What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How do you rate the Knights 97 Premsiership?

Knigts premiership 97?

• Total voters

Apey

Staff member
Well, according to my bros who were in Manly after the grand final, the Manly players were quite jovial and relaxed. Plenty of lauging and carrying on. According to my bros, it didn't seem like they had just lost a grand final

Best post yet :lol:

Alex28

Coach
Let's be serious for a minute. If 1997 was a united comp the Broncos would have wiped the floor with the Knights.
Let's be serious for a minute. The Eagles - being the best team of the ARL competition - would have wiped the floor with the Knights.

Oh...wait...that didn't happen. We have NO IDEA how the Broncos would have fared against the Knights on any particular night. Just stick to the topic champ.

Threads like this are the reason RL is being held back in this country....
FFS it was 12 yrs ago...you can't change history.
Both teams won the comp they were in .
If you can't let go of the past how can RL move forward .

macavity

Referee
Well, according to my bros who were in Manly after the grand final, the Manly players were quite jovial and relaxed. Plenty of lauging and carrying on. According to my bros, it didn't seem like they had just lost a grand final

thats because they didn't care about Manly.

Yes, forum topics are the reason RL is being held back...

:roll:

Let me spell it out for you ,There are too many people holding onto past grudges .
Have a look at how long it took to actually get the ball rolling with a new commission.

If people High up in RL ,& fans can't let go of the past ...we will never move forward.

Shire Panther

Juniors
Brisbane & Newcastle both won their comps that year anbd that is how it should stay!
Someone said something about a clayton's premiership? Well that would be the 2002 GF if ever there was a Claytons premiership the best team stripped of all their points and the Roorters get up for a "premiership victory:roll:".

adamkungl

Immortal
Brisbane & Newcastle both won their comps that year anbd that is how it should stay!
Someone said something about a clayton's premiership? Well that would be the 2002 GF if ever there was a Claytons premiership the best team stripped of all their points and the Roorters get up for a "premiership victory:roll:".

You're kidding me right...you think they count as the best team when they cheated their way to the top?
We beat them to make the GF in 2003 anyway

Garts

Bench

They may have been the best but they cheated. Therefore it does not count.

Fein

First Grade
You're kidding me right...you think they count as the best team when they cheated their way to the top?
We beat them to make the GF in 2003 anyway

Your argument is compelling Adam but the fact remains the Bulldogs were the best team that year until penalised and as a result, in many people's minds, 2002 is just as big an asterix as Newcastle's "reserve grade" premiership in 1997 and The Bronco's "World Series" of the same year.

Green Machine

First Grade
The Knights fans didn’t care one bit about the match up with the Broncos in May 1998. At the time, Michael Hill was quoted as saying it was the highest ever rating show on NBN,

Alex28

Coach
We care Green Machine - however I don't think the poll is about some game in 1998. It is about the 1997 Premiership.

The history books will always say that the Broncos and the Knights won premierships in 1997. We have absolutely no idea who would have won a "super bowl" type of match - Broncos probably would have won that match-up on paper, but Manly should have won the ARL Grand Final on paper too...history says they did not.

Why is it that Raiders have to bring everyone down to their own level? It's beyond pathetic.

Loudstrat

Coach
I love how they belittle the Knights triumph in 97 to try and ramp up the comp that no one cared about. Talk about small penis syndrome.

adamkungl

Immortal
Your argument is compelling Adam but the fact remains the Bulldogs were the best team that year until penalised and as a result, in many people's minds, 2002 is just as big an asterix as Newcastle's "reserve grade" premiership in 1997 and The Bronco's "World Series" of the same year.

How do you feel about drug cheats in the Olympics that were "the best" until it was found that they were lowlife cheats?

bileduct

Coach
We have absolutely no idea who would have won a "super bowl" type of match - Broncos probably would have won that match-up on paper, but Manly should have won the ARL Grand Final on paper too...history says they did not.
We didn't know about the performance enhancing drugs then.

At the time I was shocked and seated in a stunned trance, looking at the clock, wishing the Sea Eagles had some sort of right of reply, seeing Blue & Red jerseys jump all over Darren Albert in super emotional rapture. Then I stood and clapped, realising I'm more of a Rugby League fan than a Manly fan, just like the great ARKO said, if anyone other than Manly were to win the competition, I wanted it to be Newcastle, and the game was better, so much better for it.
That's disgusting.

In the end, we were the best team, not only because we won the Grand Final, but because we also played by the rules.