What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hohaia and 2006 halves

ozbash

Referee
i think latu is the most under rated member of the warriors squad, its a coaching thing with tevita, someones got to harness his energy and enthusiasm and set him on the right track.

i thing the warriors coaching staff are letting latu down big time.

Iafeta

Referee
And someone's got to have a PHD in brain surgery to correct his idioticy in continually trying to "be the man" in going high and either connecting or falling off, or running from dummy half 5 metres out when the line is spread and stacked, or being caught offside religiously or needlessly, and ALWAYS being found out by the ref's lying in the ruck.

Seriously, I was one of the bloke's biggest fans at the beginning of the season, but I seriously hope 2005 is just a season to forget and not a guide to ongoing on field immaturity. He has the wheels to be as explosive as Craig Wing, but you can say that about any number of our players - Iafeta Paleaaesina has the power to be as dominant as Shane Webcke, Francis Meli when on song has the ability to be as dominant as Lote Tuqiri was, Brent Webb at his best was as good as cutie (in 2003 - so long ago, oh so long ago - at least he makes me think of that great Kiwi band Herbs), Lauaki has the explosiveness of Paleaaesina and the ball play ability somewhere of Lauitiiti, Faumuina for mine could be the best back rower in the game bar Sonny Bill, Manu Vatuvei could be as dominant as Tuqiri was, Toopi at his peak is as good as any centre in the NRL - the problem is, none of these boys can perservere for it beyond a month, and then it drops off for a year or two. This is the difference between us, and them. They're mentally strong enough to keep going, our boys have it, but can't keep it going and are happy enough to get in a rut and stay there instead of work their way out of it.

I'd take Steve Price/Ruben Wiki over all those blokes any day of the week, never going to be as great now as those guys could potentially be, but week in, week out you'll get 30 tackles and 150 metres from them.

Still, to their advantage, they've got infinitely more going for them then Monty Betham and Karl Te Mata (and to an extent Evarn Tuimavave), who never have had it, and never will, and in fairness don't their spots in this football team.

ThrashViking

Juniors
NZ Warrior said:
TV's threatening to kill my beloved pets, watcha gonna do!!!!!

Come on, mate. Lighten up, please. For the love of God & OWN3RSHIP™©®, lighten up!!!!
Dont tempt me, i'm one kvlt mother f**ker
blackmetalmini4ay1bm.gif

Skinner

Coach
Iafeta said:
And someone's got to have a PHD in brain surgery to correct his idioticy in continually trying to "be the man" in going high and either connecting or falling off, or running from dummy half 5 metres out when the line is spread and stacked, or being caught offside religiously or needlessly, and ALWAYS being found out by the ref's lying in the ruck.

Seriously, I was one of the bloke's biggest fans at the beginning of the season, but I seriously hope 2005 is just a season to forget and not a guide to ongoing on field immaturity. He has the wheels to be as explosive as Craig Wing, but you can say that about any number of our players - Iafeta Paleaaesina has the power to be as dominant as Shane Webcke, Francis Meli when on song has the ability to be as dominant as Lote Tuqiri was, Brent Webb at his best was as good as cutie (in 2003 - so long ago, oh so long ago - at least he makes me think of that great Kiwi band Herbs), Lauaki has the explosiveness of Paleaaesina and the ball play ability somewhere of Lauitiiti, Faumuina for mine could be the best back rower in the game bar Sonny Bill, Manu Vatuvei could be as dominant as Tuqiri was, Toopi at his peak is as good as any centre in the NRL - the problem is, none of these boys can perservere for it beyond a month, and then it drops off for a year or two. This is the difference between us, and them. They're mentally strong enough to keep going, our boys have it, but can't keep it going and are happy enough to get in a rut and stay there instead of work their way out of it.

I'd take Steve Price/Ruben Wiki over all those blokes any day of the week, never going to be as great now as those guys could potentially be, but week in, week out you'll get 30 tackles and 150 metres from them.

Still, to their advantage, they've got infinitely more going for them then Monty Betham and Karl Te Mata (and to an extent Evarn Tuimavave), who never have had it, and never will, and in fairness don't their spots in this football team.

I think, Iafeta, you said it all here :

"the problem is, none of these boys can perservere for it beyond a month, and then it drops off for a year or two. This is the difference between us, and them. They're mentally strong enough to keep going, our boys have it, but can't keep it going and are happy enough to get in a rut and stay there instead of work their way out of it"

.....and why do you think this is. It is, quite simply, coaching. It is instilling
the overwhelming desire to succeed. The most effective coaches in the world, in any code, will tell you the same thing ; if the team has the hunger,
they will win...every time.

Problem is...there's not enough effective coaches to go around.

Cheers
Skinner

mattyj

Juniors
If there one thing that Sonny, Benji, Hunt, Asotasi and Co. have proved in the past year or so it is that it is NOT part of the Maori and Pacific islander mentalty to be brilliant one moment and Soft the next.

That is thrown around as an excuse very time a Warriors player lacks consistency. What more of an excuse do the above players need to be hot and cold? They are Maori and/or pacific Islander, young and inexperienced, and they have all the expectation of the NRL community upon them. But yet they perform like seasoned pro's week in and week out. And they are coached by Australians whom you would think have less experience in dealing with Young Kiwi kids than the current Warriors mob.

It is mentality and professionalism and not ability or genetics that our current mob lack. Which is a shame because that is one part of sport that you can change with the right people around you.

Iafeta

Referee
Skinner said:
I think, Iafeta, you said it all here :

"the problem is, none of these boys can perservere for it beyond a month, and then it drops off for a year or two. This is the difference between us, and them. They're mentally strong enough to keep going, our boys have it, but can't keep it going and are happy enough to get in a rut and stay there instead of work their way out of it"

.....and why do you think this is. It is, quite simply, coaching. It is instilling
the overwhelming desire to succeed. The most effective coaches in the world, in any code, will tell you the same thing ; if the team has the hunger,
they will win...every time.

Problem is...there's not enough effective coaches to go around.

Cheers
Skinner

You think?

None of:-

John Monie: Infinite premierships with Wigan, success with Parramatta
Mark Graham: Kiwis reverred walking talking icon
Frank Endacott: Kiwis coach of the day
Daniel Anderson: Showing himself to be a good coach at Saints again
Tony Kemp: Personally think he's an honest customer, which is something I rate highly and I know his two leuitenants in Campo and Ives have a positive impact on the guys too having proved it prior on field

Have got the club performing.

We've been in the comp 11 years now, with a mass of different coaches.

Surely the players somewhere along the line have to take some responsibility?

NZ Warrior

First Grade
Chill, motherf**ker!!!! What is the origins of "kvlt" anyway. Is it like "cult"??? I've never heard or seen the word before.

Are Immortal anything like American Head Charge or are they more like Slipknot???

ThrashViking

Juniors
No, they are not anything even remotley like Slipknot or American Head Charge.
Black metal not nu-metal.
Kvlt is like being grym and nekro, y'know - burning churches n sh*t.

NZ Warrior

First Grade
That's pretty f**king dark of you, man. But if you dig that stuff, then all the power to ya. Sarcophilus satanicus, man.

ThrashViking

Juniors
mattyj said:
If there one thing that Sonny, Benji, Hunt, Asotasi and Co. have proved in the past year or so it is that it is NOT part of the Maori and Pacific islander mentalty to be brilliant one moment and Soft the next.

That is thrown around as an excuse very time a Warriors player lacks consistency. What more of an excuse do the above players need to be hot and cold? They are Maori and/or pacific Islander, young and inexperienced, and they have all the expectation of the NRL community upon them. But yet they perform like seasoned pro's week in and week out. And they are coached by Australians whom you would think have less experience in dealing with Young Kiwi kids than the current Warriors mob.

It is mentality and professionalism and not ability or genetics that our current mob lack. Which is a shame because that is one part of sport that you can change with the right people around you.
Back on fn topic!
I totally agree.I think the Warriors environment is making a couple of players far too comfortable and complacent. It's a positive thing to develop players within the local system, but they have to be given the impression that playing first grade is a sacred opportunity that should not be approached lightly just because the pay is so good , especially for the young Polynesian kids coming out of Auckland's lower income suburbs that make up most of the Warriors developmental squad. I think the Kiwi players resettling in Australia have been subject to a far more harsh but effective coaching discipline that does not tolerate the ramshackle football the Warriors so often display.
Take Francis Meli for example - when was the last time he actually looked like he was passionate about winning on the field? Sterlo said on the Sunday Footy Show a few weeks back that the fact that he still starts every Warriors game is a total joke and I agree. I guarantee if the Warriors offloaded him cheap to the reserve grade Bulldogs he'd be given some harsh and much needed lessons in the nature of the professional game - with an approriately cut salary to boot.

ozbash

Referee
Take Francis Meli for example - when was the last time he actually looked like he was passionate about winning on the field? Sterlo said on the Sunday Footy Show a few weeks back that the fact that he still starts every Warriors game is a total joke and I agree. I guarantee if the Warriors offloaded him cheap to the reserve grade Bulldogs he'd be given some harsh and much needed lessons in the nature of the professional game - with an approriately cut salary to boot.

thats what i like about guys like latu, faumuina. they are as keen as it gets.

Iafeta

Referee
ThrashViking said:
Back on fn topic!
I totally agree.I think the Warriors environment is making a couple of players far too comfortable and complacent. It's a positive thing to develop players within the local system, but they have to be given the impression that playing first grade is a sacred opportunity that should not be approached lightly just because the pay is so good , especially for the young Polynesian kids coming out of Auckland's lower income suburbs that make up most of the Warriors developmental squad. I think the Kiwi players resettling in Australia have been subject to a far more harsh but effective coaching discipline that does not tolerate the ramshackle football the Warriors so often display.

He said that?

Shows how much of an input he's having with the club... NOT! Lets pay $50,000 to Sterlo for a phone hook up once a week and not listen to him and then not have any money to buy players with... choice work, Micky baby.

Manu Vatuvei

Coach
Iafeta said:
He has the wheels to be as explosive as Craig Wing, but you can say that about any number of our players - Iafeta Paleaaesina has the power to be as dominant as Shane Webcke, Francis Meli when on song has the ability to be as dominant as Lote Tuqiri was, Brent Webb at his best was as good as cutie (in 2003 - so long ago, oh so long ago - at least he makes me think of that great Kiwi band Herbs), Lauaki has the explosiveness of Paleaaesina and the ball play ability somewhere of Lauitiiti, Faumuina for mine could be the best back rower in the game bar Sonny Bill, Manu Vatuvei could be as dominant as Tuqiri was, Toopi at his peak is as good as any centre in the NRL - the problem is, none of these boys can perservere for it beyond a month, and then it drops off for a year or two. This is the difference between us, and them. They're mentally strong enough to keep going, our boys have it, but can't keep it going and are happy enough to get in a rut and stay there instead of work their way out of it.

I think that you think that our players are better than they are.

Every team in the NRL has players as talented as ours. For some reason, whenever a brown guy comes into first grade everyone assumes he is amazingly talented, then criticizes him for being lazy and inconsistent when it turns out that he isn't.

Looking at the rosters of all of the NRL clubs I would place us in about the middle, if not slightly lower, for pure talent. Maybe when some of you accept that all Polynesians are not necessarily born rugby league champions, we will all become a bit more reasonable in our criticism of them.

If Clinton Toopi has the potential to be the best centre in the NRL then I'll chew off both my arms (unluckily for you all, it's not gonna happen.) Since when did average size, average speed, terrible ball-handling skills, no vision, no passing ability, dreadful defence, and an ability to sidestep on the spot, translate into world class talent?

As for Meli, have you ever even seen him smile? His demeanour has been the same for every game since 1999 so I don't know how you can tell that he doesn't care (especially when there is nothing wrong with his form right now.)