What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#Home-ground dilemma as Eels look to move Nathn Hindmarsh's farewell to ANZ Stadium

Parra Pride

Referee
880315-nathan-hindmarsh.jpg

Parramatta legend Nathan Hindmarsh. Picture: Gregg Porteous Source: The Daily Telegraph

IT'S the emotive farewell that is sure to reignite debate over the importance of suburban spirituality.

Should Eels great Nathan Hindmarsh exit the stage at his home for the past 15 seasons, Parramatta Stadium?

Or should the going away party be thrown at ANZ Stadium to accommodate a 50,000-strong invite list?

That's the dilemma facing Parramatta, who have made secret inquiries about shifting the round 26 blockbuster against St George Illawarra to Homebush Bay.

Eels officials approached ANZ Stadium late last month to initiate discussions about giving Hindmarsh the biggest possible goodbye.They believe the 318-game warhorse could comfortably match Hazem El Masri's memorable farewell at the same venue in 2010.

With all NRL club members granted free entry, almost 45,000 fans flocked to ANZ Stadium to honour the Bulldogs flanker.

Eels boss Bob Bentley wants to replicate that occasion, but cannot to do so at the club's 19,000-capacity stadium.

Parramatta have already committed two home matches to ANZ Stadium this season - Canterbury in round nine and next Saturday night's clash against Souths.

The initial proposal was to swap the Rabbitohs and Dragons games to ensure the agreement to play 10 games at Parramatta Stadium was honoured. But there was not enough time to move the Souths game, meaning Parramatta Stadium Trust must now be persuaded to give up its biggest fixture in years.

Bentley was unavailable for comment last night.

But chairman Roy Spagnolo confirmed the club's desire to attract a huge crowd.

"It's something we've talked about," Spagnolo said. "An occasion like that could draw 50,000 people."ALRC operations boss Nathan McGuirk was aware of Parramatta's plans.

"We won't get involved," McGuirk said. "That's between the Eels and the venues.

"But we'll support whatever they choose to do."

MEANWHILE, there was heavy speculation that Parramatta had missed another recruitment target in Manly prop Darcy Lussick.

The Eels have made a three-year offer worth $750,000 to Lussick, who has been waiting for Manly teammates Kieran Foran and Tony Williams to decide their futures. Williams' defection to Canterbury has enabled the Sea Eagles to this week make a more handsome two-year offer - albeit still less than Parramatta's.

Insiders at Brookvale were last night adamant that Lussick had agreed to stay for less out of loyalty to his teammates.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...l-to-anz-stadium/story-e6frexnr-1226389494708

No way should it be at ANZ, he should be farewelled at Parra just as Cayless was.

#DeadSetDisgraceIfTheyMoveIt

mrt_spec

Juniors
+1 Parramatta stadium.

If we ever become a fake team like Souths/Bulldogs then sure, move it then.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
Why wasn't this all worked out when the draw was done? Hindmarsh had decided to retire. Seems silly to be leaving it this late. A bit of forward planning needed.

Tony Bongo

Bench
Why wasn't this all worked out when the draw was done? Hindmarsh had decided to retire. Seems silly to be leaving it this late. A bit of forward planning needed.

It was. The club requested that the last round be a home game before the draw was done. I would make sure it was Hindy's decision where he has his last game. The board should simply ask him where he wants it to be and make it happen.

strider

Post Whore
It was. The club requested that the last round be a home game before the draw was done. I would make sure it was Hindy's decision where he has his last game. The board should simply ask him where he wants it to be and make it happen.

:thumn .... and every fan should then respect whatever he decides

Kornstar

Coach
As if the Parramatta fans will bother to turn up for Hindy's farewell!

He deserves to fill ANZ but will probably barely get half of Parra Stadium if we are playing shit at the time

#ficklefans

woodyk2

First Grade
I reckon it should be Hindmarsh's decision.The bloke deserves to have a say.

strider

Post Whore
As if the Parramatta fans will bother to turn up for Hindy's farewell!

He deserves to fill ANZ but will probably barely get half of Parra Stadium if we are playing shit at the time

#ficklefans

i don't agree .... parra fans will flock to it regardless ... don't know if they will get many from other clubs tho

i actually think we are pulling surprisingly decent crowds given how shit we are going - last monday was decent and nearly all of them were parra fans (there weren't many sharks fans there) ..... sure it will drop off a bit later in the year if we keep going crap, but i would have expected it to have died off alot more already

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I know why it wasn't organized earlier. We wouldn't have thought R26 would be his last game. I guess we've now conceded.

Tommy Coco

Juniors
Not usually for taking any of our home games to ANZ, but this is the exception for mine. He'd easily get the 45000 and that type of crowd at ANZ is fairly big so it would be an awesome event.

The plus is we could have a final game at Parra, final away game and the final FINAL game at ANZ, with sentiment on side we could expect 3 more wins too!!!!

Maybe they could chuck him in to SOO three and it could be Hindy's final SOO game to clinche the series...? (Obviously we win next Wednesday first)

TheParraboy

Staff member
f**K this brings tears to my eyes, only half a season to go for the ultimate Parraboy in Hindy

I wouldnt care if the game was played in Mumbai, Ill be there

The Colonel

Immortal
He should get the same send off as El Masri in front if as many fans as possible. Open the gates and let them farewell a true warrrior of the game. His first game was in Parkes. It doesn't truly matter where his last will be.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
He should get the same send off as El Masri in front if as many fans as possible. Open the gates and let them farewell a true warrrior of the game. His first game was in Parkes. It doesn't truly matter where his last will be.
Agree 100%.

Kornstar

Coach
i don't agree .... parra fans will flock to it regardless ... don't know if they will get many from other clubs tho

i actually think we are pulling surprisingly decent crowds given how shit we are going - last monday was decent and nearly all of them were parra fans (there weren't many sharks fans there) ..... sure it will drop off a bit later in the year if we keep going crap, but i would have expected it to have died off alot more already

How big was the crowd for Cayless? I remember it being embarrassing, considering he was supposedly much loved and was our record breaking captain!

Considering he has won the Peoples choice several times, you would think he should get double what Elmasri got.......with no disrespect to Elmasri either!

strider

Post Whore
How big was the crowd for Cayless? I remember it being embarrassing, considering he was supposedly much loved and was our record breaking captain!

Considering he has won the Peoples choice several times, you would think he should get double what Elmasri got.......with no disrespect to Elmasri either!

caylo isn't hindy

Kornstar

Coach
caylo isn't hindy

100% agree, I never really rated him but he used to get the second biggest cheer from the crowd behind Hindy and got f%*^ all to his last game.........

I guess I just don't trust Eels fans to honor Hindy the way he deserves, if we are playing shit at the end of the season.......I actually fear how embarrassing it could be for one of the all time greats of this club!

Latest posts