What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How did we lose that game???

Davester

Juniors
It would have been awesome to see Australia enter the finals undefeated but that's been thrown out the window now, but i'm not all dissapointed really. We aren't eliminated from the finals and it's not the last time Australia will play England.

Plain and simple, they were the better team. I won't make excuses to why Australia lost. A win comes is of course given to the team that performs better and that happened, England performed better.

It's not like Australia had all sat on the sidelined and let them basically walk to the try-line. You can tell that they were giving it their all out there but it wasn't good enough to bring another win on the tally.

Both teams were hungry for a win, especially England who were desperate to make the finals.

A pat on the back to Australia, hope they bring home the finals win and upset England once again. A big upset would actually make it better haha!

Go Australia! - Your 2004 Tri-Nations Winner ;-)

Bazal

Post Whore
Kimmorley rarely has runners. you'll notice this even at Cronulla. It's because he rarely passes to his runners anyway. He's one of those halfbacks who never seems to know quite what he's doing, it always looks like he's making it up as he goes along. plus he attacks the line far too much.

JasonE

Bench
simon says said:
Ive never seen a game like that in my life,we smashed them,dominated field position and possesion and didnt win.I am stunned??

I watched the game thinking,we should have been in front by 20,and we lost???

Nearly speechles.We were so much better than them in every way,our kicking game,our forwards made yards?????

Any credit to GB at all mate ?

Hurriflatch

Referee
Yeah, maybe a lot of Kimmorley's problems came from the fact that as 5/8's Hill makes Wagon look like Wally Lewis, Brett Kenny and Cliff Lyons combined and then some.

salivor

First Grade
Whats with the Bennett bashing? This morning was his first loss as Australian coach and it took some incredible defence and determination to see his side beaten. Australia came well prepared and his only real mistake was having used up all his substitutions with 10 minutes to go.

As for Kimmorley, he was one of the better players for Australia. It's just unfortunate that whenever Australia loses everyone hammers on about what they did wrong instead of what the opposition did well.

Bazal

Post Whore
salivor said:
Whats with the Bennett bashing? This morning was his first loss as Australian coach and it took some incredible defence and determination to see his side beaten. Australia came well prepared and his only real mistake was having used up all his substitutions with 10 minutes to go.

As for Kimmorley, he was one of the better players for Australia. It's just unfortunate that whenever Australia loses everyone hammers on about what they did wrong instead of what the opposition did well.

Don't get me wrong, Britains defence was fantastic. But really, Bennett made some questionable calls regarding interchanges, and selection for that matter. Who knows, having Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon out there for close to 80 mins might have toughened up our defence. i noticed that all of Britains tries came when one of these two was off the field(actually, not sure about the first one, but the rest did)

simon says

First Grade
I thought we dominated fro 60 minutes of the game.The only credit I give to the poms is for awesome defense on their line.We kicked their arse in ever y area.How well did O Meley go??No one could takle him.And Wing when he cme on was awesome.

Im still stunned to how we lost that game.

Poms,enjot this while you ca,Bennett will tweak this and we know we are the better team.

Finall...Oz...42 to 12.

salivor

First Grade
Bazal said:
salivor said:

Don't get me wrong, Britains defence was fantastic. But really, Bennett made some questionable calls regarding interchanges, and selection for that matter. Who knows, having Hindmarsh and Fitzgibbon out there for close to 80 mins might have toughened up our defence. i noticed that all of Britains tries came when one of these two was off the field(actually, not sure about the first one, but the rest did)

I'm baffled as to what was wrong with the selection of the side. It's not his fault that his prefered starting halves pair was injured. The rest of the side was the nucleus that has gone unbeaten up until this morning.

As for the interchange, I already admit there were a few mistakes there. He shouldn't have used up his 12 so early and Hindmarsh is a great 80 minute player but he had an amazing hard running bench that he utilised well in the first 20-25 minutes after halftime. Wing, O'Meley, Ryan and Mason were ripping them apart and sparked the comeback. Unfortunately for Bennett, GB had enough resolve to hang on against the onslaught.

Bazal

Post Whore
salivor said:
Bazal said:
salivor said:

I'm baffled as to what was wrong with the selection of the side. It's not his fault that his prefered starting halves pair was injured. The rest of the side was the nucleus that has gone unbeaten up until this morning.

As for the interchange, I already admit there were a few mistakes there. He shouldn't have used up his 12 so early and Hindmarsh is a great 80 minute player but he had an amazing hard running bench that he utilised well in the first 20-25 minutes after halftime. Wing, O'Meley, Ryan and Mason were ripping them apart and sparked the comeback. Unfortunately for Bennett, GB had enough resolve to hang on against the onslaught.

I think what most people are questioning re selection is the likes of carroll, Berrigan being there, as well as Kimmorley being picked over Orford which was probably the most ridiculous selction I've seen in years.

di luvs parra

Juniors
As an Eels fan i better not say what i think of Kimmorley :-# or Bennett for that matter :evil:

I will say congrats to the Poms, great game :clap: but don't get too excited ;-)

The Observer

Staff member
Kimmorley was great. Gower has been truly mediocre this series.

We got beaten by a better team and GB deserve the credit for a good win.

salivor

First Grade
Bazal said:
think what most people are questioning re selection is the likes of carroll, Berrigan being there, as well as Kimmorley being picked over Orford which was probably the most ridiculous selction I've seen in years.

Carroll has been in the form of his life this year and the same with Berrigan since his move to the centres. I think Tonga was much more of a weakness out there today, he just doesn't have enough experience at this level yet.

As for Orford, I agree he should not only have toured but have been the first halfback selected but you can blame the Australian selection panel for that, not Wayne Bennett.

Bazal

Post Whore
salivor said:
Bazal said:
think what most people are questioning re selection is the likes of carroll, Berrigan being there, as well as Kimmorley being picked over Orford which was probably the most ridiculous selction I've seen in years.

Carroll has been in the form of his life this year and the same with Berrigan since his move to the centres. I think Tonga was much more of a weakness out there today, he just doesn't have enough experience at this level yet.

As for Orford, I agree he should not only have toured but have been the first halfback selected but you can blame the Australian selection panel for that, not Wayne Bennett.

No, I can't blame Bennett for Orford not being there, but Carroll and Berrigan should not be playing. Tonga has done well except for todays game, but Carroll and Berrigan have done very little really.

The Observer

Staff member
Gotta see the criticism of Hill was harsh. He was marked heavily and shut down whenever he got the ball. He is a class player, will be back.

Who was the best for Aus though? I'd say it was One Mean Machine (Webcke). Hit the ball up strongly all game, tackled till exhaustion. He's a phenomenal player and is deservingly in the running for the Golden Boot Award.

SFW

Juniors
I don't understand why the majority are bagging Kimmorley - Australia's best player by far, although Wing and Minichiello played very well too. Hill was awful though - never been up to much when I've seen him apart from the Broncos-Storm playoff this season. Tonga has been awful in defence all tour aswell and I can't explain how Carroll merits a place in the side.

Excellent defensive performance from GB but if Lockyer was in that Oz team we would have been looking at a pretty convincing defeat - your lot lacked his class when close to the line and with the territory Australia enjoyed I'm sure he would have been worth about 3 tries.