What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we lose that game???

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I dont like Kimmorley cause he shouldnt even be there, he hardly played the second half of the season and Matt Orford has been so brilliant all year.

But just on today's match, Australia lost their cool after giving away stupid penalties that led to GB tries, after that they paniced lost the plot.

Full credit to GB, for matching with us for a while and finally getting over that line to break the drought. Their defense was just incredible, all those players mustve been thinking "Flu or no flu, we're not gonna lie down this".

The second half was a different game, and I thought after O'Meley scored that theyre gonna come back again and GB will be doing the same old same old. I think Australia did everything they could, no excuses, just so much pressure. I think the loss is a wake call, well the draw against NZ was also a wake up call as well the last minute win over GB. Gotta make some changes.

It was a fantastic game, I loved every minute of it, I think the Tri-Series has been a major event in Rugby League and should stay. This game was once again a nail-biter.

International Rugby League at it's best. A sell out crowd, a great game and the world champions toughing it out.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

miccle

Bench
True enough, but the only stat that matters is the actual scoreline.

Statistically we did match it with them well, but they held us out... which counts for so much more. So in a way, I actually do think GB were far too good for us. They had bugger all field position really (in comparison to us, anyway) so if our defense was even 75% as good as theirs, we would've kept them scoreless easily.

strong_latte

Juniors
miccle said:
True enough, but the only stat that matters is the actual scoreline.

Statistically we did match it with them well, but they held us out... which counts for so much more. So in a way, I actually do think GB were far too good for us. They had bugger all field position really (in comparison to us, anyway) so if our defense was even 75% as good as theirs, we would've kept them scoreless easily.

Yeah, I suppose you've got a couple points there, but I still think we'll win the final no problem if they play like that again and we have lockyer... I'm not "blaming" his not being there for our loss, I'm just saying he's easily capable of changing many of the negatives we had in this match into positives...

Iafeta

Referee
No two ways about it, the turning point for me was Kimmorley blundering a deadset roll the dice who wants to go on the scoresheet try. Its the last tackle, he has men screaming outside him to about 2 Great Britain defenders, he runs a couple of paces, you think good he's bringing them in further, what does he do? Takes the tackle. Blunder. Blunder blunder blunder. That was the money play. The momentum killer. Darren Lockyer or Craig Gower would not have stuffed that up, that simple. He had countless other opportunities as well, the forwards out gunned Great Britains in gaining meterage, Wing was sniping out of dummy half, but he took silly selfish options at important times.

As for Scott Hill, he hardly touched the ball because Brett Kimmorley was too selfish running the ball aimlessly and chipping to himself.

Caged Panther

First Grade
I thought kimmorely was good, scott hill was average and if lockyer is unavailable for the final and gower is then it should be a kimmorely gower combination. If lokyer is available gower lokyer.

RB30DETT

Juniors
Australia seemed like they were unsure what to do when they got into the GB 20.

And considering the last game where no one could kick a goal, was great to see no one miss.

richie8u

Juniors
Who ever stands outside Krapalley will look bad, he is a dirty ball hog, but look at what he plays with ever week, he has just got used to playing like that,

lockyno1

Post Whore
Anyone else notice that we were much better when Hill didn't touch the ball! That was his worst game in years, it's a shame but that is life. Well at least we know now the gap between Lockyer and Hill is about as long as the M5 Motorway it is that far!

GB were fantastic but our halves have to take responsibility becuase their kicking game, both late in the first half and the second half was PATHETIC! :evil:

Azkatro

First Grade
lockyno1 said:
Anyone else notice that we were much better when Hill didn't touch the ball! That was his worst game in years, it's a shame but that is life.

Yep, last time he played that bad was in Origin, wasn't it? In other words, the last time he played rep football?

CantyBull

Juniors
Hmmmmm
I thought that the halves were the difference in the game. long and mcguire probably outpointed kimmorley and hill, altho GBs kicking game was useless.

to be honest, you cant blame bennett, bacuase hill/kimmorley is a proven halves combo. if he was to pick one, it made sense to pick the other. dont get me started on initial tour selections, cos i thought neither should have been there on form.

The only real bennett blooper was not leaving o'meley on long enough. we was hard to handle for the Gb defence!!!

Australias backs were terrible. berrigan and tonga must be the weakest centre pairing for years. Big mal meninga and gene miles would have terrorised them. Sing seems suddenly inneffective.
Improvement will be needed.

my pick for final: Aus 26-20 with lockyer collection 2 tries.

Jeffles

Bench
Why GB won?

Great defence
Superb forward pack
Creative backline that keeps trying

----

Why the Aussies lost

Halves MIA
Bamboozled by the creative GB backline
FAILURE TO CONVERT EXCELLENT FIELD POSITION

-----

Why GB could still lose the next match?

Long's kicking game. Eddie and Stevo spoke about it like it was a new phenomena. He was kicking straight to the fullbak last year. That's why Deacon got the call up. But Long did well otherwise.

The Aussies will get Lockyer back. Don't underestimate him.

bartman

Immortal
simon says said:
Ive never seen a game like that in my life,we smashed them,dominated field position and possesion and didnt win.I am stunned??

I watched the game thinking,we should have been in front by 20,and we lost???

Nearly speechles.We were so much better than them in every way,our kicking game,our forwards made yards?????

It's because we couldn't take any advantage in our attack. Two tries from kicks and that's it.

Bazal said:
We lost because our halves were laughable and Britains defence was incredible.
That's the best summary of it for you right there.

bartman

Immortal
ShireShark said:
But tonight he was fairly good
His main problem was that he didnt have anyone running off him - where was Berrigan and Tonga and Minichiello?
I actually think it's a half-back (and five-eigth's) job to communicate with backs and make sure they know what you're doing and what's expected of them? You set up the plays, and therefore you create the uncertainty and provide the gaps and space for the outside backs.

I've never been a fan of halves that run just around in circles and then wonder why their teammates aren't running off them :roll: . Kimmorley and Hill got shut down badly by GB imo. Bring back Lockyer and Gower!

bartman

Immortal
Iafeta said:
No two ways about it, the turning point for me was Kimmorley blundering a deadset roll the dice who wants to go on the scoresheet try. Its the last tackle, he has men screaming outside him to about 2 Great Britain defenders, he runs a couple of paces, you think good he's bringing them in further, what does he do? Takes the tackle. Blunder. Blunder blunder blunder. That was the money play. The momentum killer. Darren Lockyer or Craig Gower would not have stuffed that up, that simple. He had countless other opportunities as well, the forwards out gunned Great Britains in gaining meterage, Wing was sniping out of dummy half, but he took silly selfish options at important times.

As for Scott Hill, he hardly touched the ball because Brett Kimmorley was too selfish running the ball aimlessly and chipping to himself.

That's a very good and accurate summary right there as well.

bartman

Immortal
But full credit to GB. The forwards' defence was amazing, especially when you consider they went in with only two big forwards on their bench (I still think of Jackson and O'Loughlin more as backs). Sculthorpe was amazing, and creative as well.

Their halves didn't set the world on fire (as mentioned, re Long's kicking game), but they still outplayed our 6 and 7. And their backline is solid, reliable and able to make the most of opportunities. GB have now put in three good halves of football in a row.

I thought Carroll and Berrigan had OK games last night, despite whether we think they should be there in the first place. Australia without Lockyer or Gower will find it very hard in the final. With one of them back it will be evenly matched. Both of them fit and selected, may be too much to wish for?

DrewBeliever

Juniors
Wellens was class in defence and made alot of yards, your fowards were flagging it!

Gleeson was awesome dealing with Tonga, and made alot of breaks.

Carney he's deffinatley our best 3/4 and some of the bombs he caught were outstanding!
I'm sure glad he's fit.

Senior had a quite match, accept for the break from Hill's poor pass with the try.

Fielden, Morley, and Baily were solid in deffence, that's where you guys lost it!!

COME ON GREAT BRITAIN

millersnose

Post Whore
out classed in defence

i thimk the main problem was the centers and wingers did nothing in attack

we need creative combinations and line breakers there

gidley tahu

i dont care just some one who will do something

Simo

First Grade
Agree. Berrigan hogged it with an over lap, and we just had no spark in attack. I think Sing has done well this year but is not performing in the test team.

Look at the work Carney is doing compared to him. He gets in there and does more than his share.

Great defense and heart shown by the poms, well done.

But in my opinion thank mr Carney. He not only defused many situations but then got you into good field position after beating many defenders to relieve the pressure.

I really enjoyed that game and it sets up a cracker of a final.

I think the Aussies need Kimmorley and Lockyer. I think scott Hill blew his chance as his impact was nil. Craig Gower and Lockyer/Kimmorley doesnt gel at all. So I think Brett and Darren should be the halves.

Good to see Andy Farrell standing up and having a go, I thought he played well.

Latest posts