What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hookers for 2014

Starting and Bench Hooker for 2014

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Godz Illa

Coach
Rein as captain? no way, the guy cannot even read a football game, hes an average hooker whos main benefit is he doesnt get injured too often, and a relatively low mistake rate.

There are really 4 areas I rate a hooker in:
1) Defence
2) Passing Speed
3) Extra Halfback (Kicking/Vision/Setting-Up)
4) Speed leading to Line Breaks and Running Game

Rein is Good in defence and lacking in the other 3 categories, hes not terrible, hes just not brilliant, and given the riches we had in the hooker department, we beter hope Garvey lives up to expectations and stays fit.. &/or that Quinlan becomes the x-factor off the bench.
Absolutely. And, truth be told, Rein's defence is nothing to write home about either. He was a major contributor to our inability to slow the play the ball down in 2013, because his first contact is almost always down low, and, particularly if he's been on the field a while, often ineffective and easily bumped.

Kuro

Juniors
I would like to see Rein work more on his running game to assist in some more line breaks. That and maybe a 40/20 here and there wouldn't hurt.

BennyV

Referee
I expect a lot from Rein this year, he will have Garvey nipping at his heels and he won't have the luxury of the next hooker in line being injured all the time...

I don't think Rein is as bad as he's made out to be on here,but I do hope that Price has the guts to drop him if/when Garvey becomes the best option...

jenninga

First Grade
Is that who it will be or who it should be? Rein will start the year obviously, and I hope Quinlan gets the bench utility spot. I also hope Garvey gets plenty of chances during the year to get game time, because he will overtake Rein fairly quickly unless Rein lifts his game...

For 20s, I didn't mind Rigg last year, tackles hard and runs like a prop, but not sure how well his passing holds up. Didnt see much of Harris or didn't notice, how does he go?

Hope Rein can rebound and have a strong year and would like to see Quinlan fill the role Fien did so well as bench player.

TruSaint

Referee
Rein as captain? no way, the guy cannot even read a football game, hes an average hooker whos main benefit is he doesnt get injured too often, and a relatively low mistake rate.

There are really 4 areas I rate a hooker in:
1) Defence
2) Passing Speed
3) Extra Halfback (Kicking/Vision/Setting-Up)
4) Speed leading to Line Breaks and Running Game

Rein is Good in defence and lacking in the other 3 categories, hes not terrible, hes just not brilliant, and given the riches we had in the hooker department, we beter hope Garvey lives up to expectations and stays fit.. &/or that Quinlan becomes the x-factor off the bench.

I like this analysis Rev.

2 seasons ago, i had high hopes for Mitch, maybe due his strong runs close to line from dummy half, and surely he was playing for a contract.

Points 2-4 ring very true in 2013.

Smart post:)

Last edited:

Mr Red

First Grade
1 vote for Kyle Stanley on the poll... i didnt know Kyle was a member of the forum.

to_ddeath

Coach
Don't care, Rein is not an 80 minute hooker & never will be. Only way he can improve his own game is to play less than he has with Garvey/Quinlan as backup IMO.

T.

TruSaint

Referee
Don't care, Rein is not an 80 minute hooker & never will be. Only way he can improve his own game is to play less than he has with Garvey/Quinlan as backup IMO.

T.

I voted for Garvey, based on the little of saw of him last year.
Still Price will start with Rein, no doubt in my mind.
Rein will be seriously challenged by Garvey, whom i see as a more astute Hooker.

Agree Quinlan will be in the mix, as his versatility can fill many roles.
Good problem to have IMO.

TheRev

First Grade
Garvey needs development time though, I mean if Rein was injured sure, but if Reins fit Garvey still needs to be developed and bought on to be 1st grade ready this season.

I cant see Quinlan sitting 3rd in line for Hooker, he will start somewhere else (Cutters Fullback seems the forum favourite), I think it would be an injury crisis for him to be called into a hooker/utility role.

hardbaby

Coach
1 vote for Kyle Stanley on the poll

2 votes now.

Kyle may start in the Cutters to gain match fitness but he will be in the 17 come season end. The question is where?

I don't think he'll knock Williams out of the halves. I have never had a particularly high opinion of him as a centre. So that makes him bench utility and interchange hooker.

I'd expect Rein to remain as the starting hooker but would really love to see Garver put him under pressure.

Rein/Style...that's my vote.

nontime111

Juniors
Rein was part of the WOEFUL team of last season! Why would you give him another chance? GARVEY all the way to the moon! get fresh Dragons try something new!

bottle

Coach
Rein was part of the WOEFUL team of last season! Why would you give him another chance? GARVEY all the way to the moon! get fresh Dragons try something new!

So should we replace everybody who was part of the WOEFUL team of last season?
Radical idea, I like it.:sarcasm:

jenninga

First Grade
So should we replace everybody who was part of the WOEFUL team of last season?
Radical idea, I like it.:sarcasm:

I would start with that hack Dugan :D ,but would stick with AhMau and make him captain.Sure he would be a popular choice on here.

possm

Coach
Stanley, Beale and Hunt should make their way back through the Cutters even if they perform well during pre-season training. Likewise any first grade player - including Creagh - should do a stint in the Cutters if their form is not up to scratch and there is a suitable replacement available to take their place.

It is only by doing this will players realise that to hold your place in first grade, you must put in your best effort each game.

jenninga

First Grade
Stanley, Beale and Hunt should make their way back through the Cutters even if they perform well during pre-season training. Likewise any first grade player - including Creagh - should do a stint in the Cutters if their form is not up to scratch and there is a suitable replacement available to take their place.

It is only by doing this will players realise that to hold your place in first grade, you must put in your best effort each game.

I would think when you play 1st grade you would always put your best effort each time you play.Being out of form however is a different thing though and demotion then would be warranted.

Twenty10

Juniors

Should... But won't. All three will be starting the year in first grade. Though I am told hunt is out for the first month due to off season surgery.

Latest posts