What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How does Australia feel about this?

LazyDreamer

Bench
Thurston has come and said playing for the Indi All Stars was his proudest moment in League...abit of a kick in the teeth dont you think? Shouldnt representing the Kangaroos be the pinnacle?

Obviously when it comes down to it, theres still a division among the people of Australia, that this game seems to just magnify.

Obviously when it comes down to it, theres still a division among the people of Australia, that this idiot seems to just magnify.

RedVee

First Grade
If you get upset by those comments then there's something wrong with you, not Jonathan.

I'm sure he's immensely proud to represent the people of his heritage and I'm quite happy for him to be proud of the fact.

I'm also sure that the result was also deeply satisfying for him and the Indigenous people of Australia.

In fact it points to the fact that there should have been Aboriginal teams entered into World Cups etc before now. Yet Aboriginal teams have always been denied access so as to ensure the position of the Kangaroos on the World stage.

Let's celebrate the diversity and be happy for people to be proud of their roots. Just as we're happy you're deeply proud of being "Aussie".

No, they should not. The World Cup should be for national representative teams. One team per nation.
The Australian team should be the pinnacle available to Australians of ALL backgrounds.

I would be happy for the Indigenous team to play the NZ Maori on annual basis though, perhaps as a curtain raiser to the Anzac day Test?

Dirty Hoe

Juniors
im actually a kiwi...one of the boys got on here and started this. he is an aussie, so dont go bashing the kiwis, but i do typically expect it

thurstons dad is a kiwi by the way, thats the side his talent comes from!!

maccattack

Juniors
Thurston has come and said playing for the Indi All Stars was his proudest moment in League...abit of a kick in the teeth dont you think? Shouldnt representing the Kangaroos be the pinnacle?

Obviously when it comes down to it, theres still a division among the people of Australia, that this game seems to just magnify.

His comment had nothing to do with division. It was about pride in his heritage, but I think you know this and are just sh*t stirring.

Thurston is a very popular player amongst ALL League fans. Nobody gives a second thought to whether he or any other player is Indiginous or from Mars.

It's the character of the person that matters here. Australians arent the racist stereotype some would like to imagine us to be.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Nothing to do with you being a Kiwi. You're just making ill-informed and dumb posts.

The only division I see is from people such as yourself.

Perhaps you missed the game.

It was a celebration of indigenous culture and rugby league. A fantastic promotion for the game and not a hint of division.

Everyone had a great time, there were families and friends and a game of football. What better way to bring people together?

Ziggy the god said:
Funny, where does he say that he is not proud playing for the Kangaroos?

I must also be going blind, because I swear I saw him singing the National Anthem on Saturday night.
Well that's right ziggy, Aborigines are Australian too. Some people don't get this.

When the national anthem was played, everyone stood up and many people in the crowd sang along - more than I normally hear at a game. There were lots of aboriginal flags about, people singing. No politics, just thousands of people enjoying the event. I normally don't get into the sentiment of things, but for all intents and purposes, it was a proud Australian moment.

Btw, other threads on this. Including this: http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=352040
http://forums.leagueunlimited.com/showthread.php?t=352040

Red Dwarf 1

Juniors
In fact it points to the fact that there should have been Aboriginal teams entered into World Cups etc before now. Yet Aboriginal teams have always been denied access so as to ensure the position of the Kangaroos on the World stage.

I think the reason behind there not being an aboriginal representative side previously is because no one wanted the aboriginal representatives or aspiring representatives of the Kangaroos to be torn between choosing either side.

Personally, I have no issue with aboriginals stating that it is their proudest moment of playing for their people and culture.

Small mindedness from some posters on this site is to be expected, fortunately, they're in the minority.

Borat.

Juniors

Obviously 1- you are trolling, or 2 you are a complete moron.....or 3 both

Why should representing the kangaroos mean more than playing for your family, and restoring the pride of your heritage & background. The game was a massiv lift to the confidence of indeginous people everywhere, the PM appeared on tv and gave his 2 cents worth, when did that last happen at a kangaroos match

This was more than a sporting contest.....

There are and always will be divisions everywhere, racism will always exist, and if you compare the history of australia to most other countrys we can hold our heads high...

Britian was the first country to start ethnic cleansing, hanging drowning Jews and running Jews out of the country ( Edward the first)

USA- Slavery...kidnapping africans ......civil war

Malysia race riots, chinese v malay v indians mass killings

NZ has also had racism evident in its governmental policy.....

typicalfan

Coach
This is an example of what I meant in the Hunt thread in terms of less tangible things that overall can mean more than money. There is an article where Neil Henry states that this event could be the thing that keeps Thurston in League.

It is proof that it is a great concept and a concept the players want to be a part of.

And I never thought of it as an us v them mentality at all, sure it was great to cheer the Indigenous team or the all stars but to me it is the quality of the game that matters. I can watch all 8 games of footy a week and can do it without a vested interest in 7 of those 8 games.

Good on Thurston, it just shows what a great role model he can be for the game and will most likely have plenty of doors open for him at the end of his career down that path. That is what being a good role model can give you in the game.

Hanscholo

Bench
Aboriginal Australians, are Australian too. Why wouldnt he be proud of playing for a side made up of his brothers, what better moment could an indigenous player hope for? The fact that Thurston rates it extremely highly is a matter for Thurston...Its nobody elses business why he feels like that.

meltiger

First Grade
Golden Boys comments are hardly unusual if you want to attach it specifically to the National Side.

Does anyone rememer Mal Meninga's comments when interviewed immediately post the '89 GF?

Mal saw winning a preniership as a more important personal achievement, JT saw representing his hertitage as a more important achievement.

Nothing to do with any divides whatsoever.

Last edited:

drake

First Grade
i say good on him. it's a rare occasion that indiginous australians get to represent their culture in a positive and exciting way, and that is a shame. representing your country is one thing - representing your people, culture and heritage is a different thing altogether.
/agree
The indigeneous side coming to fruition was an accomplishment in itself and he has every right to feel proud of that. I hope they all felt proud; they certainly played well.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I say good on him. Its not very often players get to represent their heritage and culture.

Also just imagine Arthur Beetson, Eric Simms and Larry Corowa if the Aboriginal Team was around back then.

LESStar58

Referee

Different strokes for different folks. I mean, a lot more people prefer Origin to internationals but we don't get up them now, do we?