What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hookers for 2014

Starting and Bench Hooker for 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaMightyDragons

Juniors
One of the most controversial topics of this forum has been the debate on who the dragons should have as their hookers. This thread will be DEDICATED to discussing the hooker battle between a number of viable candidates. There will also be a poll running, where you can vote for which 2 hookers you think should be in the dragons best 17 for 2014. Enjoy and banter wisely!

BennyV

Referee
Is that who it will be or who it should be? Rein will start the year obviously, and I hope Quinlan gets the bench utility spot. I also hope Garvey gets plenty of chances during the year to get game time, because he will overtake Rein fairly quickly unless Rein lifts his game...

For 20s, I didn't mind Rigg last year, tackles hard and runs like a prop, but not sure how well his passing holds up. Didnt see much of Harris or didn't notice, how does he go?

TruSaint

Referee
My gut says they will start with Rein as per BV.
Time will tell if he keeps his spot cause i have huge wraps on Garvey.

DaMightyDragons

Juniors
Is that who it will be or who it should be? Rein will start the year obviously, and I hope Quinlan gets the bench utility spot. I also hope Garvey gets plenty of chances during the year to get game time, because he will overtake Rein fairly quickly unless Rein lifts his game...

For 20s, I didn't mind Rigg last year, tackles hard and runs like a prop, but not sure how well his passing holds up. Didnt see much of Harris or didn't notice, how does he go?

It is who it SHOULD be

cleary89

Coach
Guy in my team is good mates with Cam King. Reckons he's lost 5kg already in the Townsville head.

TheRev

First Grade
Without King/Cook, its now 1000x easier to pick the hooker rotation.

Rein will start, and ill be annoyed if Garvey or Quinlan isnt on the bench getting minutes.. these 3 would be my first choice of hookers, 1 to cover injury.

There actually is noone else though, if we get 2 injuries, we will need to now try out a new kid or get creative, all our depth is gone.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I hear Groat has lost a stack of weight in the hope of shifting to the no.9 jersey..

jenninga

First Grade

Would like Quinlan to get a bench spot also, he adds something different,backing up players also, something we should do more often for 2nd phases.
Could be the perfect replacement for Fien.

BrissyRedV

Bench
If quinlan can improve his tackling he would make that perfect bench utility. His adaptability, speed and back up play are all highlights of his game and coming in when the opposition is tired and he is fresh would be a sight to see. It's funny on this very forum he was written off as too small for 1st grade just 6 months ago.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Rein has copped some criticism which I feel is pretty harsh. It was not his best season but he tried his guts out. It probably was a case of 2nd year syndrome. Seen that plenty of times to many great players. It's not as if Barba was anything special last season in his 2nd full year of first grade. Rein will come good....I hope.

Has Quinlan played hooker before? How is his defence? In attack Quinlan will be great but what about defence and having these big boppers run at him all game. I would love to have Quinlan in teh squad but not in a position which he is not use to so he can get judged harshly and then criticised e.g Prior

Price will probably try his best buddy Au Mau...

jenninga

First Grade
Rein has copped some criticism which I feel is pretty harsh. It was not his best season but he tried his guts out. It probably was a case of 2nd year syndrome. Seen that plenty of times to many great players. It's not as if Barba was anything special last season in his 2nd full year of first grade. Rein will come good....I hope.

Has Quinlan played hooker before? How is his defence? In attack Quinlan will be great but what about defence and having these big boppers run at him all game. I would love to have Quinlan in teh squad but not in a position which he is not use to so he can get judged harshly and then criticised e.g Prior

Price will probably try his best buddy Au Mau...

Quinlan's first game at fullback showed us how tough he is and not afraid to mix it.He's a good player,hope he can fit into the 17 somehow.

64 Dragon

Coach
There actually is noone else though, if we get 2 injuries, we will need to now try out a new kid or get creative, all our depth is gone.

All Price has to do is give his best mate, Nathan Fien a call. Oh no, that won't work, Price thinks Fien is a halfback.

TruSaint

Referee
Quinlan's first game at fullback showed us how tough he is and not afraid to mix it.He's a good player,hope he can fit into the 17 somehow.

Yep,

Quinlan, whilst small in stature plays above his weight.
He has some talent that needs to be developed

TheRev

First Grade
Rein - He's a potential captain in my eyes.
If he studies Smith a bit more he could be anything.

Rein as captain? no way, the guy cannot even read a football game, hes an average hooker whos main benefit is he doesnt get injured too often, and a relatively low mistake rate.

There are really 4 areas I rate a hooker in:
1) Defence
2) Passing Speed
3) Extra Halfback (Kicking/Vision/Setting-Up)
4) Speed leading to Line Breaks and Running Game

Rein is Good in defence and lacking in the other 3 categories, hes not terrible, hes just not brilliant, and given the riches we had in the hooker department, we beter hope Garvey lives up to expectations and stays fit.. &/or that Quinlan becomes the x-factor off the bench.

He tried way to hard to compensate for the lack of anything that looked like an attacking game bad coaching and crap halves certainly made it very difficult.