What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we lose that game???

gregstar

Referee
poms had it all to prove and were fired up! aus has bennett & poorly performed halves - enough said!

et

Juniors
I thought Kimmorley was both good and bad - great in the first half, but a bit tired and directionless in the second. I don't think he lost it for us though. Petero Ceenevaeva and Tonga were useless. Ryan and O'Meley should have been in the starting side.

Martli

Coach
et said:
Ryan and O'Meley should have been in the starting side.

Agreed there, scrap Carroll, put Fitzy to Lock and put Ryan in at second Row. Civoenciva to the bench.

Jiffy

Juniors
GB defended well, Australia struggled to make an impact near our line. One thing this game showed is GB are a better team at punishing others' mistakes these days, Aus made the odd error and it got punished with 6 pts each time. That is what the Aussies have built their success on, ruthlessness in the face of opposition mistakes. The final is anybody's game but I wouldn't be surprised if Britain wins the competiton

The Engineers Room

First Grade
I missed the game :shock: :cry: :cry:

I like to see great contests and this Britain side looks like they can produce. Apparently, they have now shown they can. Sure it was only one game but some of the comments that Australia will beat them by 50 in the finals are just ridiculous. People have to realise that Britain has worked very hard and they are going to catch up.

BlueNGoldBlood

Juniors
it was a great game, australia was completely dominating for most of it, but gb just kept in there and took advantage of our mistakes by scoring at critical times

:clap: to both sides

Eelectrica

Referee
The reason Australia lost is pretty simple - Ill discipline. Two unneeded hold down penalties lead directly to tries.

I thought Kimmorley had a good game. Carrol and Berrigan though should be out and their continued existence in the team points to the problem of club coaches coaching at rep level - they still play favorites.

My team for the Final
1. Mini
2. Rooney
3. Tate or whoever plays the best against France.
4. Tonga
5. Sing
6. Lockyer
7. Kimmorley
8. Webke
9. Buderus
10. Omeley
11. Hindmarsh
12. Fitzgibbon
13. Hill - Needs to do a better job off when to off load though.

14. Wing
15. Ryan
16. Mason
17. Ryles if fit or Civenoceva otherwise.

JW

Coach
I really don't understand this criticism of Kimmorley by some people here.

He was by far one of Australia's stand-outs.

The way he actually attempted to stamp his authority on game, especially through his good kicking game, is more than what I can say for Graig Gower this series - who I must admit ive always favoured as our first choice halfback.

Cheers.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Kimmorley was one of Australia's best. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either biased or an idiot. Hill was crap.

Ollee

Juniors
While some of their kicks were still atrocious, the GB kicking game was markedly improved. Defence was superb and they wanted the result more than we did. I would agree with what some of the games leading experts are saying in that this GB team is the strongest its been since the 70's. How well did Carney play.....the bloke just doesn't stop.

dimitri

First Grade
kimmorely was one of australias best

quit the pathetic excuses

GB were far too good, especially in defence, and they also took their opportunities

strong_latte

Juniors
dimitri said:
kimmorely was one of australias best

quit the pathetic excuses

GB were far too good, especially in defence, and they also took their opportunities

Yeah they won, but "far too good"????? I don't think so... No offence but statistically we dominated you in 90% of the game... Your defence saved you, but that said we seriously lacked the attacking brilliance of players like Lockyer....

JW

Coach
I agree. GB we certainly not "far too good" for Australia, the game wasnt a blowout by any means.

GB defended brilliantly and deserved to win of course, but its not like Australia played poorly.

You don't need to be far too good, you only need to win. That's all that counts in the end.

Cheers.

Tommy Smith said:
Kimmorley was one of Australia's best. Anyone who thinks otherwise is either biased or an idiot. Hill was crap.

so what your saying is that whatever you think is right, and if anyone thinks differently they're an idiot? :roll:

:lol:

strong_latte

Juniors
JW said:
I agree. GB we certainly not "far too good" for Australia, the game wasnt a blowout by any means.

GB defended brilliantly and deserved to win of course, but its not like Australia played poorly.

You don't need to be far too good, you only need to win. That's all that counts in the end.

Cheers.

Yeah, and lets face it, untill "that pass" from Hill it looked highly likely that Australia would get a 5th consecutive "last gasp victory" against GB!

miccle

Bench
Let's stop playing the blame game shall we? It wasn't the refs fault, nor was it the fault of any individual player. Yes, some of our guys didn't have great games at all, but that wasn't the one reason we lost the match.

As a team, we were outsmarted and outmuscled. The GB side was on FIRE and they connected as a unit and played together. We were beaten by a better team, that's all there is to it.

Statistically the game was extremely close, but their defense was simply magic. We had plenty of field position and plenty of possession, but they didn't let us turn it into points and THAT is why they won the game.

Congrats on a well deserved win GB, and I cannot wait for the final!

strong_latte

Juniors
miccle said:
Let's stop playing the blame game shall we? It wasn't the refs fault, nor was it the fault of any individual player. Yes, some of our guys didn't have great games at all, but that wasn't the one reason we lost the match.

As a team, we were outsmarted and outmuscled. The GB side was on FIRE and they connected as a unit and played together. We were beaten by a better team, that's all there is to it.

Statistically the game was extremely close, but their defense was simply magic. We had plenty of field position and plenty of possession, but they didn't let us turn it into points and THAT is why they won the game.

Congrats on a well deserved win GB, and I cannot wait for the final!

I'm not saying GB didn't deserve to win, they played superbly, I'm simply contesting the statment that they were "far too good"... As I said, statistically we had it all over them!

Latest posts