What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Home Finals in PL

Jeffles

Bench
This one topic I am concerned about.

Since the Jets are having (finally) a good year, I don't think it is too early for me to bring up a PL home final debate.

Now, there is a precedent for this. Canterbury were thrashed by Wests at Belmore the year they got 37 points chopped off in the NRL. But for the mosyt part, PL finals are lumped together with an NRL fixture. Usually they try and line up at least one club (eg. I saw a Penrith v Canterbury Reserve grade final at NSO in 1998 before Norths played the Bulldogs in the NRL). The problem is this may deprive a club of home ground advantage in PL if their NRL team has an away final.

I'd love for Newtown to get a home final in PL and JBC (week one of the JBC finals lines up with the Newtown Jets Reunion Day game v Souths).

What do you guys think? Is it too much to organise a home final for PL?

yappy

Bench
It should be an option. Some clubs like Parra don't give a toss, but clubs like the Jets, and Wests (as if we're going to have to worry about it) would certainly love the home final stand alone and should have the option if they've earned it. Even if only for the first round of finals. That day at Belmore was a cracker, winning 52-4 helped of course, but there were a couple of thousand there and the atmosphere was great because everyone was there to see either the dogs or magpies. When everyone is there for someone else it's not much chop.

roopy

Referee
Newcastle will probably make the PL finals, but have no chance in firstgrade.
I think they would have a decent chance of getting a 10,000 crowd for a final game - especially if a Flegg final was played as well.
It would be a great day of footy.

Jeffles

Bench
Of course it would.

The game at Belmore clashed with a Bulldogs fan day. Still, a huge event.

Newtown could get 3000 to a home final. My worry is that if the Sharks get a home final, we'd be forced over there. No thanks!

Fanny Batter

Juniors
jeffles i hopw u get it cos id watch it at henson but not at shark park - i think lots of other ppl wouldnt bother if it was at shark park its not the same as henson

imagine if my norths had a home semi at nso.would b brilliant.

girvie

Staff member
I think that there is only home ground advantage for the first week of the finals. Then i think all matches are played at Aussie or Telstra Stadium.

Jeffles

Bench
You are right Girvie.

But the principle of a consistently applied home final is damn important to me.