What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hovering messages

"wasting your life here on the net" - I dont see it that way. Posting on a board such as this is an educational experience (well sometimes lol).

Religion, for me anyway, gives me a group of beliefs and ethics that i try to live by. Some people would not have a reason to live, if not forlivingto carry out 'God's will'. Call it what you will, it obviously will sound like religious wankery to you, but a lot of people think that way.

"Oh yeah, ever heard of Joan of Arc, the Spanish inquisition, the heugeonauts, Salem witch trials? Sure turned those poor buggers around into something different though I can't agree with "a lot better"

Define Better mate?? They died for their beliefs, we are looking at it from a different viewpoint. The ultimate sacrafice i would say.

"History,archealogy, astronomy, DNAandsciencebut if that's not enoughMoff then I'll settle forsimple plausabilty"

They all disprove religion do they??? Are you saying these things couldn't exist under religion. Why do u think religious beliefs are to the exclusion of all these things?? Yeh, people were killed for believing in evolution. But that was a wacky interpretation of the religion IMO. The bible is open to interpretation, that is for sure. The beliefs change, mainly due to people taking different interpretations of what the Bible is trying to say. Most of the bible chapters (the new ones anyway) were written well after the death of Jesus. To this extent, thet were taking 2nd hand information and were 'interpreting' them.

Mate, i was raised in a catholic way as well. But we were also taught about Muslims, Buddhism, Islam, Jewism etc etc. We wern't closed off to other beliefs. I know plenty of people who don't believe in anything, and it doesn't sway me. I know 1-2 people who worship Marylin Manson...i mean, good luck to them, who is to say they are wrong??

"whowas it that decided Jesus was the son ofGod and part of the holy trinity?Explain how that wonderous conclusion was formed in312 ADby a bunch of whacky political bishops toexclude 13 books of the new testament which no longersuited them.
emsad.gif
"

As i said before, just a different interpretation again. Its like reading a book twice, does your interpretation of the message the author is trying to portray ever change? Of course it does, and this is what makes different interpretations acceptable.

Im saying, well its my interpretation anyway that evolution exists under religion. I think God planned for the human race, as well as nature to evolve into(supposedly) bigger and better things. Its a religious ideal, if you don't believe in it, you obviously aren't going to agree with me. Its one way or the other

Religion doesn't as such 're-invent' itself. The fundamental principles remain (ie: love your neighbour, don't kill, respect others etc etc). The 10 commandments haven't changed. The interpretation is all that changes. I think you can slant your argument either way though, in saying that its re-invented.

Moffo

Hey get it right guys, if you gonna debate the subject at least reference the source. The time lines are clearly defined in the bible in the book of numerolgy. Just depende what calendar you use, Hebrew, Roman, Arabriacor modern.God made the earth in 7 days which relate to 1000 hebrew years for each day, got got approx 2600 years of our calendar to go before doomsday boys, best you get yourselfs ready for the event :)

Technology has improved (ie: telescopes) and people have been finding new planets. I dont know how planets are just 'created'.

Trying to explain the black hole?? I thought that was impossible, ill put it down to evolution!

lol

Moffo

Willow

Assistant Moderator

Moffo: No one is tring to disprove religion itself. IMO, it definitely does exist and for some it means social connections, good diet, healthy lifestyle. All that is fine. What I'm saying is that God was created out the imagination of people.

BTW, Do you believe in Adam and Eve?
I only ask this because not all religious people do. Many scientists still practice their faith and go to church.

Rasputin. I understand that scientists in Europe and America are only years away from recreating the same environment that singularity could exist in. Correct me if I'm wrong. They seem to have uncovered most of the theory.
LOL, Willow, not a chance in hades mate. True they arethe theory is sound but the possibilty of creating onerequires harvestingaround 3 million suns, aint gonna happen in our lifetime buddy. The theory is based around bending space/time, it's the beam me up scotty principle of worm holes, which do exist naturally due to extreme gravitational forces. It is impossible to travel in straight lines in space as everything is contained and kept in place by gravitational forces somewhat similar tohow magnets repel attract. Space is actually warped and if it can be bent then you can jump from one solar system/galaxy to another instantaneously. Great theory and actually occurs naturaly butrequires gigantic energy way beyond mans capability.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Ah gotcha rasputin.. it all comes back now. Folding time and all that stuff. I remember seeing it on Star Trek.... Jean Luc Picard and his sexy crew... now thats a religion I could get into. :D

Fair enough mate, another topic we could argue all day

And no, i dont necessarily believe in it. I feel a lot of these 'stories' were used to provide explanation for how things happened. these stories were created by the bible writers. Truth be known, they probably had nfi!

Like most things, its open to interpretation. Even what the writers of the Bible put down was an interpretation of the events that they think happened. If you compare the different disciples (and their recounts) such as John and Luke, they are markedly different

Moffo

Technology has improved (ie: telescopes) and people have been finding new planets. I dont know how planets are just 'created'.
Planets are the resultant matter of stars going super nova. Whena starimplodes iteither forms a black hole ( if it collapses back within itself) or blasts cosmic dust and minerals in a huge dust cloud ( if it shatters) which then travels throughout the universe and is eventuallyattracted and contained within the gravitational field of another star(sun) where itcondenses and solidifiesover many billions of years. This is not always the case as planets on out rings often stay as gas giants like Jupitor. New planets are constantly appearing as are solar systems etc, the universe has not stopped growing and expanding yet.Old stars blow up andcreate new stars and planets. If the conditions are right, eg the correct elements are present, thenlife is born.

Trying to explain the black hole?? I thought that was impossible, ill put it down to evolution!
Geez Moff, where you been boy. They are studying a black hole at this very moment, read the papers. You canfind them via calculating where they should be by the absence of a star withing certain groupings. The whole universeis balanced by gravitational fields and where there is a cluster of stars with a gap there is obviously a black hole otherwise the stars will be atracted closer together by gravitational forces.Everything is balanced within thegravity field ofhuge masses of matter. either stars or black holes. A black hole is astar that collapsedupon itself compressing all the matter to a ver small size, that is a star becomes1/8 its original size but contains the same matter. The graviational forceis still the same and it pulls light intoit, actually it bends it so it kindabecomes invisible but its still there.Once you calculate where it is by what stars are visible around it you can actually see the aura around it caused by the bending light. They aren't really black.

OK, they were wrong about the Sun. Point taken!!

Who wrote it: New testament was written by the disciples and several other religious scripture writers.
Catholic view on revelations: Honestly, i dont know. Sounds good though hehe

The book is not under evolution, the interpretation is what changes!! ffs!!!!!! Read my point on interpretations changing when u read a book for the 2nd time

Moffo

mate, u know a lot more about astronomy than me, ill take your word (dare i say it, as gospel!!)

Click on the chat button on the left toolbar, most of us are in there talking at the moment. Your input would be welcome!

Moffo

Ah, I decided to delete that Moff as I shouldn't really be questioning such things in public forums. One shouldn't knock others beliefs, I apologise for that mate.

Who wrote it: New testament was written by the disciples and several other religious scripture writers.
LOL Moff, your a disciple ;)
If you mean apsotle, no they did not
emsad.gif

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Okay.... lets see....
We've had an all-in brawl, discussed religion, tried to work out the meaning of life and have gone over the history of the world...is there anything else???

Willow

Assistant Moderator
I dont think ever re-addressed the issue regarding the existence of UFOs...?

Latest posts