never known any people to take such offence at another great individual's criticism of a player. Maybe it's just because you can't bring yourself to staring directly into the eyes of the truth and have it stare soulessly back at you.

Ropati is really developing at centre and who knows, maybe some day he will become just like the other great ones such as Fittler & Daly, a legendary stand off. But that day won't happen any time between now and the middle of next season. Or something even more shocking will happen, he will become a great CENTRE!!!! :shock:

NZ Warrior

First Grade
See, I didn't swear once in that post.........................................................................................................................................................................................................................................f**k.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
ozbash said:
I really thought Tevita Latu would step up,

theres another quality player who is being disciplined by leaving him out of the team.
he is being penalised for his enthusiasm,

if there was 1 player in the team i think could handle being switched around, its fein.
thats why i see his value on the bench.

price doesnt strike me as being such a great buy now, bit like buying a ferrari with a siezed motor...

Haha, great stuff. Seriously though, I think Latu should cut down on the crack.

Skinner

Coach
NZ Warrior said:
Come on now, I like swearing. There's nothing childish about it.

A grubber in goal, come on, what's not opportunist about it??? Unless it's a set play to a winger, it's basically anyone's try if it's well weighted.

I think I know what silly errors I'm referring to, and Ropati was at 5/8 when most of them occured. I'm talking about the blatant dropped balls one out from the scrums, the silly passes and the indecision in plays.

Look, I've never known any people to take such offence at another great individual's criticism of a player. Maybe it's just because you can't bring yourself to staring directly into the eyes of the truth and have it stare soulessly back at you.

Ropati is really developing at centre and who knows, maybe some day he will become just like the other great ones such as Fittler & Daly, a legendary stand off. But that day won't happen any time between now and the middle of next season. Or something even more shocking will happen, he will become a great CENTRE!!!! :shock:

BOLLOCKS

THE MINGSTER

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:

I think if you tried reading other's posts properly it will lessen the abuse hurled towards you. I never said Ropati should be the standoff starting now till the end of the season. I only said he was a definite option at five-eighth next year.

The fact that I have taken such offence is because your posts are so ridiculous.

I agree with Skinner's critical anaylsis of NZ Warriors' post - bollocks - because that horrendous post only deserved one word in reply.