What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

#Home-ground dilemma as Eels look to move Nathn Hindmarsh's farewell to ANZ Stadium

Eels Dude

Coach
Hindy made his first grade debut at Parkes against the Adelaide Rams. But does anyone remember the name of the Rams' home ground in Adelaide at the time? That would be more than fitting for his last game.

Eels Dude

Coach
That's right. You know a player is special when they have a football oval named after them before they were even born.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
No, I prefer it at Parramatta Stadium. He's played his whole career at Parramatta Stadium and should leave it there.

Parra Pride

Referee
He knows the NRL won't let us play the Grand Final at Parra.

EDIT: That article doesn't actually say its at ANZ.

#SmartChoice

oldmancraigy

Coach
And if we've got a smart marketing department, we can push the round 23 games as the 'final chance' to see Hindy play at Parra stadium.

Coincidentally it's a game against the coach who brought him into first grade! (vs Roosters).

We'd sell that out as well.

Gronk

Staff member
wouldnt be suprised if we get 60k plus to this

I think it depends if we are playing good footy or not. We need to be a chance to win it to really get a good crowd. If we are going to get 30 put on us, we'll struggle notwithstanding the occasion IMO.

The Omen

Juniors
all that matters is that we members keep our allocated (HOME) seats at ANZ for the match and then let the NRL sell off the rest

or would the NRL turn around and make it a Members sell off first like the Finals then open to the public ...
Possible money making idea the NRL would pull on fans

oldmancraigy

Coach
I think it depends if we are playing good footy or not. We need to be a chance to win it to really get a good crowd. If we are going to get 30 put on us, we'll struggle notwithstanding the occasion IMO.

Don't mean to be rude, but no matter how crap we're playing, we won't have 30 put on us that day.

(1) It's the dragons. They'll do well to score 30 points between now and that round.

(2) It's an "event". Any team would fire up in a final home game to send out a club legend.

The only gripe I have with the scheduling is that we don't know when the game is. Would love to go to it, really wouldn't hurt the goons to let us know when it will be.
(I'm predicting Sunday afternoon footy - but we'll see).

Mr_E

Juniors
I'm OK with it going to ANZ, so long as there are not a million free tickets given away. As a season ticket holder I have paid for that game as part of my ticketed membership, so won't be happy if some band wagoners and nuffies get freebies. Would be OK however if the season ticket holders were compensated in some other way though, as yes we need to get a HUGE crowd for Hindy's send off.

Eels Dude

Coach
Don't mean to be rude, but no matter how crap we're playing, we won't have 30 put on us that day.

(1) It's the dragons. They'll do well to score 30 points between now and that round.

(2) It's an "event". Any team would fire up in a final home game to send out a club legend.

The only gripe I have with the scheduling is that we don't know when the game is. Would love to go to it, really wouldn't hurt the goons to let us know when it will be.
(I'm predicting Sunday afternoon footy - but we'll see).

As much as I'd like to agree with that I doubt it'd be the case. Penrith put 40 points on remember so it's highly possible the Dragons can too if they have a good week.

Do you remember Caylo's last game? We played terrible though it was nice to see him get a try at the end, but overall we got lapped and rightfully so. Hopefully the team puts in a better effort for Hindy but I wouldn't be surprised if we got lapped again.

Hopefully it is a Sunday arvo game and a fitting farewell for a club legend, playing in front of a huge crowd.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
all that matters is that we members keep our allocated (HOME) seats at ANZ for the match and then let the NRL sell off the rest

or would the NRL turn around and make it a Members sell off first like the Finals then open to the public ...
Possible money making idea the NRL would pull on fans

Well because it was originally at Parramatta, we season ticket holders should already have an allocated seat, same seats as this weekend.

oldmancraigy

Coach
Do you remember Caylo's last game? We played terrible though it was nice to see him get a try at the end, but overall we got lapped and rightfully so. Hopefully the team puts in a better effort for Hindy but I wouldn't be surprised if we got lapped again.

I think I remember season 2010 a little bit too well...

From memory we were in the hunt for the 8 with 3 rounds to go. We lost to the Tigers in round 24, which meant that it was pretty well impossible for us to make it unless results went our way.
We lost the following week, which effectively ended our season mathematically, and then the team rolled over and died in the last round (kind of a natural thing to happen the week after you get eliminated).

Sure, you might get annoyed that they couldn't fire up for Caylo's last game, but they'd been trying to fire up for the last month with mixed results, and quitters like Mateo and Inu were always unlikely to fire for that game anyway.

Hindmarsh is held in far greater esteem than Cayless ever was - you'd imagine the boys would have no problem firing up to send him out a winner no matter what had happened the week before.

Take the Broncos as an example: they were desperate to send Lockyer out a winner. I'm sure they'd want to do the same for Corey Parker when the time rolled around, but one might suspect their ability to fire up for Lockyer would greatly exceed their ability to fire up for Parker (Hindy = Lockyer, Cayless = Parker)

Gronk

Staff member
So it looks like the "last" game for Hindy will be the Roosters game (Rnd 23) at Parra Stadium and then the Dragons game (Rnd 26) will be shifted to ANZ.

Hands up who think that the club are thinking about the gate takings rather than the obvious.

PARRAMATTA champion Nathan Hindmarsh is poised to finish his remarkable playing career in front of a crowd of more than 40,000.

The Daily Telegraph can reveal plans have re-surfaced for Hindmarsh to play his final game of NRL in round 26 at ANZ Stadium.

Parramatta and Hindmarsh are ready to switch the match against St George Illawarra from Parramatta Stadium to the Sydney Olympic Park venue.

It means Hindmarsh would now play his last match at Parramatta Stadium in round 23 against the Sydney Roosters. Parramatta management could release details of the venue switch as early as today.

Shifting round 26 to ANZ Stadium would give Hindmarsh two farewell games and allow a massive crowd to farewell the champion forward. Canterbury hero Hazem El Masri was afforded a similar honour at ANZ Stadium in 2009.

More than 40,000 fans attended that memorable game.
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...e-to-anz-stadium/story-e6frfgbo-1226434176960

Last edited:

Latest posts